Stopover Guest House
US$860
US$420
  • Breakfast included
Jannat House(Lamu Island)(Great Value!)
US$40
Peponi Hotel(Lamu Island)
  • Pool
Baytil Ajaib(Lamu Island)
  • Room Service
Kijani Hotel(Lamu Island)
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Lamu Palace Hotel(Lamu Island)
Kizingo(Lamu Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Beachfront
All reviewsfresh fishlamu townguesthousesheladhowsislandculture
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 August 2009

Stayed here with a friend recently and I have never before been so tempted to write an online review (good or bad). This place was amazing! Now, bear in mind we had been backpacking and camping for a week at this point so most places would have felt luxurious, but we were so happy with where we were staying.

We were greeted at the airport and given a free transfer by dhow to the hotel. Once we arrived, we were given a free welcome drink (fresh juice - note they don't sell alcohol here, Ramadam or not) and introductions by three members of staff, including the manager.

Our room was on the top floor, very large, with two double beds, both with large mosquito nets. It's ensuite (only thing to note, if such things bother you, was that there's no door on the bathroom, only a curtain but you can't see anything) and although the showers are cool (not as cold as some we have encountered whilst here) I wouldn't think you need a hot one here. The balcony was also large, with two sun loungers, a table and a large day-bed, perfect for when it gets a bit too hot in the sun. Sun stays on the balcony all morning and until about 3.30pm. Next door also has an area on the balcony, but it's so large we didn't mind (perhaps patio is a better decription?)

Throughout our stay, the staff were some of the friendliest and most attentive I have encountered - we wanted for nothing. Breakfast and lunch was served on our balcony (due to Ramadam, they do not serve food in the restaurant until the evening, but to be honest our balcony was so lovely we prefered it this way) and all of the food was delicious - we ate here every evening as well. The manager gave us some great advice on how to stay safe and seem genuinely concerned that we look after ourselves (agree that the beach boys get tiring, but if you follow his advice, and refuse to get into conversation, they soon get bored). The other staff were constantly on hand to do laundry, cleaning, fetch drinks etc. Each evening whilst we ate dinner, they prepared our room for the evening, bringing down the mosquito nets, turning on the fans and closing the blinds.

As mentioned by a previous reviewer, the hotel's tour guide is very friendly and helpful, but probably will try to get what he can out of you - we had to remind him on a couple of occassions that we were out of funds (not your usual guests, I imagine). Could do with a pool, but you are right on the beach and apparently some of the larger hotels do allow external visitors to use thier pools for a fee, but to be honest we didn't feel the need.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 July 2009

We contacted a small eco-travel company on Lamu and they booked Stopover ahead for us. The owner of the company, Gabriel, met us at the air strip, showed us to our room, and gave us a town tour. Everything went very smoothly!

We could have stayed at a private house and paid a bit less, although we wouldn't have been right on the water. Might do that next time.

One thing we do agree with -- the negotiating on Lamu can kill your vacation. It drove us crazy in the shops and when we tried to hop a boat from Lamu Town to Shela. Fortunately for us it was an annoyance rather than a vacation-killer. We'd go back to Lamu, which is a mysterious and amazing place, and try to get to the outer islands next time. But we'd probably call the same company again so we didn't have to bother with the hassles described in some of these other posts. It's www.lamutravel.com -- I think they bill themselves and nature plus culture, something like that.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Stop over guesthouse is a really nice place to stay. the people who work there are great. we had some miscommunication with the owners about how many rooms we wanted to take and the price. they did not greet us upon our arrival. we waited for 2 hours before deciding to go sightseeing. the owner then called us demanding to know where we were and to return immediately. upon doing so he verbally accosted us and charged us 8000 ksh to stay one night in one room.

we left the next morning feeling very uneasy. he had promised to give us 1000 ksh in return but never did.

it was agreed that the cost covered the pick up from the airport. a few days later the boat man from the Beyonce, followed us at night and told us we owed him money. we explained what we were told. the next day, he jumped in to another boat we were taking and forced the captain of the boat to start driving towards the ocean. my friend jumped out and swam to shore and found the owner of the stop over guest house. he agreed to take the 1000 he never gave back to us and give it to the boat man. so not only did he screw us over, but in order to get back at us, he scammed a boatman.

these guys are cut throat business men. i have never been more terrified in kenya.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank globetrotter197234
Reviewed 3 February 2009

I stayed at Stopover for 4 nights in mid-September 2008 - during Ramadan. I had been in Nairobi for 6 weeks on business, and I needed a quiet get-away before leaving Kenya to come back to Canada. I contacted Lamu Properties in Nairobi. They eventually recommended Stopover in Shela to me, and I'm very glad they did. The price was good (=approx $60- 65 Cdn / night for Bed & Breadkfast). Like the Aussies who wrote an earlier review I stayed in a very large room on the top floor, which shares a large balcony with the other large room on that floor. I was on my own, so I didn't mind the company of my fellow guests. When Hamid first showed me to my room I nearly cried from the beauty of the place! The balcony afforded a great view of the Dhow harbour and the comings and goings on the water front of Shela. Hamid was a very gracious host indeed. My breakfasts were served in my room (it being Ramadan, Hamid asked that I not eat in the main floor restaurant during daylight hours.) Breakfasts were always good, and fresh. On a coupe of evenings I also ate dinner (after sun-down!) in the restaurant. Fresh fish bought from one of the many fishermen that Hamid knows. It was always delicious! And Hamid made very amiable company too during those meals!

Ramadan meant full prayers 5 times a day at the Mosque right next door. While atmospheric, the late evening prayer did keep me awake a couple of evenings. Swalli, a local guide, has an arrangement with Hamid to offer his services to guests. Swalli is a very pleasant, very knowledgeable local who's been guiding for 40 years. Great to use, but be a little careful. He will work the maximum out of guests (he booked 2 Dhows for 3 people going to the Takwa ruins, at exactly the same time on the same day - each to pay Ksh3000 for me alone, and 3500Ksh for the other two! I found out and then spoke to the other guests, and we were able to agree to all go on the same Dhow, and finally re-negotiated with Swalli for a group price on one Dhow!).

The beds (one in the room, and a day bed out on the balcony for mid-day snoozes!!) were comfortable and clean - pillows were small and not terribly comfortable. No hot water when I was there, but I didn't mind - the "cold" was only just so, which made the showers refreshing, but not chilling. (Hamid was in the process of getting a hot-water system put in, however, even though he said "Its so warm here, why would anyone want hot water? - but the tourists ask for it....")

No alcohol served at Stopover, but Peponi has a very nice lounge just about 3 minutes walk down the waterfront if you crave a "Sundowner" on an evening. The huge, and nearly deserted beach starts at Peponi, and goes on and on and on for many kilometers.

Over all, the location was great, the room and balcony were spectacular, the food was very good, and Hamid was a very good, and interesting host. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Shela, and would love to go back to Stopover with my wife sometime (if I ever get back to Africa).

Norman from Vancouver Canada

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 24 August 2008

this is a lovely place to stay, right on the waterfront in Shela (just out of Lamu town, must nicer than staying in town). Hamid the owner ensures great, attentive and friendly service. The rooms are spacious, and we had a great balcony on the top floor where we ate breakfast and watched the dhows sail by. the food is good value and tasty (mostly local fare). only cold water, but i think that all of the guest houses are the same (we stayed in one other). Really recommend it for a good value place to stay in Lamu, which is pretty expensive overall.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple