“My favourite place”

Ranked #3 of 34 Lamu Island B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“My favourite place”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I have never encountered service like that provided by Lamu House. The staff were perfect. I adored my room overlooking the harbour. When asked to tell people what my favourite hotel in the world is, I have to say that the words Lamu House are on the tip of my tongue. I cannot wait to go back again next time that I'm in Kenya - I shall make a special point to stay there.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank alandebarra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Nairobi
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Had dinner at the Lamu House on the waterfront. excellent food, nice environment, helpful staff. The only draw back was they didn't bring my coffee with my dessert, but that was minor. other than that, a perfect evening.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
BC
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I wanted to stay here because of the mix of staying in town while having the option to go to the beach. I was really impressed with so many things about this place - the decor, the cleanliness, the friendliness and helpfulness of the owners and staff, the security, the efficiency of the transportation, the food.... everything!
My friend and I just finished our stay there (April 20-23) in what is called "the rainy season." Yes, it did rain, but I think it amounted to only a few showers over the four days we were there. Otherwise, it was hot and sunny. The heat was a bit strong at times, but I couldn't complain as our visits to the beach club and dips in the hotel's pool cooled me down. Do not let the rainy season deter you from visiting Lamu! It was a pleasure to avoid the crowds of the high season, and an immense joy to have the beach all to ourselves!
Even if you do not plan to stay at Lamu House, I would still recommend taking a trip over to the beach club for their Sunday lunch (we were served a multi-course meal with calamari, prawns and fish). The Moonrise restaurant is also a beautifully cozy spot (thumbs up for the breakfasts, chicken korma, and amazing chocolate mousse!).
HIGHLY recommended!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I've stayed at Lamu House and eaten at their restaurant - it is a fabulous hotel in the old Swahili style. Even when I stayed there during the rainy season, and their restaurant was closed, I had a great experience. All the details are right, the staff are great, and they helped me find a very yummy place to eat since they weren't serving lunch or dinner. The plunge pool is heavenly after a long day out in the Lamu sun.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 4 March 2013

perfect location, super friendly hosts, beautifull rooms, stylish swimmingpool, delicious restaurant (Moonrise), etc

This hotel is the perfect place to chill out. Besides a comfortable night, this hotel offers also lovely diving, beach, snorkling and sailing trips

I will come back very soon

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DennisC25
antwerpen
Reviewed 25 February 2013

we stayed at lamu house the second time last january.Our first visit was end 2009 when frank and marianne owned the hotel their first year.We had a great time , otherwise we wouldn't return but now it was even more awesome.They were more relaxed , they had opened their wonderful beach club at nearby manda island where you can relax and lunch in luxury (a quiet beach).
The moonrise restaurant is as delicious as the hotel itself and has improved over the years. .Fresh fish of course and sea food of all kinds , but we also were surprised by the best steak I ever had on my plate.
We stayed in the superior suite and though all the rooms are wonderful , this was really heaven on earth.Three private terraces make it hard to choose : stay in the hotel or participate to the activities Frank can organise such as sailing on a dhow , snorkeling trips , waterskiing ,walking a 15 km stretch of wonderful beach ,stand up paddling , biking on the mainland and even kitesurfing I did(bring your own equipment)
To go short : this was for sure not our last visit to the Lamu house

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Callaway, Minnesota
Reviewed 22 December 2012

I didn't stay at the Lamu House Hotel, but ate many meals in their wonderful restaurant. The setting was great as you could overlook the harbor and the sky was open to watch the the moon and stars and it was most comfortable.

The wait staff was most attentive and friendly the food was very nice. The lobster especially was outstanding.

There should be a listing for the restaurant alone as their other location is the Lamu Club Beach venue and this listing is perhaps more for the hotel.

The owners were often on site and anxious always to assure their guests had an outstanding experience.

I was there for a Friday night set menu event with a local Swahili music group and it was such fun. The menu was very eclectic and interesting and the whole meal and experience was of great value.

If visiting Lamu, make sure you try the Lamu House restaurant. You will be most happy that you did.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
#6 of 34 in Lamu Island
Jua House
Jua House
#1 of 6 in Shela

Been to Lamu House Hotel? Share your experiences!