Subira House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sunsail Hotel(Lamu Island)
  • Beachfront
Lamu Palace Hotel(Lamu Island)
Jannat House(Lamu Island)
Kijani Hotel(Lamu Island)
Peponi Hotel(Lamu Island)
  • Pool
The Majlis Resort(Manda Island)
Kizingo(Lamu Island)
  • Beachfront
All reviewseco friendlinessplace to staycompost toiletsexcellent tastewake up callold towntwo nightslamu townwonderful staytop floorstunning placefreshly squeezed juicemiddle of towndelicious foodevery eveningread a bookyogurt
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stayed here on a business trip and loved it. Stayed in one of the top rooms. Very nice and big. The house is very charming. One needs to get used to the bucket eco friendly toilet which is outside your room. No doors in bathrooom/toilet. Owners very warm and friendly. They have nice organic food and they do a lot of work within Lamu to preserve the environment and to promote clean spaces.
Please note that the morning prayers will jolt you from dreamland.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Overall I enjoyed the stay for my partner's birthday.
House is beautiful, well laid out and airy. The gardens and plants are a joy. We stayed in the "top top room" which I would recommend - lots of airy relaxtion areas outside the bedroom and wonderful views.
The first two nights there were us and another couple there and on the last night only us so the place was very quiet.
Service was good and unobtrusive. The price was okay for the quality.
The place is ideally situated right in the middle of town just behind the Square and the Old Fort and just 2 mins from the Sea front.
We had breakfast there everyday which was very good. We never had an evening meal there as we like to eat out and try different places.

On the downside Capt. Jelani - the resident "guide" only seemed interested in trying to sell us anything (boat trips, certain Restaurants and Walking Tours) where he could earn money. Coming from the Kenyan Coast he reminded me of an ageing Beachboy. He tried too hard and was too obvious.
Another downside is the fact that there are several mosques very close by and you are awoken at 5.30 am every morning with the call to prayer being played very loudly over a loudspeaker. I didn't take them up on the offer.
The other downside (some would argue it is a plus) was the use of Ash Toilets. I am all for Ecology but it has to be carefully weighed up against the Hygene aspect. In my humble view I found them unhygenic and would prefer the flush type.
The owners were away in Sweden so I never had a chance to debate this point with them.
Overall the stay was very enjoyable - would I stay there again - YES

Room Tip: Go for a "top top room"
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank westwoodboy
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I stayed at Subira for three nights over my birthday in August at the end of a period living in Nairobi, such a beautiful house. Very beautifully renovated with an obvious regard for the environment and cultural history. Two highlights of my stay, returning from a beach day ( Manda beach ) to find happy birthday spelt out in petals on my bed. Plus the food.
I ate the 3 course dinner 2/3 nights, well a strong 10/10, so much food - beautifully cooked. Really the best meals I've had in my 9 weeks in East Africa.

Room Tip: Huge beds, the Eco loo takes a bit of getting used to.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I stayed on my own in Subira House for five nights and it was just wonderful; it couldn't have been a more pleasant environment. The place is so beautiful and relaxing, and in an excellent central location. I never felt lonely as the owners and staff were so friendly, as well as the other guests! The breakfast was delicious and I sorely missed it once I left. The three course evening meal was also incredible, best tuna I have ever eaten! What really attracted me to Subira House was its eco-friendly credentials, and I learnt so much about how to live more sustainably. Really wish their compost toilets would be installed elsewhere in the world. The only advice I would give is bring earplugs as the morning prayer and sounds of the street can be quite loud! Thank you Christina and Paul.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Charlie W
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Had a wonderful 2 night stay here very recently and from the minute you walk in the place is fantastic. It is what Lamu is all about, classic Swahili style with all furnishings in the classic Swahili style with many features that remind you of where you are all the time. I stayed in the Top Top Room which is great, large room, large open relaxing area with a big seating area with a sea view and a great place to unwind and catch the breeze. Food is very good, I had lunch with the staff on my arrival so treated to some delicious Ugali! Breakfast is very good and the whole place makes you feel very relaxed. This is a great place to stay to get a feel for Lamu and its history. Christina the owner really made me feel welcome and nothing was too much trouble. I would recommend this place to anyone visiting Lamu for the first time, the only place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo