JamboHouse
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sunsail Hotel(Lamu Island)
  • Beachfront
Lamu Palace Hotel(Lamu Island)
Jannat House(Lamu Island)
Kijani Hotel(Lamu Island)
Peponi Hotel(Lamu Island)
  • Pool
The Majlis Resort(Manda Island)
Kizingo(Lamu Island)
  • Beachfront
All reviewsjambo houserooftop terracethe ownerdhow tripbudget accommodationold townlamu townfresh fruitwelcome drinkplace to stayuseful informationrooms are cleanprivate bathroomceiling fanhelpful with tipssunset tourthe ground floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 September 2013

My best friend, mom and I stayed at Jambo House in August of 2013. Though we were only in Lamu for 3 nights, it was an absolutely amazing experience. Jambo House was almost exactly what we were looking for, located amidst the turns and alleyways of Lamu town. If you are looking for something fancy, this isn't for you. That said, my mom hasn't done a lot of traveling and she was more than fine with the room (we were there when the weather was perfect so no A/C wasn't a problem!).

On top of the facility, Arnold was very helpful, offering to set up daily excursions and explaining in detail a multitude of options for how to fill our time on the island. I highly recommend the fishing trip, though I won't elaborate as words can't do justice to this experience.

The streets in Lamu town can get a little noisy at night and it is very audible from the room, this is the only downside of the place. That said, the noise didn't keep us awake and didn't go on late into the evening. If you are looking for a great budget option, Lamu house is the way to go!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Thank you for your review.

We are not a 4* or 5* Hotel but we offer clean and safe accommodation at very reasonable rates. And on top of this, extra services without extra charges and personal service with a lot of information about Lamu, restaurants, excursions and we work with reliable local people who I know since a long time already. And about the fishing trip, tomorrow we have another trip with our guests.

Lamu is a muslim town - you hear prayers in the morning, people wake up early but that's all over Lamu Town and that's typical for Lamu.

We wish you all the best and hope to see you again at JamboHouse, Lamu.

ARNOLD

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Arnold the German owner of this bed and breakfast is a very good host; informed us about Lamu, provided a map, told us about good restaurants to eat at (though we didn't agree!), and organized tours. We were on the ground floor and it was very noisy - people walking bye our window day and night, talking to each other, on the phone. I am not sure the first or second floor would be much better. But generally, for the price, it was a good place to stay. Look elsewhere if you are looking for a quiet Lamu experience though.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for first or second floor!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear franco05, thank you for staying with us.
The time you were staying here there was a big wedding next house and, of course, a lot of people are there, waiting to get in the house... Yes, it's true, people are passing by at the small street but usually it is much better! We have a lot of returning guests!
About the recommendation for restaurants you are talking about (and reviewed), this is one of the favourite restaurants from our JamboHouse guests.
We wish you all the best,
ARNOLD, owner JamboHouse Lamu

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Great location in downtown Lamu, EXTREMELY good value-for-money, with a nice rooftop and large breakfast. Arnold is extremely helpful - he will organize your pick up, suggest the best guides and boat trips. This is highly recommendable - other operators might suggest overpriced tours, his recommendations turned out to be very very good.
Keep in mind that downtown Lamu is noisy - independent in which house you stay. Also, this is a simple guest house, not a five star resort. If you are looking for the real Lamu with a great owner and unbeatable value for money, don't look further.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floors are quieter
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Thank you, Markus, for your review. Although it was only a short stay for you in Lamu we are happy you enjoyed your trip to Lamu and your stay at JamboHouse. And I guess you really enjoyed arriving in Lamu, going immidiately on a sunset dhow cruise with your friends.
We offer clean and safe accommodation at very reasonable rates, a lot of extra services free of charge and plenty of information about exploring Lamu, the archipelago and other areas in Kenya. For us it is also important to have a good relationship with locals, the people we work with and we are happy to have these good guides, boat captains,.... Most of them I know already since JamboHouse started five years ago. As I like travelling so much, for me it is important that our guests get the best experience to enjoy Lamu.
We wish you all the best and hope to see you again. Karibu tena!!
ARNOLD, Damaris and Adam

Reviewed 13 July 2013

Such a wonderful place to stay in Lamu. The owner of the guesthouse, Arnold, is the absolute best! So kind, welcoming, and helpful. Upon arrival, he served my friends and I some fresh fruit juice and gave us an information session on all of the different places to see and eat at Lamu. So helpful. When we were leaving, I left a pair of shorts in the room accidentally. I was already on the boat headed for the bus station but Arnold ran all across town to catch me and return the shorts to me. He goes way above and beyond!

The rooms are nice and spacious too and very clean! Plus, the breakfasts are delish! Fresh fruit (mangoes, passion fruit, papaya), coffee/tea, juice, and your choice of eggs/pancakes with toast. So worth the money!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Thank you for your review, Justine. Well, what can I add? Travelling is my passion and so we do our best that our guests can enjoy Lamu as much as possible. Next time you should try our French Toast! Our guests also like it very much. We wish you all the best and hope to see you again at JamboHouse. ARNOLD

Reviewed 27 June 2013

Me and my friend stayed at Jambohouse for five nights (instead of the three nights primarily planned) and we both think that Jambohouse is one of the absolutely best budget guesthouses we have ever been too! It feels as if the owner, Arnold, has set his goals in making Jambohouse the perfect guesthouse.

Upon arrival, everyone gets a personal welcome and introduction by Arnold into Lamu. He can also help arranging boat trips (we did a very recommendable tour to Manda Island), hikes, guided tours, dinners at local families, etc.

The rooms are simple but charming and cleaned daily. The terrace is fantastic (especially in combination with some cold tuskers taken out of the ice box). Breakfast is really great (fruits, freshly squeezed juice, eggs or cereals to your liking, toasts with jam and butter, etc.).

For being a budget alternative, it is amazing which service and quality Jambohouse delivers! Arnold makes the place stand out and we felt extremely well taken care of. You feel at home.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Dear Krakan, thank you for taking your time to write this review.
I want to provide a clean, safe and affordable accommodation for our guests. I did (and still do whenever it's possible) a lot of travelling and that's my experience to make the stay for our guests as good as possible. We still have a guest questionnaire and I read all comments. And in case there is something we should change we just do it.
Hope you enjoyed your stay in Watamu after you left Lamu and we also hope to see you again at JamboHouse, Lamu
JamboHouse-Team wishes you all the best,
ARNOLD, Damaris and Adam