“Great Kenyan hotel”

Kenya Comfort Hotel
Ranked #84 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed 25 January 2012

This is a great Nairobi hotel. If you want somewhere Western look elsewhere. When I was dropped off I had my doubts, but as soon as I entered the lobby, met the staff, was escorted to my room I felt at home. This place encapsulates African charm, efficiency and friendliness. Granted it could do with being refurbished, but that might take away the magic. In fact, take that back. Don't refurbish it. Leave it as it is. The staff are wonderful. Breakfast is great. Strong reliable WiFi in the rooms. Nice bar showing English Premier League matches and serving meals as you watch. The local beer,Tusker, is more than acceptable, and round the corner is a great supermarket and pizza place (on Terrific Tuesday you get two for the price of one - try the veggie, superb). My room was cleaned spotless every day. Looked like nobody had been there before. Didn't see one bug, which is always important for me. So the only warning is this: if you want plastic, sanitised conditions you may not enjoy the Kenya Comfort, however, if you want to feel at home as a guest of Africa's finest hospitality from the moment you arrive, then the Kenya Comfort is the place.

Room Tip: I had room 603 which had air con. It was on the front and some people advised against this because o...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank breweruk

Reviewed 13 January 2012

Kenya Comfort was really nice.... we spent three nights here in Jan 2012. The staff were awesome.... Martin, Fred, Walter, Jackie and all the rest whose names i did not master. All of you are very nice workers. I will always stay at Kenya comfort whenever i am in Kenya

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank josh l
Reviewed 8 January 2012

This hotel was not bad, so normal. You can stay here for couple of nights without any harm, maybe slightly disgusted from the room, furniture and bathroom. But you won’t enjoy it at all. Don’t expect anything like in three star Europe hotels. It was, if I close one eye, like the worst one star hotel, but with the price of the good four almost five star hotel.
The location was quite good, to close to see the city by walking, so there was no need to take taxi if you want to go to the Kenyatta International Conference Centre or other tourist attractions close to this. Also very good supermarket is just a couple of meters from the hotel.
But the hotel – breakfast was quite bad, or maybe we just were not used to these tastes. The room: very small, not in good conditions, quite old and used furniture, bed sheets, pillows, mattresses etc. To flush the toilet properly was really big deal. It was almost impossible so we almost broke the flush a couple of times. Our second room (after we came back from safari) did not flush at all. We asked for another room and they change it without any problems.
So to compare all this with the hotel price, we would not go back to this hotel at any rate. For the same price, it must be something better in Nairobi.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SepsiSlovakia
Reviewed 2 January 2012

This place is well located and secure (which we quickly realized is important in Nairobi - even the pizza place next door had security issues), but not worth anything like the price. We booked a superior room - the most expensive of our three week stay in Africa - hoping for a little luxury before flying home. The rooms are just about big enough for a double bed (we couldn't open the door with our luggage in place), and have no fan or air conditioning. The water only warmed up after running the tap for long periods and at times didn't work at all. Certainly no better than a genuine budget option, which this doesn't price itself as.

Most of the noise in the corridor in the morning seemed to come from cleaning staff (who actually knocked on the door on our first morning to ask if we were 'extended our stay' - we were asleep, and had already booked a second night, as well as having a 'do not disturb' sign on the door.)

The breakfast is pretty poor, and the restaurant takes an extremely long time to produce meals that are ordered even slightly off peak (so the 24 hour thing isn't actually all that useful). It's not an awful place at all, it's just relative to the price, you could get a lot more (we stayed in much nicer places for less than half the price), and the service was fine but disorganised when it came to quite a few things. The steam room was laughable - room temperature, and directly next door to the conference room through clear glass. The men's toilet in the restaurant also has a view of the kitchen through opaque glass, which is pretty odd.

You could do worse, but it's not worth the money. Read a few other reviews here for the replies from the hotel, too - the endless excuses will give an idea.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hvc27052011
Reviewed 21 December 2011

I stayed at KC with a couple of people for a few nights before heading out on our next leg of our trip. The KC is a great starter hotel in Kenya because there are lots of food options literally on the same block, it's around the corner from nakumat, and it's a couple blocks from a java house. They have several computers for you to use (they charge a fee), but offer free wifi. There's also a bar and restaurant which I don't recommend. Breakfast was awful and you'd save yourself some disappointment if you walked the 4 blocks to Java House.

pros: comfy bed, big windows, ultra safe.
cons: noise level is a little high on rooms that face monrovia, the shower isn't separated from the rest of the bathroom. seriously, it's just curtained off from the sink which makes the entire bathroom a drain.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 November 2011

I disagree with one reviewer who recommended Hotel Kipepeo. The staff at the hotel will tell you that their credit card system is not working so that you pay in cash. You don't wanna do that if you want to leave a trail of where you went...just in case...Kenya Comfort Hotel is just fine if you are out for just accommodation without fancy extras.They accept most major credit cards too :)

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
kchensuites, General Manager at Kenya Comfort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

Thank you for taking your time to let the rest know the true picture.
Our mission is to make our guest’s stay a memorable one by being a better destination being far away from home.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

This is a great little hotel in Nairobi. I wanted a hotel that was clean (and insect-free), safe and convenient ... at a reasonable price. And this hotel definitely fulfilled all my requirements. I initially stayed for 2 nights and even cancelled an existing reservation (in a more up-market hotel) to come back for another 1 night stay. The bed is comfortable, mosquito net is provided. The bathroom, although small is perfectly adequate and the shower is great, plenty of hot water and very powerful (unlike some of the miserable showers in some more fancy hotels I stayed in during my trip to kenya). The staff were very friendly, and did their best to help .... even lent me one of their own city maps when I asked. The only bad point was the noise from the street .... my first stay was during the week and there was no problem with noise, but my second stay was on a Friday night and it gets quite loud outside ... a back-facing room would be best. The security in the hotel is very good, at least 2 security guards on duty at any time and the area seemed to be safe. Location is also convenient. I would definitely recommend this hotel. I'm not connected to the hotel but was just very impressed, given that I was unsure of what to expect from such a hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the rear of the building
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lynn S

We most sincerely thank you for your genuine and honest feedback.

At times it is costly to spare your most valued time to construct and post a feedback. Lets share your good experience together.

We do agree that noise is an issue being located in city centre but we are glad to inform you that just directly opposite direction there is a building under construction whose outer part is complete now this serves as an indication that noise levels have reduced tremendously. Further afar there is a new hotel offering accommodation but they operate a club on Fridays. Given time they will also realize that the same noise is affecting their guests though we have raised this issue with their management.

We further thank you for the compliment you made about our staff and general quality service standards and look forward to welcome you back again.