“An Oasis of Tranquility”

and 1 more site!
Banana House & Wellness Centre
Ranked #2 of 34 Lamu Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We booked the Banana Houses's penthouse suite which is unbeatable in terms of value for money. Stylish and private, and it includes a private dining area as well as to exclusive rooftop terraces with views across the channel. The service at Banana is personal and professional, and the yoga studio, idyllically situated in the tropical gardens of the property. I would recommend Banana for those looking for more than just a beach break.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 January 2014

What a magical oasis - in the little town of a boat ride or hearty walk from Lamu. If you are looking for a magical, boutique hotel experience, Banana house is for you. The rooms are lovely, each comes with a kikoi or kenyan wrap to wear at the beach. The staff are so helpful and seem to emerge around the corner just as you are ready for your morning coffee and yogurt. Monika, the proprietress obviously has a love for Lamu. I loved her gentle yoga class in the morning. When Patty, the manager, saw we'd been eaten alive by mosquitoes while out to dinner, she delivered a spray to our room to keep them at bay. i will be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I enjoyed every moment of my stay at Banana House, could not have asked for better hosts, nicer staff, more delicious food or comfortable accommodation. I felt right at home, and that is especially nice when you are travelling alone. I will definitely visit again and I can recommend you to do the same!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 December 2013

End of November I stayed together with my wife for one week in this beautiful place. The whole guesthouse is so beautiful, it is amazing. We had the Banana Penthouse suite and I don't think I ever had a room so big and so nicely equipped and what a great view !

Monika and Banana are excellent hosts and know extremely well how to treat their guests and how to make them feel at home. We felt very much at home and will surely come back again.

Our room had a floorspace of approx. 200 sq meter with a swing bed, a 4 poster daybed, several sitting areas (sun / shade / stars etc.), a nice dinner table where we had our meals, and a room inside the room serving as the bedroom. The bathroom is simple but has a good shower, clean toilet and amazingly you can drink water from the tap. It is difficult to describe all since the room has so many lovely small and larger items, such a great eye for detail, but the Banana House website shows some good pictures.

The House itself is located in the beautiful and relaxing town Shela. A town where you are taken back 50 years ago, but with all the things you need. Do not expect western luxury but do expect extremely friendly people, beautiful beaches, fresh fish and lots of lovely donkeys since there are no cars on the island !

You can have all your meals at the house, they have an excellent cook that prepares whatever you feel like. Or be lucky like we were and catch your own meal and have it prepared by the cook.

We also took a trip with a nice African style sailing boat with crew and went snorkeling while the crew prepared a nice seafood lunch on the boat. And we took a small boat across to Manda island and had lunch at one of the restaurants there. Also we went to Lamu town by boat for some shopping and a nice lunch at the Lamu House.

Saadi will help you out with all your bookings, thanks Saadi for your help !

Or just relax with a nice massage from Monica (with a c). Combine this with daily yoga practice and one can easily say this is true wellness for the mind. While we were there we took the Art of Living course which we found a great combination for our trip.

And I almost forgot to mention the sunset drinks at Peponi Hotel, legendary and just around the corner.

Thanks Monika and Banana for a wonderful time !

Room Tip: Take one of the rooms on the top floor for the nice views and the wind that will cool you down a bit...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MvdK01
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My stay in november 2013 in Bananahouse was the greatest gift I have ever given my self.
Lamu is a paradise. The walks on the beach, the juicy mango's and the friendly people, I felt really safe.
And Bananahouse? A nice hidden place with the best food of the island, friendly staff, close to the beach, the yoga everyday, the massages, the space and the nice flowers on my bed everyday, and of course Monica and Banana, my friends, they made my visit complete. Thanks you all! I will never forget you, Bananahouse and Lamu,
Ymke

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This was the 2nd time I stayed in the Banana House. Previous time was 4 years ago and by leaving then I already said, I will return here for sure!! And I did. Again I want to come back there again!!
The place is so very quiet. The rooms are beautiful styles in real Lamu style. Very spacious, bit terras and a lot of lazy beds outside on the terrace to relax.
In the garden there is a nice small swimmingpool to cool down and lay down and listen to the birds and the donkeys passing by!
On the rooftop there is a nice Welness with fantastic massage! I did 2x the aromatic massage which was very good!!
And what needs a special compliment is the food. Each morning fresh mango, papaya, banana and fresh fruitjuice. A special menu makes the breakfast complete.
The lunch and diners were very nice. Nice curry's with fish and lentil dishes. Good variation and all very fresh and tasty!! Compliment for the Cook!!
for who wants, can follow yogaclasses in the morning or afternoon! Good start of the day!!
Only few minutes walking of Peponi Hotel where all people come together before sunset to have a drink.
The banana House arranges nice day trips to other islands and for snorkling. All very flexible when, where and how you want to go.
The owners Monika and Banana are very special loving people. Also thanks to them our stay was very special!! Thanks!!

Room Tip: If you travel together try to get the Bananahouse penthouse. If with 4 people the Wellness penthouse...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Banana House is simply a guarantee for a great stay. Not because it is not directly located at the beach (you need to walk couple of minutes). And not only because it doesn't exaggerate the 'Lamu style' and atmosphere but just shows a warm, cosy atmosphere, fitting very well in the context of Lamu. It is a perfect choice. And if you are a yoga adept: you can do it in the morning and/or afternoon. It suits and later it will probably improve the quality if your stay. Needless to add but very clear; lovely, dedicated staff!

Room Tip: The suites are very good value for money. But actually most of the rooms are nicely situated annex c...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 10 in Lamu Island
Lamu House Hotel
Lamu House Hotel
#3 of 34 in Lamu Island

Been to Banana House & Wellness Centre? Share your experiences!