“A special experience”
Review of Lamu House Hotel

Lamu House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 34 Lamu Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Our whole experience staying at Lamu House was incredibly special. From the welcoming staff, the beautiful room, the amazing food and the peaceful surroundings - we couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. It was a perfect long weekend gettaway for my partner and I and the only problem we encountered was not wanting to leave!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Lamu has always been on my wishlist ever since I've relocated to Kenya. My only disappointment is not having visited this beautiful island sooner because then I would definitely have made a return trip. Sadly, leaving Kenya in a few weeks so not a possibility in the near future.

This was one of my most enchanting vacations ever. Lamu House is top notch in terms of accommodation, food and service. The owner Frank is very hands on and prides himself on the satisfaction of his guests.

The hotel has the best of both worlds, the charm of the town as well as daily transfers to their beach club. We were there during the quieter season so literally had miles of beach to ourselves.

For those who have safety concerns, it really does seem unfounded. I had no reason to ever feel at risk and crime is virtually non-existent.

I visited Shela and Manda but would still opt to make Lamu House my first choice, I much preferred the atmosphere of Lamu town. There's nothing like waking up to the sun rising with the ocean in front of you, the sound of water against the boats and dhows and donkeys braying in the background.

This is a once in a lifetime experience for those who prefer vacations of a different kind. I'm almost afraid to share my experiences with everyone because I would hate for it to become too commercialised but if you have the opportunity to visit, please do not hesitate.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2014

November 2013 we stayed at Lamu House Hotel for the second time. For a whole month !! These 4 weeks were again unforgettalbe : beautiful,rooms (we stayed in 3 rooms : all of them unique, very clean, airy and stylish), relaxing atmosphere (Frank and Marianne make you feel so at home) and every day and every meal the best fresh food, prepared with passion.
The area around the swimming-pool was our home for 4 weeks : swimming, reading, relaxing, chatting, having a great cappuccino, enjoying a good bottle of rosé and some nice music, meeting new people,....
The view from the front rooms is very nice : looking at the water and the dows, enjoying the daily life on Lamu-quay, staring at the moon in the evening.
Although the hotel is in town, everything is peaceful : after 10pm only the noise of the water, a lost donkey or a lonely boat passing by.
We spent our days relaxing, sailing (organised by Frank on his own dhow), visiting town or some of the villages on the islands, hanging out on the beautiful beaches (the lunches at the Beach Club are yummie),.....
Never, ever did we feel unsafe in Lamu Town or anywhere in or around the Lamu Archipelago.
Please don't let the media make you hesitate... just go there and you will not regret it :-)
We are more suspicious when we walk through Antwerp at night :-)
On the last day, we were very sad and cried on our way to the airport..... no need to explane more !
Our tickets for November 2014 are already booked.
Being world-travellers : we found our paradise and Lamu House Hotel with Frank and Marianne is a big part of it !

Room Tip: All rooms are TOP !!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EdithDeNef
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Lamu is heaven off the beaten track...

We could not have imagined a better place to spend the holiday season with our entire family. Lamu House, the staff and owners make you feel at home more than anything. It is a place filled with wide smiles, kindness, warmth and conviviality. Not to forget the delicious food and the relaxing days at the Lamu House Beach club (a 10 min boat ride from the hotel).

As for the island itself, don't let any negative news hold you from going. We felt extremely safe, welcome and comfortable when strolling around Lamu old town and Shela. Discover the island and get to know the lovely people and atmosphere of Lamu Island.

Karibu Lamu House. See you soon.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We stayed at Lamu house for 10 days in October. It was the low season and Lamu was quiet and peaceful, a wonderful time to visit! Frank, the owner, was incredibly friendly and accommodating. Between ferrying my husband and I to his beach club any day we felt like it, to reserving a private dow trip for us, he will ensure that your time in Lamu is memorable! Amazing food and wait staff; live music on Friday nights makes for a great atmosphere as well. Beautiful, clean, spacious rooms. All in all, a wonderful must stay place for those visiting Lamu!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2013

the owners of this guesthouse are also the managers, which gives you a perfect treatment by frank and marianne ! we felt very welcome and were treated like family.
the guesthouse is located at the waterside at the small quay at the seafront, and is decorated in a warm and beautiful Swahili style. the food is very nice and there is a swimming pool.
i travelled with a school friend beginning november. we were picked up by a boat at the Island where the airport is, and this already gave us a holiday feeling. the lamu house has their own boat which brings you to the beach or where ever you want. i can recommend the snorkling trip, the sailing, the mangroves, and the waterski ! we stayed a week and very much enjoyed our stay in Paradise. lamu house is a perfect hotel when you want to visit lamu Island. you get european service and food in a Swahili surrounding and setting !

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 November 2013

After a week back at home I still miss Lamu House and ofcourse the owners Frank and Marianne with their two dogs May and June!
When we landed at the airport I immediatly tought...this is paradise!!!
Frank picked us up at the airport and brought us with the boat to the hotel where Marianne was waithing with a little fresh towel to clean us up a little bit and a lovely cocktail.
When we made the tour of the hotel I still couldn't believe we were there, everything was so beautiful!!! The rooms, the restaurant, the pool...all the little details, everything I dreamed of :-)
And then the food...It was amazing!!! Always fresh fish, fruit, vegetables,...if you taste it you want nothing else anymore!
We also went a few times to the beachbar, You will love that! Also a little paradise! white sand, blue sea, lunch under the trees and lots of cocktails :-)
We also made a trip (it was a present from my sweet boyfriend for me :-) ) with the boat to see the sun go under and have a lovely bbq under a sky full of stars. It was so nice!

Well I can keep on going but then all you guys will know everything already, so I just want to say one thing...YOU HAVE TO GO TO LAMU HOUSE!!!
We are going back in April, that's for sure :-)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LynnHamaide
STONNE, Owner at Lamu House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lamu Island
#4 of 10 in Lamu Island
Kizingo
Kizingo
#3 of 10 in Lamu Island

Been to Lamu House Hotel? Share your experiences!