“Great place, but no hot water, and the management isn't great!”
Review of Msafini Hotel

and 1 more site!
Msafini Hotel
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great place, but no hot water, and the management isn't great!”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I would give this hotel a higher rating. The rooms are nice, staff were very good, and the food was fantastic!! We would always eat dinner on the rooftop, and the lobster, crab, prawns, etc.... were amazing! It is well priced as well.

The main reasons for a 3 star review were that we didn't have hot water throughout our 1 week stay. We never even heard anything about it from management. Also, when I was checking out, the manager was nowhere to be seen. I couldn't pay the bill by credit card because of this. My colleague had to pay my bill when he checked out, and apparently then, even with the manager present, the whole process was a bit of a joke.

That aside though, a fantastic stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Arabic first
Nairobi
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I visited Msafini Guest house during low season and besides there no being other tourists on the island, I was given the treatment of a King. I was lucky to get the best room on 3rd floor with a large balcony where I had my yoga stretch time and meals.

Shela was so beautiful from the view of my balcony, the staff were really nice and walked with me to Lamu town and were very helpful with arranging a fishing trip for me. I would greatly recommend the hotel. Do not let the yellow bug building deceive you.

Room Tip: the 3rd floor room is very large and has the best views of Shela and the ocean..
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 20 February 2014

This hotel is an excellent value. The rooms were spacious and clean and the beds were large and comfortable. The manager was there to greet us upon arrival and the staff were incredibly helpful and attentive, providing excellent service from carrying our bags, to personal wake up calls, to having our breakfast ready however and whenever we wanted (Thanks, Willy!). The location is in the heart of Shela and a 3 minute walk to Shela Beach or to the shoreline that goes to Lamu. The 4/5 rating is due to that the hotel boat they have is overpriced (500KSH vs 100KSH at the dock) and the food at the rooftop restaurant was good but not great. I would absolutely stay at Msafini the next time I visit Shela.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Exedeus
Thika, Kenya
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Msafini. This was our second trip to Shela. We love the island and the people. Our first time in Shela we stayed at Banana House. They did not have any available rooms. We would happily go back to Msafini. They went out of their way to make it an enjoyable experience for us!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Digby, Canada
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel the first week of January '14 and loved it. The staff were super from the moment we arrived on the island carrying our bags from the boat a short distance to the hotel. The same staff cleaned our rooms daily and served our meals. They were very accommodating as far as hours for meals. A particularly good waiter, John, served us most of our meals. It was a pleasure to dine on the Mango Rooftop Restaurant with warm breezes and breath-taking views.It was hard to leave this relaxing environment.

Room Tip: Good to get a room with a balcony
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Kakamega, Western, Kenya
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I can't say enough about this place. My boyfriend and I stayed here for only one night and we actually thought they may have had us confused for other people, maybe someone rich or famous, based on the quality of service we received. It was THE most affordable option on Shela and I can't imagine having a better experience in any of more expensive hotels. From the moment you get off of the boat, the staff is there for you and will cater to your every need, they even assign you a personal attendant! We had John helping us the whole time and he was absolutely phenomenal- he went into town to buy our bus tickets on his break because he insisted that we should have more time on the beach, bought us some beer from the hotel next door (alcohol is not served there) and brought it to our room, and gave us great advice on how to spend our time in Lamu. To add to all of that, the rooms are incredible! We had a great view of the beach, our own huge private veranda, a nice hot shower, and fresh flowers sprinkled across the bed when we arrived. I wish we could have stayed here longer, honestly couldn't have asked for more- I highly recommend Msafini Hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Nairobi
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed there for four nights and it was just wunderful. Friendly staff, exellent food, very clean, nice ambiente and a never ending Beach.....
For people looking for a real swahili place on a island without motorised traffic just to put on top of the list!

Room Tip: The tripple room on the 3rd floor has a realy big balcony for its one where you also can have your m...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
#3 of 34 in Lamu Island
Dudu Villas n Cottages
Dudu Villas n Cottages
#9 of 26 in Lamu Island

Been to Msafini Hotel? Share your experiences!