“Simple and Great at the Same Time”
Review of JamboHouse

and 1 more site!
JamboHouse
Ranked #1 of 34 Lamu Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Jambo House is another piece of adventure altogether. My wife and I spent our first honeymoon week at the guest house and I must say we received a 5-star treatment. Arnold I guess as everyone has already said is a wonderful host and the small team of Adam and Miriam made our life comfortable and undisturbed!
We had the upper room and it was less noisy, the alley ways to the guest house made our visit unique and my wife took lots of photos along the alleys. Arnold was very helpful with the excursion preparations. We took the donkey ride to Shela beach and the dhow trip to Manda Toto! Everyone should try the dhow trip it was awesome and Arnold gave correct info on the best and trustworthy captains for both. We actually did our own fishing!!
We had a great time and for the budget traveller, there is no better place for a stopover than Jambo House. Arnold is a passionate traveller/adventurer and would help your stay be better in Lamu. We look forward to a second visit to sample what we could not, and also enjoy the discounts!

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms are more airy and less noisy, you also get the view of the town from the balcony!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear Fresh O, first of all congratulations again for your wedding and the whole JamboHouse Team wishes you all the best for your future together.
We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and also the excursions. Especially during a honeymoon everything should be perfect although we always treat our guests as friends. As I already mentioned in a reply to another review, currently we are upgrading rooms and we will also install soundproof windows for the rooms on the ground floor this coming weekend.
We are looking forward to see you again at JamboHouse and, once again, all the best!!
ARNOLD

Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

I am so happy that me and my friends found this place to stay in Lamu. Arnold is the best host that you can ask for, starting from the reservation process, he really makes you feel welcome. The place is great, in the town center and easy to find thanks to the signs that show you the way. The rooms are super clean, the breakfast is amazing and the terrace in a great place to have a beer and chill out! I strongly recommend it!!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank mcorozco129
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear mcorozco129, thank you for your great review. You were our first guests from Colombia, and currently, we have another couple from Colombia as our guests.
Well, there is one thing to add to your review: our terrace is also a very nice place to check mails (we have free wifi internet which is much more stable again). And we also provide there free coffee/tea afternoon time. Especially the time during sunset is a very nice time to relax on the sunbeds, listening to the prayers.
Welcome back - Karibu tena.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

I had an all round wonderful experience staying in Jambo house during my five day visit to Lamu. The guest house which is located in the heart of Lamu offers secure, clean, and comfortable accommodation plus a very hearty breakfast....great value for the budget traveler.
Arnold and his team were very hospitable. Arnold with his great knowledge of Lamu gave great options on things to do in Lamu. I never once felt bored while i was there in large part due to the vast information he gave about the town. The boat trip I took to Manda Island and Takwa ruins, which was one of many excursions that Arnold arranges for his guests, was the highlight of my trip to Lamu. I cannot rave enough on how great this was. Damaris and Adam, who work at Jambo house have to be applauded as well for the how they consistently did their best to ensure that visitors at the guest house were comfortable. They never tired in answering all the questions I asked them on a daily basis regarding the town.

My stay at Jambo House exceeded my expectation and I would glady recommend it to those seeking to experience Lamu on a budget but without compromising on comfort.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear Althea, thank you for staying with us and thank for taking the time to write this review. As I love travelling so much, it is very important for me to provide a clean and safe place to stay at reasonable rates. We also offer some excursions what other guesthouses/hotels don't offer. Regarding dhow trips, we work with two boat captains who are great (very nice and comfortable boats, fantastic food, nice crew) and our guests are very happy with them. I'm also happy to have Damaris and Adam in my team - both of them are working for JamboHouse since several years already.
We hope to see you again at JamboHouse in the near future. Lamu is a great break to escape busy Nairobi.
We wish you all the best,
ARNOLD, Damaris and Adam

Reviewed 18 September 2013

My best friend, mom and I stayed at Jambo House in August of 2013. Though we were only in Lamu for 3 nights, it was an absolutely amazing experience. Jambo House was almost exactly what we were looking for, located amidst the turns and alleyways of Lamu town. If you are looking for something fancy, this isn't for you. That said, my mom hasn't done a lot of traveling and she was more than fine with the room (we were there when the weather was perfect so no A/C wasn't a problem!).

