“Great times!”
Review of Mara West Camp

Cherry Valley, California
“Great times!”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Mara West was awesome and I definitely plan on going back. I can't speak highly enough of the people there, my luggage was lost by the airline company and the people at Mara West went out of there way to handle the issue for me. Once my luggage was found they even had it flown out to me at the camp. While I was without my luggage they made sure I had what I needed to be comfortable. The scenery there is great and the wildlife is abundant. The staff is super friendly and willing to show you around and teach you about their culture. If your looking for a good adventure this is the place to start. I highly recommend Mara West, I'm already planning my next visit.
- side note's -
- it is a bit of a drive from the airport, but that's to be expected. Also the camp is out a good distance in the bush so don't expect some luxury hotel with a/c and all the creature comforts. That being said the camp is beautiful and for where they are located very comfy. (I was pleasantly surprised) I stayed in the low end tents which are still spacious and comfy while being very clean and well maintained.

Room Tip: the medium and high end rooms have amazing views! as well as more creature comforts :)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Stella M, Marketing Manager at Mara West Camp, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Hello Ken,

Hello,

Thank you very much for your review as it will help other travellers as well as enable us to continue improving our services where need be.

We are happy to know that your stay at Mara West Camp was a pleasant one despite the mishap at the airport. It was and will always be our pleasure to make you and all our clients comfortable at our Camp. We are glad to know that you were happy with everything at the camp.

We look forward to host you again when you visit us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Czech first
Loma Linda, California
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My stay at Mara West was like being home away from home. The staff were very friendly, pleasant and welcoming. Even the management made time to talk to the guests during mealtime and various times during the stay. I really liked that. The lodging accommodations were comfortable, tidy and clean. And I really enjoyed the views of the Mara from different points on the property. And if you are nature lover like me, you will definitely enjoy seeing the giraffes, zebras and other animals nearby the property. The meal choices were great and were able to cater to vegetarian diet. The highlight was my last day there, which was the day before my birthday. One of the group members, told the staff it would be my birthday the following day. Within an hour or so, they managed to make a cake, and gather staff to sing a song in swahili and dance. It was celebrated just like if I were at home. It truly felt like a home away from home. This was an enjoyable experience stay at Mara West!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Hello,

Thank you very much for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback as it enables us to continue providing the best service to our guests. We are overjoyed to hear that you had a fantastic time at Mara West Camp. We are especially glad to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your birthday despite being so far away from your home.

We hope to host you again during your next trip in Kenya. Again, happy birthday and may you enjoy the year ahead.
Redlands, California
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Having spent 10 days here at Mara West, I can confidently say that it is an EXCELLENT resort to stay at. The staff is all so friendly, and they are always willing to help you with anything you need. The view is outstanding! I highly recommend the mid-range tent, it was the perfect accommodation.
Safari was equally as fantastic. The tour guide John made sure we saw the best. Food was excellent and always had plenty of vegetarian options.

Overall, one of the most amazing places I have every stayed. If you are looking for a beautiful place to stay, look no farther.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ally D
Stella M, Marketing Manager at Mara West Camp, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Hello Ally D,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are very excited to hear that you had an excellent stay at Mara West. We also enjoyed having you at our camp and we are very glad to hear that our staff made your stay much more comfortable. It is our endeavour to make sure that all our guests have a fabulous holiday.

Thank you very much for choosing Mara West Camp, we look forward to your next visit.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I just returned from a weekend stay at Mara West with my Mother and infant son. It seemed quite expensive but we were looking for a nice weekend away in the Mara and thought that it would be one of those experiences we would remember forever so we went for it. Though it bills itself as "luxury" accommodation it is far from it, the secluded chalets had lovely view, no doubt about it, but for the exorbitant price we were paying they fell very short. We were picked up at the airstrip by a very nice driver in a big open sided safari vehicle and we were pleased with that as we paid extra to have a private vehicle each day. The following day we got up early for our game drive and were outside at the scheduled time to meet our driver who was standing next to a mud covered old landcruiser with no seatbelts. I spent the next 30 minutes with them at the garage watching them tie my sons car seat in with a strap as the vehicle had no belts, I then had to ask for them to clean off the windows so we could see out to take pictures, which is the whole point of a game drive!! so after delaying our departure by an hour we took off. About an hour later our vehicle broke down, our driver tried valiantly to restart it but it kept breaking down and would go 50 feet and then stop. This went on for 3 hours until finally it gave up and we had to wait for a rescue vehicle in the heat, with my 11 month old son. We had planned a long trek that day and because of this we could not as we had lost so much time. We were disappointed to say the very least and we only offered a very half-hearted, off hand apology of sorts for this huge inconvenience. To make matters worse on out drive back to the camp after our drive had been cut short we passed the American owner of the camp on the road. He had been informed about the car trouble and had a quick chat with our driver while completely ignoring us, his guests sat in the car! He didn't even look at us, or say hello, or apologize for the ruined day. It was bizarre and extremely rude to be completely ignored like that. When we got back to camp the manager asked how our day was, as if nothing had happened. The following day we chose not to do a game drive because we didn't want to risk breaking down again. I have emailed the camp to complain and ask for come compensation for our ruined day as we paid extra for the vehicle that broke down, but as of yet no one has responded. The only good thing I have to say it that drivers, waiters, kitchen, guards and camp staff were all very nice and made us feel welcome, but for the money we paid the overall experience was a let down and I would never, ever recommend this place to anyone in the future. The owner is extremely rude, they do business poorly and their vehicles cannot be trusted. It is also very kid unfriendly and there is no high chair on the premise. There are many other options in the Mara. Do not waste your money on Mara West.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, but if you do, get a chalet with the view. The view was the only really great t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Grace G, Public Relations Manager at Mara West Camp, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Meg,

Kindly receive our sincere apologies for your unpleasant stay at Mara West Camp. We appreciate the feedback you have provided in order to help us continue improving our service. It is our endeavour to always provide the best Safari experience to all our guests.

