All reviews swahili house the owner old town home away from home lamu town norbert wilson arab rooftop peace
Reviewed 5 September 2012

i stayed in Baytil Ajayib with my love and it was soo lovely! Malik was a wonderful host. the place is like straight out of an Arabian movie . staying with malik you get the all the stories and history of Lamu. our last night Malik made us the lamu drink of choice called Dawa in swahili meaning medicine made of vodka,lemon juice and honey frozen very yummy. Lamu is very safe you can walk around with your camera or phones and the locals are friendly. i will recommend it to anyone and we are definitely going back!

Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ilhanharley
calvin paul W, Owner at Baytil Ajaib, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2018

Thank you so very much for this heart felt description of Baytil Ajaib and that we were able to portray the real essence of what we re concerned and desire most sincerely to share with our esteemed clients in this rare delicate culture that is slowly disappearing.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

It was a perfect ending for me and my sister after a long safari trip to stay at Baytil Ajaib. I knew I was going to have a great time at the place the minute I walked into this beautiful house, and I did. Malik is a wonderful host that anyone could have asked for, every night we would go up to the rooftop with a bottle of wine and chat the night away. As many others, Malik took me and my sister around town, took us to lunch on the beach and chilled at his best friend's coffee shop. I am definitely going back there, and this time....will stay longerrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sid440

Reviewed 26 April 2012

I am so horribly late with this review and I am absolutely ashamed of myself for it!

I stayed at the lovely Baytil Ajaib in August 2011 for just about a week. I can honestly say that it was the BEST hotel experience that I have ever had. From the warm welcome and tour of the town on our first night to the exquisite dinner prepared by Malik on my birthday, it was a non-stop tour de force of perfect service and hospitality.

And just when I thought that it couldn't get any better, Malik and Norbert presented me with a beautiful scarf as a birthday present.

I continue to rave about Baytil Ajaib and highly recommend making this your home away from home when visiting Lamu.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank patriciae206

Reviewed 30 January 2012

I enjoyed my stay with Paul at Baytil Ajaib as always. My last visit was more than 10 years ago when Paul and Norbert first purchased this beautiful home. It has come a long way since then. Paul is the perfect host, and along with the other guests celebrating Christmas at Baytil Ajaib, we traveled by boat to other parts of the island for lunch, sightseeing, cocktails, and dinner, and making for a beautiful and exotic rendevous for all to enjoy. This is the kind of place one wants to return to time and time again just for the rest and tranquility of the island, and the meeting of interesting people from all over the world.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 August 2011

I recently had a simply wonderful 10 day stay at Baytil Ajaib. I have visited several times before and keep coming back. Norbert and Malik treated me regally. My apartment was grand and comfortable. The high Swahili beds make for a deep, relaxing sleep and there are many soft day beds for reading and chatting. Many days, I didn't even leave the house. Baytil Ajaib is an calm retreat where I was surrounded by beautiful Swahili architecture and exotic decor. The true gem of Baytil Ajaib is the generosity and kindness of Malik and Norbert. I can't wait until my next visit!

Room Tip: This is a grand home with lovely apartments.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo