“Fantastic guesthouse with an fantastic owner!!”

Stopover Guest House
Ranked #9 of 32 Lamu Island B&B and Inns
“Fantastic guesthouse with an fantastic owner!!”
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Stayed for two nights on Stopover Lamu and four nights in Shela and totally fell in love! Hamid, the owner, is an fantastic man and the rooms and balconys are just wonderful to relax in. Hamid helped us with everything from booking bustickets to the best dhowtrips ever with great staff and fresh fish barbecued on the dhow!
So all my recommendations and lots of love to Hamid.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank agnetadelin

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Tainan, Taiwan
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I stayed 3 nights at Stopvoer. The room is spacious especially the bathroom. Having breakfast and relaxing at the terrace was more than nice. The staff is simply wonderful, very nice, helpful and friendly. The day I left was my birthday. They sang me the happy birthday song. A young boy called the boat that went to the airport, carried my backpack and walked the the dock with me. If I ever get a chance to go to Lamu again, I will definitely stay at Stopover. Lamu Tamu!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Since Stopover is the first guesthouse you see when arriving at Shela's seafront from Lamu, my gut instinct was to see where else we could stay, but we could not have imagined a more perfect, relaxing (and very clean) place. Hamid, the manager of Stopover, made us feel very comfortable and safe, and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful.
Stopover is a spacious, airy and beautiful building. The top floor room has breathtaking views of the channel from its huge private balcony - on which you can have breakfast every morning and gaze up at the millions of stars at night.

Room Tip: Top floor is the best room - and worth the difference
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Priya P
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Having stayed in various places in both Lamu town and Shela, Stopover blew us away with its amazing rooms, great views over the sea, amazingly friendly and helpful staff, and clean, good facilities. There's even a kitchen on the second floor where we made a great dinner and eat on the terrace overlooking the sea

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the sea!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dakar, Senegal
Reviewed 19 June 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the stopover guesthouse for two nights in June 2012. After two nights in Lamu Town at the beautiful Subira House, stopover was recommended by the staff. It is a small guesthouse with just 6 rooms, situated right on Shela Beach. We took a room on the second storey, a beautiful, simple and clean room with stunning beach views. The staff were friendly, and were happy to bring us freshly squeezed juices and our meals to our lovely balcony table and/or day bed!

Stopover was amazing value, being low season, and Lamu being so quiet, we were able to negotiate what we felt was an extremely reasonable price. Our stay at stopover and on Shela Beach was the perfect way to end our holiday.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kellyinafrica
London
Reviewed 14 January 2012

If you're on a budget, Stopover is the perfect place to stay in Lamu. A great location, with most rooms having a view over the sea. Every morning I watched people coming and going, donkeys transporting goods to Lamu town, men sitting on the huge olive tree outside chewing the fat, the man with the orange beard feeding the cats. It's a short walk to either the long stretch of beach in Shela or Lamu town (although it was so hot when I went walking wasn't really an option).
The rooms are simple; Lamu beds (with nets), a table and hanging space with a clean en-suite wet room but what more do you really need? They were cleaned every day (fresh sheets). The restaurant seemed to need a fair bit of notice if I wanted to eat there but when I did, and tried a swahili option, I was given a delicious fish curry that was one of the best I tasted.
The staff were very friendly. I didn't find them pushy. Yes, I was offered boat trips but why not? This is a poor island, with visitor numbers suffering since recent problems with nearby Somali pirates. Why wouldn't the manager try to ensure I booked through him and not one of his nearby competitors? And it's worth mentioning that I was a single, female traveler. I didn't have any problems in Lamu or Shela - yes, I got attention from locals but it was friendly and inquisitive. And when one beach boy went too far, I told him to leave me alone and he did. But I never felt threatened or unsafe.
If you are traveling on a modest budget, so you can visit all the places you want to in Kenya, this is the perfect place - clean, friendly, convenient.
If you're after luxury, a resort with all kinds of facilities, a room you can hang out in all day, it's not for you. But then maybe you should be on a boring package holiday in Spain anyway!

Room Tip: The rooms at the top can be booked together to create a sort of family penthouse!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank louchoc
Yarraville, Australia
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I really enjoyed my time at stopover, location was fantastic and place looks amazing.

Recommend the penthouse, which has an amazing balcony ( view is brilliant) and great daybed for lounging. all rooms have a balcony and great views

Staff were always very helpful and I didn't experience them being pushy at all. They were very upfront about the wait times for food which was a long time. food was good however and found prices reasonable.

I left a good tip because this was a great place to stay and I recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed December 2011
#1 of 5 in Shela
Kizingo
Kizingo
#2 of 10 in Lamu Island

Been to Stopover Guest House? Share your experiences!