“Good budget accommodation”

and 1 more site!
JamboHouse
Ranked #1 of 34 Lamu Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

This is a no frills budget hotel however it does provide a very good value for money.

The owner gives you a welcome drink on your arrival and provided a helpful map of Lamu. They can arrange trips etc and were helpful in advising what we should pay for taxi boats.

The room was basic but provided anything we needed. And there was a lovely terrace where you can watch the sun set over the town. The only downside was that our bathroom wasn't on suit although it was still private.

If I was to return to Lamu I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Dear Mark A, thank you for your review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay at JamboHouse but I want to clarify one thing. We have three different types of rooms: 1 double room with integrated bathroom and private balcony, two double rooms with integrated bathrooms and two double rooms with private bathroom (not shared) but outside the room. You decided to book this room.
We wish you all the best & welcome again.
Greetings from JamboHouse-Team Lamu

Reviewed 11 November 2013

This is a very late review, but I was in Lamu early this year, in March 2013. I was doing a overland trip to Kenya at the time, and I decided to visit Lamu. Jambo house seemed a perfect fit, and it didn't disappoint. I know it's been said a million times here, but the owner Arnold is very helpful and very kind. He can basically arrange everything you'll want to do in Lamu. The place itself was pretty good too. Only downside is that there's no A/C, and wireless internet signal is kind of weak(maybe only in my room), but other than that, it's all great, for the price you're paying.

Some say they don't like it because it's in the middle of old town, and beaches are far away, but for me if you want beaches you should visit some other islands. The thing I loved the most about Lamu was its amazing people, its old architectures, and their culture. So to be in the middle of it all, it was just very fun and enjoyable. Arnold was very helpful in my stay there. If I ever go back to Lamu, I know Jambo house will be where I go again. Thanks for pleasant memories.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank kchae
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I visited Lamu in early Oct. and spent two nights in Jambohouse.

The facility is basic but value for money. The room is not luxury, but clean and cozy. It's enjoyable to sit on the terrace drinking Kenya coffee with cool breeze blowing from the sea.

Arnold the owner is warm-hearted and responsible. He knows Lamu very well and arranged very good old town excursion and dhow trip for us. He help to buy the bus tickets to Mombasa and choose the front seats. He is more like a friend.

Room Tip: If you prefer quiet room, don't choose those on ground floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear catcatyue, thank you for staying at JamboHouse and we are happy you and your parents enjoyed your stay with us. Unfortunately, you didn't have so much time in Lamu but we tried (and obviously managed it) to arrange a good program for you to enjoy Lamu as much as possible during your stay.
Right now, we are upgrading rooms: we already put additional garment racks and hangers (locally made) in every room, we also did already some small changes in another room and for the rooms on the ground floor we will install soundproof windows. This should be done during this coming weekend.
We wish you all the best & hope to see you again in Lamu and at JamboHouse.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Jambo House is another piece of adventure altogether. My wife and I spent our first honeymoon week at the guest house and I must say we received a 5-star treatment. Arnold I guess as everyone has already said is a wonderful host and the small team of Adam and Miriam made our life comfortable and undisturbed!
We had the upper room and it was less noisy, the alley ways to the guest house made our visit unique and my wife took lots of photos along the alleys. Arnold was very helpful with the excursion preparations. We took the donkey ride to Shela beach and the dhow trip to Manda Toto! Everyone should try the dhow trip it was awesome and Arnold gave correct info on the best and trustworthy captains for both. We actually did our own fishing!!
We had a great time and for the budget traveller, there is no better place for a stopover than Jambo House. Arnold is a passionate traveller/adventurer and would help your stay be better in Lamu. We look forward to a second visit to sample what we could not, and also enjoy the discounts!

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms are more airy and less noisy, you also get the view of the town from the balcony!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear Fresh O, first of all congratulations again for your wedding and the whole JamboHouse Team wishes you all the best for your future together.
We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and also the excursions. Especially during a honeymoon everything should be perfect although we always treat our guests as friends. As I already mentioned in a reply to another review, currently we are upgrading rooms and we will also install soundproof windows for the rooms on the ground floor this coming weekend.
We are looking forward to see you again at JamboHouse and, once again, all the best!!

Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

I am so happy that me and my friends found this place to stay in Lamu. Arnold is the best host that you can ask for, starting from the reservation process, he really makes you feel welcome. The place is great, in the town center and easy to find thanks to the signs that show you the way. The rooms are super clean, the breakfast is amazing and the terrace in a great place to have a beer and chill out! I strongly recommend it!!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank mcorozco129
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear mcorozco129, thank you for your great review. You were our first guests from Colombia, and currently, we have another couple from Colombia as our guests.
Well, there is one thing to add to your review: our terrace is also a very nice place to check mails (we have free wifi internet which is much more stable again). And we also provide there free coffee/tea afternoon time. Especially the time during sunset is a very nice time to relax on the sunbeds, listening to the prayers.
Welcome back - Karibu tena.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

I had an all round wonderful experience staying in Jambo house during my five day visit to Lamu. The guest house which is located in the heart of Lamu offers secure, clean, and comfortable accommodation plus a very hearty breakfast....great value for the budget traveler.
Arnold and his team were very hospitable. Arnold with his great knowledge of Lamu gave great options on things to do in Lamu. I never once felt bored while i was there in large part due to the vast information he gave about the town. The boat trip I took to Manda Island and Takwa ruins, which was one of many excursions that Arnold arranges for his guests, was the highlight of my trip to Lamu. I cannot rave enough on how great this was. Damaris and Adam, who work at Jambo house have to be applauded as well for the how they consistently did their best to ensure that visitors at the guest house were comfortable. They never tired in answering all the questions I asked them on a daily basis regarding the town.

My stay at Jambo House exceeded my expectation and I would glady recommend it to those seeking to experience Lamu on a budget but without compromising on comfort.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear Althea, thank you for staying with us and thank for taking the time to write this review. As I love travelling so much, it is very important for me to provide a clean and safe place to stay at reasonable rates. We also offer some excursions what other guesthouses/hotels don't offer. Regarding dhow trips, we work with two boat captains who are great (very nice and comfortable boats, fantastic food, nice crew) and our guests are very happy with them. I'm also happy to have Damaris and Adam in my team - both of them are working for JamboHouse since several years already.
We hope to see you again at JamboHouse in the near future. Lamu is a great break to escape busy Nairobi.
We wish you all the best,
ARNOLD, Damaris and Adam

Reviewed 18 September 2013

My best friend, mom and I stayed at Jambo House in August of 2013. Though we were only in Lamu for 3 nights, it was an absolutely amazing experience. Jambo House was almost exactly what we were looking for, located amidst the turns and alleyways of Lamu town. If you are looking for something fancy, this isn't for you. That said, my mom hasn't done a lot of traveling and she was more than fine with the room (we were there when the weather was perfect so no A/C wasn't a problem!).

On top of the facility, Arnold was very helpful, offering to set up daily excursions and explaining in detail a multitude of options for how to fill our time on the island. I highly recommend the fishing trip, though I won't elaborate as words can't do justice to this experience.

The streets in Lamu town can get a little noisy at night and it is very audible from the room, this is the only downside of the place. That said, the noise didn't keep us awake and didn't go on late into the evening. If you are looking for a great budget option, Lamu house is the way to go!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Giriama, Owner at JamboHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Thank you for your review.

We are not a 4* or 5* Hotel but we offer clean and safe accommodation at very reasonable rates. And on top of this, extra services without extra charges and personal service with a lot of information about Lamu, restaurants, excursions and we work with reliable local people who I know since a long time already. And about the fishing trip, tomorrow we have another trip with our guests.

Lamu is a muslim town - you hear prayers in the morning, people wake up early but that's all over Lamu Town and that's typical for Lamu.

We wish you all the best and hope to see you again at JamboHouse, Lamu.