“The place to stay in Lamu”
Review of Baytil Ajaib

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lamu Island
Baytil Ajaib
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Lamu Island
Reviewed 22 December 2012

I spent 9 fantastic days at Baytil Ajayib and it was truly magical. Malik was such a wonderful host always making sure all expectations were met and often exceeded. The location was perfect, just a short little walk from the waterfront thru the intriguing walkways in the old town of Lamu. No cars, buses, or taxis and only the braying of donkeys or the call to Prayer at the many mosques were the sounds of the village.
The old house was so tastefully decorated with care and love, and it was fun to have Malik recap the hard work that went into creating this wonderful house, almost one that could have time traveled back from days of the Arabian Nights. The furnishings were all so authentic and honest, and Malik had many books scattered about recapping the history of the architecture of the area was well as discussing the antiques that made it such a living museum.
His staff were always on, smiling and willing to help as needed, and the Maasi askari at night guarding the front gate gave an aura of safety. Never once did I feel in the least at risk as to personal well being.
The locals were very proud of their village and were always asking if you needed help and how you liked Lamu. It was a hard place not to like.
I cannot say enough nice things about this B and B. It is something you will have to experience yourself.
Thanks again Malik for such a wonderful visit.

Jim from Minnesota

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 12 October 2012

This B&B is a large, renovated, traditional Lamu home with four separate apartments - each with its own outdoor sitting areas and day beds. Very private and furnished with rich mahogany antiques, fantastic limestone etchings, and handmade carpets, it feels like a trip back in time. The ocean breeze cools the rooms wonderfully and in the evening it is lovely to hear the gentle call to prayer lift across Lamu. This place is a treasure. The owner is an American who has become a noted authority on traditional Lamuan architecture and culture. He was a joy and spent a great deal of time with us, sharing his knowledge and passion for the island. I can’t recommend Baytil Ajaib more highly. After spending afternoons on the beach, sailing, and strolling around the markets, the hotel was a luxurious setting in which to read, play bat gammon, and take naps.

Room Tip: If the call to prayer might disturb you in the morning, ask for a lower floor or the east side. The...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2012

i stayed in Baytil Ajayib with my love and it was soo lovely! Malik was a wonderful host. the place is like straight out of an Arabian movie . staying with malik you get the all the stories and history of Lamu. our last night Malik made us the lamu drink of choice called Dawa in swahili meaning medicine made of vodka,lemon juice and honey frozen very yummy. Lamu is very safe you can walk around with your camera or phones and the locals are friendly. i will recommend it to anyone and we are definitely going back!

Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ilhanharley
Reviewed 23 May 2012

It was a perfect ending for me and my sister after a long safari trip to stay at Baytil Ajaib. I knew I was going to have a great time at the place the minute I walked into this beautiful house, and I did. Malik is a wonderful host that anyone could have asked for, every night we would go up to the rooftop with a bottle of wine and chat the night away. As many others, Malik took me and my sister around town, took us to lunch on the beach and chilled at his best friend's coffee shop. I am definitely going back there, and this time....will stay longerrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sid440
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I am so horribly late with this review and I am absolutely ashamed of myself for it!

I stayed at the lovely Baytil Ajaib in August 2011 for just about a week. I can honestly say that it was the BEST hotel experience that I have ever had. From the warm welcome and tour of the town on our first night to the exquisite dinner prepared by Malik on my birthday, it was a non-stop tour de force of perfect service and hospitality.

And just when I thought that it couldn't get any better, Malik and Norbert presented me with a beautiful scarf as a birthday present.

I continue to rave about Baytil Ajaib and highly recommend making this your home away from home when visiting Lamu.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank patriciae206
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I enjoyed my stay with Paul at Baytil Ajaib as always. My last visit was more than 10 years ago when Paul and Norbert first purchased this beautiful home. It has come a long way since then. Paul is the perfect host, and along with the other guests celebrating Christmas at Baytil Ajaib, we traveled by boat to other parts of the island for lunch, sightseeing, cocktails, and dinner, and making for a beautiful and exotic rendevous for all to enjoy. This is the kind of place one wants to return to time and time again just for the rest and tranquility of the island, and the meeting of interesting people from all over the world.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2011

I recently had a simply wonderful 10 day stay at Baytil Ajaib. I have visited several times before and keep coming back. Norbert and Malik treated me regally. My apartment was grand and comfortable. The high Swahili beds make for a deep, relaxing sleep and there are many soft day beds for reading and chatting. Many days, I didn't even leave the house. Baytil Ajaib is an calm retreat where I was surrounded by beautiful Swahili architecture and exotic decor. The true gem of Baytil Ajaib is the generosity and kindness of Malik and Norbert. I can't wait until my next visit!

Room Tip: This is a grand home with lovely apartments.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
#7 of 10 in Lamu Island
Kizingo
Kizingo
#3 of 10 in Lamu Island

Been to Baytil Ajaib? Share your experiences!