“Perfect place to unwind after safari!”
Review of Peponi Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lamu Island
Peponi Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Lamu Island
Punta Arenas, Costa Rica
“Perfect place to unwind after safari!”
Reviewed 5 March 2011

After two weeks on Safari my husband surprised me with a a three day retreat to Peponi's. We changed our flights home and stayed a week. Everything was perfect and fell in love within our first five minutes of arrival. Sitting on the balcony sipping our drinks and indulging ourselves on sashimi and oysters we felt like we could never return to our lives...and we live in the tropics in an area that many call paradise. Our room was incredibly clean and the bed was more comfortable than mine at home. Waking to the morning call to prayer is something we will always remember, truly beautiful. The hosts and staff were beyond accommodating and friendly, and we knew that anything we needed or any question we had would be tended to with warm personal attention. The food..we gained weight! It was amazing, mouth watering and always plentiful. We still speak of our time here on a regular basis and recommend it to everyone! Although this review comes very late, thanks to everyone at Peponi's that helped make the couple from Costa Rica have an amazing 40th 50th birthday and unwind after two weeks on safari bouncing around a car and sleeping tents! The perfect place!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Arabic first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 March 2011

We spent 3 days at Peponi in Jan and it was the best experience we have had in Africa.We have travelled from Australia 11 times to Africa and the food, yes the crab dish was outstanding.We could not fault anything with this hotel and think the bad review must have stayed at another hotel.Managment, staff .location and rooms and food the best.We are going back next year for a longer period .

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ronnie081
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 25 February 2011

I have always envied people who had their favorite hotel in the world. A place to return to and to dream of. As many other I have visited many hotels over the years but I haven't found my favorite hotel - the special place. Until now! Now I know what it's like to have a favorite hotel. Thank you all, Carroll, Lars and Adrew! See you again in October!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MortenChristensen
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed 18 February 2011

I cannot believe that one of the reviewers can qualify this hotel as "bad"??? Did he really visited the same hotel? This hotel is so unique and charming and has the best cuisine in Africa I ever tasted! Not only the seafood is great (especially the dressed crab: huge portion for a unbelievable interesting price - compared to European prices) but everything we ordered was just great. We had a wonderful room with splendid view (the ocean just in front and at the backside of the room: the village). If you prefer a charming small hotel with excellent service to the big tourist hotels at the Kenyan coast, this is the place to be!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Nairobi
Reviewed 1 February 2011

This restaurant / bar has a monopoly on the island and because of this they do not try. The food here was the worst I have had in Africa and probably the most expensive. Chicken (crumby & dry) and mashed potatoes (fishy which I have an allergic reaction to) sounds easy but they made a pigs ear out of it. The service was clunky and the staff were surly and unresponsive due mainly to the fact that the owner doesn't trust them to handle money so easy transactions become drawn out affairs.

The bread here was delicious as were the samosas but certainly not worth it for the money spent.

I very rarely review in this manner. I feel obliged to warn others that are planning on proposing here.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bemee1
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 30 January 2011

From the moment we arrived, we were loved and welcomed at the beautiful Hotel. I will be recommending this to everyone traveling to kenya/lamu.

Absolutely astounded by the super friendly staff, I feel like I've known them for years from how caring they were. Waited on hand and foot! Brilliant brilliant! Nothing bad to say about the whole experience. They organized guides and tours around the towns and snorkeling gear was on hand without even asking. Too many great things to compliment.

Here's some pictures on my blog! Best time of my life. Absolutely great!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank RobertAhern
nairobi
Reviewed 19 January 2011

The location of hotel, ambience etc superb
managemnet and staff friendly and very accomodating
food good
lots of excursiosn if required and also quiet if required
best place in lamu

#3 of 34 in Lamu Island
Subira House
Subira House
#6 of 34 in Lamu Island

Been to Peponi Hotel? Share your experiences!