On top of the facility, Arnold was very helpful, offering to set up daily excursions and explaining in detail a multitude of options for how to fill our time on the island. I highly recommend the fishing trip, though I won't elaborate as words can't do justice to this experience.

The streets in Lamu town can get a little noisy at night and it is very audible from the room, this is the only downside of the place. That said, the noise didn't keep us awake and didn't go on late into the evening. If you are looking for a great budget option, Lamu house is the way to go!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Thank you for your review.

We are not a 4* or 5* Hotel but we offer clean and safe accommodation at very reasonable rates. And on top of this, extra services without extra charges and personal service with a lot of information about Lamu, restaurants, excursions and we work with reliable local people who I know since a long time already. And about the fishing trip, tomorrow we have another trip with our guests.

Lamu is a muslim town - you hear prayers in the morning, people wake up early but that's all over Lamu Town and that's typical for Lamu.

We wish you all the best and hope to see you again at JamboHouse, Lamu.

ARNOLD

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Arnold the German owner of this bed and breakfast is a very good host; informed us about Lamu, provided a map, told us about good restaurants to eat at (though we didn't agree!), and organized tours. We were on the ground floor and it was very noisy - people walking bye our window day and night, talking to each other, on the phone. I am not sure the first or second floor would be much better. But generally, for the price, it was a good place to stay. Look elsewhere if you are looking for a quiet Lamu experience though.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for first or second floor!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear franco05, thank you for staying with us.
The time you were staying here there was a big wedding next house and, of course, a lot of people are there, waiting to get in the house... Yes, it's true, people are passing by at the small street but usually it is much better! We have a lot of returning guests!
About the recommendation for restaurants you are talking about (and reviewed), this is one of the favourite restaurants from our JamboHouse guests.
We wish you all the best,
ARNOLD, owner JamboHouse Lamu

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Great location in downtown Lamu, EXTREMELY good value-for-money, with a nice rooftop and large breakfast. Arnold is extremely helpful - he will organize your pick up, suggest the best guides and boat trips. This is highly recommendable - other operators might suggest overpriced tours, his recommendations turned out to be very very good.
Keep in mind that downtown Lamu is noisy - independent in which house you stay. Also, this is a simple guest house, not a five star resort. If you are looking for the real Lamu with a great owner and unbeatable value for money, don't look further.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floors are quieter
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Thank you, Markus, for your review. Although it was only a short stay for you in Lamu we are happy you enjoyed your trip to Lamu and your stay at JamboHouse. And I guess you really enjoyed arriving in Lamu, going immidiately on a sunset dhow cruise with your friends.
We offer clean and safe accommodation at very reasonable rates, a lot of extra services free of charge and plenty of information about exploring Lamu, the archipelago and other areas in Kenya. For us it is also important to have a good relationship with locals, the people we work with and we are happy to have these good guides, boat captains,.... Most of them I know already since JamboHouse started five years ago. As I like travelling so much, for me it is important that our guests get the best experience to enjoy Lamu.
We wish you all the best and hope to see you again. Karibu tena!!
ARNOLD, Damaris and Adam

Reviewed 13 July 2013

Such a wonderful place to stay in Lamu. The owner of the guesthouse, Arnold, is the absolute best! So kind, welcoming, and helpful. Upon arrival, he served my friends and I some fresh fruit juice and gave us an information session on all of the different places to see and eat at Lamu. So helpful. When we were leaving, I left a pair of shorts in the room accidentally. I was already on the boat headed for the bus station but Arnold ran all across town to catch me and return the shorts to me. He goes way above and beyond!

The rooms are nice and spacious too and very clean! Plus, the breakfasts are delish! Fresh fruit (mangoes, passion fruit, papaya), coffee/tea, juice, and your choice of eggs/pancakes with toast. So worth the money!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Thank you for your review, Justine. Well, what can I add? Travelling is my passion and so we do our best that our guests can enjoy Lamu as much as possible. Next time you should try our French Toast! Our guests also like it very much. We wish you all the best and hope to see you again at JamboHouse. ARNOLD