“Excellent accomodation, staff, food and location”
Review of Mara West Camp

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Masai Mara National Reserve
Mara West Camp
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Staying at the Mara West really gives you a sense of African adventure while living in tents knowing that wild animals are nearby.

We saw a giraffe staring at our tent one morning and lions have been spotted by the staff frequently.

The scenery is breathtaking and the luxury tents are cosy, clean and spacious.

The electricity goes out at 10pm which means you have to be in bed early.

However this is probably a good thing as we got up at 5:30am for a morning safari. The west gate to the Masai Mara reserve is only 15 minutes away and early morning or evening safaris give you a better chance of spotting game like Leopards and Cheetahs.

The owner and the staff really took pride in accomodating our wishes and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank KalpeshK

Reviewed 9 August 2011

An African Safari has been on my bucket list. This trip far exceeded my expectations and Mara West helped make it that way. I stayed in a mid-range and was surprised that it was still a tent--though with a private bath and shower. However after hearing the zebras munching grass in the night outside my tent and the lions roaring down in the valley I was glad it was a tent. Being on the top edge of the great rift (at 6,000') with the game reserve a 1,000 feet below it was shirt sleeve weather in the day time, but cool at night and the comforter provided was welcomed by the middle of the night. The only bad part of the trip was the rough roads getting to the park, but it was like a safari every time as we would see herds of zebra's, giraffes, and impalas, etc. and we just bounced with the bumps as we enjoyed the scenery. The drivers were excellent and the safaries in the game preserve were excellent. The first day we saw all 5 of "the big 5" game animals plus a lot more! I am still reveling in the the joy of this trip and hope to come back again and will definitely stay at Mara West.

Room Tip: The best views are at the high-end rooms, but there is a good view from the mid-range and they are p...
2  Thank SafariFan6
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Mara West was such an amazing experience. You'll enjoy the world-class view of the Maasai Mara Reserve where you can relax and let go of the stress of the hectic world...it's no where to be found at Mara West. The high-end accomodations are supurb...the staff will go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need to make your stay very enjoyable. The food served by the staff is delicious! You will be lulled to sleep by the roar of the lions down in the park below and wake up to an amazing sunrise over the vast reserve. I highly recommend Mara West - I know "I'll" be back!!

2  Thank beautifulplace56
Reviewed 20 July 2011

I would highly recommend this place to travellers looking for a quality place to stay that is just outside the Masai Mara Reserve. We stayed in the high-end accommodations and they were just beautiful and so roomy. We had a huge deck with an absolutely spectacular view of the valley below us. The food was delicious - I tasted the best Pumpkin Ginger soup ever. The service was excellent and the staff were friendly and thoroughly accommodating. The place was exceptionally maintained and guests were made to feel very comfortable. I absolutely loved the place and enjoyed my stay very much there. Anyone who is looking for a place to stay close to the reserve would really love this place. The owner and the staff will especially look after you and do all they can to make your stay comfortable and happy.
If I ever go back to Kenya - this is the place I want to stay.

Room Tip: the owner &staff will do what they can to make you comfortable at all price ranges
Reviewed 20 July 2011

I have been to the Africa continent the past 3 years, and this is hands down, by far, the VERY best! If you are wanting to see animals, stay at Mara West. If you are wanting great food and accommodations, stay at Mara West. If you are wanting to experience Africa, stay at Mara West.
Andy, Francis and Grace are genuinely kind, loving people. They want you to have the best experience and go out of their way to ensure your comfort and happiness; however, truth be told, Mara West is already set up for comfort and happiness, so I think their job is easily accomplished.
To wake up in the morning to Zebra and Giraffe right outside your room and the smell of fresh Kenya coffee is paradise. I'm planning my return trip next Spring.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the High-End. It's totally worth it!
1  Thank MrsARTC
Reviewed 20 July 2011

I stayed in the economy lodging at Mara West. The accommodations exceeded my expectations. The service was top notch, the food tasted delicious, and the views were spectacular! I felt like I was on a safari everyday--I got to see zebras, giraffe's, and elephant's even when I wasn't meaning to. Some animals would even roam through the camp at night! There are guard's at night who watch over the camp which made me feel very safe. One of the guard's told me that if you don't bother the animals, they won't bother you. When asked, the guard did say that he once wrestled a leopard when it came by the camp! He told me not to worry because he won! Of course he didn't kill the leopard but he did scare it away!
All in all, I had a spectacular time and would highly recommend Mara West!

1  Thank happievoweless
Reviewed 19 July 2011

This hotel is amazing! It hosts mission groups in it's lower end tent huts and has the most amazing high end rooms overlooking the Mara. The zebras, giraffes and gazelle feel safe there as did we even though we could hear lions roaring in the night! The staff is 100% there for the visitors and the food was amazing! One night they brought out an individual pizza oven and made everybody therir own pizza. My daughter and I loved it! They also have the most incredible safari that I think you could be on, since they have been around the area so long. They know all the ins and outs and where to find the animals. One can fly there from Nairobi if yyou don't want to drive the slow dusty roads. I cannot say enough good abut this place!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family