“Great hospitality but too noisy”
Review of JamboHouse

and 1 more site!
JamboHouse
Ranked #1 of 34 Lamu Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Arnold the German owner of this bed and breakfast is a very good host; informed us about Lamu, provided a map, told us about good restaurants to eat at (though we didn't agree!), and organized tours. We were on the ground floor and it was very noisy - people walking bye our window day and night, talking to each other, on the phone. I am not sure the first or second floor would be much better. But generally, for the price, it was a good place to stay. Look elsewhere if you are looking for a quiet Lamu experience though.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for first or second floor!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear franco05, thank you for staying with us.
The time you were staying here there was a big wedding next house and, of course, a lot of people are there, waiting to get in the house... Yes, it's true, people are passing by at the small street but usually it is much better! We have a lot of returning guests!
About the recommendation for restaurants you are talking about (and reviewed), this is one of the favourite restaurants from our JamboHouse guests.
We wish you all the best,
ARNOLD, owner JamboHouse Lamu

There are newer reviews for JamboHouse

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Great location in downtown Lamu, EXTREMELY good value-for-money, with a nice rooftop and large breakfast. Arnold is extremely helpful - he will organize your pick up, suggest the best guides and boat trips. This is highly recommendable - other operators might suggest overpriced tours, his recommendations turned out to be very very good.
Keep in mind that downtown Lamu is noisy - independent in which house you stay. Also, this is a simple guest house, not a five star resort. If you are looking for the real Lamu with a great owner and unbeatable value for money, don't look further.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floors are quieter
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Thank you, Markus, for your review. Although it was only a short stay for you in Lamu we are happy you enjoyed your trip to Lamu and your stay at JamboHouse. And I guess you really enjoyed arriving in Lamu, going immidiately on a sunset dhow cruise with your friends.
We offer clean and safe accommodation at very reasonable rates, a lot of extra services free of charge and plenty of information about exploring Lamu, the archipelago and other areas in Kenya. For us it is also important to have a good relationship with locals, the people we work with and we are happy to have these good guides, boat captains,.... Most of them I know already since JamboHouse started five years ago. As I like travelling so much, for me it is important that our guests get the best experience to enjoy Lamu.
We wish you all the best and hope to see you again. Karibu tena!!
ARNOLD, Damaris and Adam

Reviewed 13 July 2013

Such a wonderful place to stay in Lamu. The owner of the guesthouse, Arnold, is the absolute best! So kind, welcoming, and helpful. Upon arrival, he served my friends and I some fresh fruit juice and gave us an information session on all of the different places to see and eat at Lamu. So helpful. When we were leaving, I left a pair of shorts in the room accidentally. I was already on the boat headed for the bus station but Arnold ran all across town to catch me and return the shorts to me. He goes way above and beyond!

The rooms are nice and spacious too and very clean! Plus, the breakfasts are delish! Fresh fruit (mangoes, passion fruit, papaya), coffee/tea, juice, and your choice of eggs/pancakes with toast. So worth the money!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Thank you for your review, Justine. Well, what can I add? Travelling is my passion and so we do our best that our guests can enjoy Lamu as much as possible. Next time you should try our French Toast! Our guests also like it very much. We wish you all the best and hope to see you again at JamboHouse. ARNOLD

Reviewed 27 June 2013

Me and my friend stayed at Jambohouse for five nights (instead of the three nights primarily planned) and we both think that Jambohouse is one of the absolutely best budget guesthouses we have ever been too! It feels as if the owner, Arnold, has set his goals in making Jambohouse the perfect guesthouse.

Upon arrival, everyone gets a personal welcome and introduction by Arnold into Lamu. He can also help arranging boat trips (we did a very recommendable tour to Manda Island), hikes, guided tours, dinners at local families, etc.

The rooms are simple but charming and cleaned daily. The terrace is fantastic (especially in combination with some cold tuskers taken out of the ice box). Breakfast is really great (fruits, freshly squeezed juice, eggs or cereals to your liking, toasts with jam and butter, etc.).

For being a budget alternative, it is amazing which service and quality Jambohouse delivers! Arnold makes the place stand out and we felt extremely well taken care of. You feel at home.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Dear Krakan, thank you for taking your time to write this review.
I want to provide a clean, safe and affordable accommodation for our guests. I did (and still do whenever it's possible) a lot of travelling and that's my experience to make the stay for our guests as good as possible. We still have a guest questionnaire and I read all comments. And in case there is something we should change we just do it.
Hope you enjoyed your stay in Watamu after you left Lamu and we also hope to see you again at JamboHouse, Lamu
JamboHouse-Team wishes you all the best,
ARNOLD, Damaris and Adam

Reviewed 25 June 2013

Three of us (females) friends, decided on a trip to Lamu - one of the ladies had been there before and had stayed at Jambo House with Arnold. She assured us it was safe, as we had heard stories of Pirates etc - well what utter nonsense. Lamu is a safe Island and the 3 of us walked around freely -day & nite with only friendly greetings (& such helpful people). Arnold helped us decide on dhow trips & siteseeing. What a wonderful 4 nites we spent there. It was good value for money, basic rooms & very clean. Arnold is well travelled and can help with any queries!! Thank you for a special different holiday!

Room Tip: All rooms are simple and adaquite. One of our rooms upstairs had a small balcony, which was perfect...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2013

i stayed with a friend here (I am Kenyan and she is American) over easter holidays. Arnold is the reason why you have to stay at jambo guest house, very friendly and passionate about travel. He was helpful in having us get the best places to eat at and get our moneys value, had trusted associates for the dhow trips that were reasonable in price, and the rooms were clean safe and comfortable...

I had my first snorkeling experience here and will definitely be back....

Good Job Arnold and team...

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Hi Judy, thank you for your review. Yes, I do like traveling so much and over the last few years I traveled all over Kenya - it's a beautiful country. And so, I could also give our guests a lot of information about other places to go or to stay in Kenya. When I have time I also explore other places in Lamu/Lamu Archipelago and so we have a some very interesting walking tours/activities what other guesthouses don't offer. We hope to see you again in the future. Karibu Lamu!! All the best. ARNOLD, Damaris and Adam

Reviewed 23 April 2013

Rooms are clean and simple, breakfast was excellent. Roof terrace was cosy. With this price, I think its very hard to find a place as good as this. Arnold was nicest and most helpful guy, we were not his easiest customers but he showed us a lot of trust and helped us. That loyalty really made our holiday special. Sheila is more clean and more sterile than Lamu town, but if you are an adventurer who really wants to find out what this island is all about, I think Jambo house is excellent place for that.

Thanks Arnold,

-Tuulikki and Lasse

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Hi Tuulikki, Hi Lasse, thank you for staying with us. It was our pleasure to have you as our guests. Sometimes some things in Lamu doesn't work perfectly (you know what I mean...) and we try to help our guests as much as possible. You were really easy guests, absolutely no problem.
Lamu Town is UNESCO Wold Heritage Site and its culture makes Lamu unique. And Shela Beach is easy to reach by boat in 20 minutes. It's realaxing and you could take nice pictures of seafront. We wish you all the best, and hopefully, you get a nice finnish summer. ARNOLD