We greatly apologise for the vehicle problems you experienced. The mishap was caused by contaminated fuel that we bought locally. Unfortunately we did not know that the fuel was bad until the car stalled. It is to my best knowledge that this was fully explained to you, we however still apologise for this unseen mishap.

In line to our commitment to ensuring that our guests have the best experience of their life in Masai Mara, we rectified the situation as quickly as we possibly could and another vehicle was brought to the rescue, by the Camp owner himself, and it ran perfectly for the rest of the day.

We honestly tried to make up to you for the hours you lost when the vehicle stalled in the park by offering to take you for another game drive free the next day but you refused even after the camp manager reassuring you endlessly that the vehicle had been fixed. You also declined to go for the guided Safari Walk that we had arranged for you which is one of the activities that our guests really enjoy. Our cars are always in good condition and this was an issue that has never occurred before and was truly beyond our control and we tried our best to rectify the situation but it's only possible to make up to you if you accept our efforts.

We are glad that despite the downside of your game drive, you found the view from your tent spectacular and our staff friendly and professional.

Again it is always our pleasure to host visitors at Mara West Camp and our staff is always doing its bests to ensure everyone has a pleasant stay and enjoy to the fullest a much needed vacation. Hopefully, you will come back again and give us the opportunity to offer a better service.
El Dorado Hills, California
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Incredible individual service. The entire staff knew our names after arriving. We were greated each time we came to the lodge by name. They constantly asked how things were and what the could do to help. The grounds are amazing with Giraffe, Zebra's and Baboons milling about. This was our first stop in Africa. What a great way to start a trip.

Our favorite part was a walking safari with John, a Masai male, who gave us incredible insight into the plant and animal life in the camp. His walk was totally eye opening. As a teacher, I love to learn, and John was an outstanding teacher. I really felt a close connection to their way of life and how they respect nature in such a positive way.

All of the staff took particular care. The offer electricity for only a few hours each day, but when they found out that I needed to charge multiple items and that I only had one converter, they extended the time for the generator by several hours. There were only about 6 visitors in the camp at the time. That was very accommodating.

We will definitely choose this place again when we go back and visit the Masai Mara in Kenya.

Room Tip: It was definitely having the upgraded room. I heard the other rooms were still very nice as well.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Grace G, Manager at Mara West Camp, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Hello,

Thank you very much for your feedback, we appreciate it. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed every bit of your Safari. It is our pleasure to make each and every guest feel at home while at Mara West Camp.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your walk and that you were able to learn quite a lot about the Mara and its flora and fauna.

Thanks again for choosing Mara West Camp. We look forward to having you, your family and friends stay with us the next time you are in the Masai Mara.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Mara West. The service could not have been any better and the food was delicious. And there is nothing like having to walk past zebras on your way to your tent to make you really feel the wonder of Africa. When we unzipped our tent in the morning we had zebras and giraffes right out front. The view was also amazing.

I was a little freaked out my the noises in the night but wouldn't take back a second.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank bailesh
Grace G, Marketing at Mara West Camp, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Hello,

We appreciate the time you have taken to share about your stay at Mara West Camp and for the positive feedback.

It is heart warming to hear that you found the service, the food and the Mara West ambience great! We are glad that there is nothing you would change about your trip down to camp.

We look forward to having you and your family stay with us the next time you are in the Masai Mara.

Regards,
Sandnes, Norway
Reviewed 8 June 2014

When you finally get to this camp, it's Worth all the hours on the bumpy road! This must be the Perfect stay when visiting Masai Mara. The "tent-cabins" is a exciting and a special way to experience the Wild nightlife in Africa. We could hear Wild animals around Our cabin all night. :)
Waking up With Our own private view over the park, waching the sunset, was just amazing! If I'm not wrong, we had cabin number five, and this is highly recomended for the best view and private feeling. Staff was very friendly and helpfull. The Food was also amazing! Overall, this stay is one we will never forget, ever! Thank you all on Mara West for making this stay so great!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Grace G, Marketing at Mara West Camp, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Hello,

Thank you for sparing time to write a review about your stay at Mara West Camp. We place high priority on making sure that our guests have an amazing experience at the camp. That said, we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We apologize for the bumpy ride to camp, the rains tend to damage roads around this time, but we are glad that the rough roads did not hinder having a worthy experience.

Our 'tent-cabins' have the best views of the Masai Mara Game Reserve. We are glad that you enjoyed watching the spectacular sunset and the privacy that your chalet provided, as well as the delicious food and our hospitable staff.

We are looking forward to giving you another unforgettable experience the next time you visit the Masai Mara!

Regards,