“A surprising disappointment”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 26 October 2013

With all of the incredible reviews on here, my friend and I went expecting a fantastic time. I'll start with the good. The view is just absolutely fantastic. It's at a part of the sea front that's not overloaded with people so it's quiet with a wonderful view of the water. The ambiance is great as well. And that's where my good ends. The food was mediocre at best, though priced high. Our service was terrible. As in, getting to the point of begging our server to pay attention to us. We also went with the Lamu House to their beach club and had a great experience with delicious food so I'm just hoping that we hit the Moonrise on a bad night.

Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

The food was delicious as was to be expected from Lamu House and the Moonrise restaurant. This was our sixth day of absolute culinary bliss. Tonight was Friday night at Moonrise. Perfect ambient music was played throughout dinner at a nice volume. Through a combination of organ, percussion, tambourine, and Islamic voice emerged a beautiful Swahili melody throughout our dinner. We feasted on bruschetta, crab salad, grilled eggplant with calamari sauce, a soup filled with delicacies of the ocean, the main course was a fantastic millet served with sweet potato and a shrimp/calamari vegetable garnish. Everything was tasty, even to a person who does not like fish. I have found a new appreciation for fish after this visit. The dessert was divine: homemade vanilla ice cream with mango and mint. This was a perfect end to our perfect vacation! Thank you for everything and we can't wait to come back.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Moonrise serves some of the best food I had in Africa. Great menu selection, excellent cocktails, fabulous service and beautiful ambience.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

fresh food prepared fresh everyday. Pleasant wait staff who catered to you an wonderful Belgium chocolate deserts!

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We ate breakfast and dinner at Moonrise all 3 days of our vacation in Lamu. The food never disappointed and the group of 4 of us always shared, so we could order a little of everything and try new things each day. My favorites are the avocado stuffed with crab and the hummus!