“Top Notch from Beginnning to End”
Review of Msafini Hotel

and 1 more site!
Msafini Hotel
Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
“Top Notch from Beginnning to End”
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I loved this place. They rescued me from my dingy and drab guest house in Lamu Town, and I was blown away at the level of service and quality of the place for such an affordable price. Beautifully furnished rooms, clean place from top to bottom, great food, and just a nice vibe that allows you to completely unwind and relax. I still can't get over the quality of the place. I was prepared for something more like a budget hotel given the price, but was so nicely surprised. I will recommend this place again and again when given the opportunity. I also liked the location -- right in the middle of this small little town that allows some exposure to a day-in-the-life of people in Shella without it feeling intrusive. All in all, a great place.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 3rd floors have especially great views!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Arabic first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 15 December 2012

We spent 4 nights at Msafini in July this year and it was a wonderful experience. I would have loved to stay many more nights. Friendsly and helpful staff, no hassle, good food, flexible cook and waiters, - not to mention the fantastic view. You could spend the whole day just admiring the beauty of the place! When I go back to Lamu island, I will definitely make sure I stay in Shela town and at Msafini Hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for the one with private balcony (3rd floor)
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Msafini Hotel certainly impressed from the word go. I had planned a surprise engagement for my fiancee and both Mohammed Ali (Hotel Owner) and Faraj (Hotel manager) were up to the task. Upon arrival, Mo arranged for our pick up from the airport and also for boat transfers to the hotel where we were warmly welcomed and ushered to our 3rd floor suite that had a panoramic view of Manda Island as well as the largest patio ever, complete with an oversize hammock/daybed that became our constant companion for the 3 days we stayed. The rooms were spotlessly clean, traditional wood furniture enchanting and Gira, our ever attentive waiter attended to our every need. The hotel has a rooftop restaurant, but we never had to use it as all our meals were served on our patio that had a private dining table overlooking the ocean. The food was excellent, but a little pricey. The pool, though not very private, provided a welcome relief from the scorching sun during the day as well as night. Mohamed and Faraj arranged for me to propose to my fiancee in a traditional ceremony known as "kirumbizi" that was attended by practically the entire shela village community! Unbelievable!!She had no words, but to say "Yes"!!! We ended up staying an extra night for an unforgettable 4 days stay that we shall remember for the rest of our lives.
Easy on the pocket and with a wonderful staff, I would definately recommend the Msafini Hotel.
We have already booked a year ahead for our anniversary!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul O
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I booked this hotel as an air/hotel/transfer package through Lamu Homes and Safaris. I wanted a hotel that was moderately priced with an ocean view. This hotel fit all of my requirements.

We were pleasantly surprised when we made it to our 3rd floor room. There was a huge patio with a dining table, suspended bed with mattress, coffee table and chairs and a built-in banquet.

The bedroom had one queen-sized bed and one twin bed. The bathroom was very large with shower, toilet, sink and plenty of room for storage.

Once we settled in, we ordered from the hotel menu which had lots of choices. We were also introduced to the breakfast menu which also had many choices. Breakfast was served on the patio at your preferred time during breakfast hours 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM.

For lunch I ordered a grilled garlic shrimp dish with cocunut rice, and my boyfriend ordered chicken byiani also with coconut rice. The food was delicious and the portions large. The coconut rice was the most flavorful that I had ever had. And, the shrimp was very good as well.
We also have fruit shakes which were delicious as well.

Lamu is a predominately Muslim island and alcohol is not served at most places. The Peponi Hotel, which is about a 5 minute walk away, is the only hotel that sells alcoholic drinks on Shela.

Overall, we throughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The staff was very attentive and brought a personal touch to our stay. They would chat with us after bringing our meals up for service.

At night it was very quiet even though the buildings are close to each other, and the hotel is located in a residential neighborhood.

In the evening we sat on the patio and star-gazed. It was so peacful. So relaxing.

I would highly recommend the Msafini Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask the the room on the 3rd floor with the large paito. There is no elevator so be prepared to walk...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Msafini for a training course and wish I'd had more time to enjoy the facilities-the daybed on my private balcony, the pool etc. Rooms are traditional and thus quite open, which does mean it's not terribly private and you will hear noise (from within the hotel and outside)-but the impeccable service more than makes up for it (a member of staff accompanied me to the local shop when I needed airtime to ensure I didn't get lost in the winding alleys). I hope to be back.

• Stayed August 2012
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed 18 August 2012

A very lovely hotel with nice staff. Very relaxed atmosphere and a very nice village. The food was good, the place to enjoy it (on your own balcony on the daybed) was great. We used the pool extensively. The daytrip with the dhow and fishing was very nice. Our freshly caught lunch (and supplement from the market) was great.
Only downside was some noise in the night because of the window not being able to close properly.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Went there a couple weeks ago during the low season and had a great experience. The rooms were clean and large. The sheet were clean, and they all had mosquito nets. Got a room with a balcony to hang out on, which was nice as well.

The roof top has amazing views and great food! Breakfast is delicious.

The only drawback is that the hotel is a bit away from the ocean, but it makes the hotel much quieter at night.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
#2 of 6 in Shela
Kizingo
Kizingo
#2 of 10 in Lamu Island

Been to Msafini Hotel? Share your experiences!