“Wonderful yet real”
Review of Mara West Camp

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Masai Mara National Reserve
Mara West Camp
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Sometimes luxury can feel like living in a bubble. Mara West is an exception, striking a perfect balance between creature comforts and hints at the constraints of the primitive lifestyle led by many living in the area. The beds are comfortable and fitted with nice linens, and the bedside light only works for a few hours in the morning and evening when the generator runs. The bathrooms were decorated with beautiful tile and featured showers with lots of hot water that is only available in mornings and evenings when the attendant lights a wood fire under the boiler outside the tent. There are great views of the wildlife below on the plain, and sometimes those wild animals pass right outside the tent since there is no electric fence around the camp to keep them out. I loved it.

We had a chance to chat with the owners and enjoyed learning of the beginnings of the camp as a base for people visiting for service trips to build, for example, local school buildings. They continue to be very active in the local community.

Everything others have said is also true: friendly service, delicious food, and terrific location on top of the escarpment with great views, yet close to the park entrance.

Room Tip: We stayed in a tent. No spectacular view outside the window, but only a short walk to a nice shaded...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Stella M, Marketing Manager at Mara West Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2014

Hello,

Thank you very much for your review. It is very good to hear that you were able to take note of the culture that surrounds our camp. It is true that the camp emerged from the great desire of the owners to help improve the lives of the communities around and it is our continued effort to keep the good work going.

Our goal is to offer our guests an elegant, private stay during their Safari and we therefore ensure our accommodation looks the part. It is always good when our guests appreciate our camp.

Again thank you for your feedback and we do hope you will pay us a visit again.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We visited the Maasai Mara in August 2014, and were welcomed to Mara West with warm towels for our hands, very friendly staff, fantastic food and a great cabin. We stayed at the honeymoon suite and woke up to an amazing view of the Maasai Mara plains. Mara West is located within Maasai Mara, and we had to be escorted to our rooms by Maasai guards each night. We thoroughly enjoyed our time here bad we will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are overjoyed to hear that you had a fantastic stay and we look forward to having you back next time you are in the Mara.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I spent 3 nights at Mara West. All the staff were friendly and helpful. The cook addressed all my special dietary needs in a respectful and enthusiastic manner. The location is perfect. My room was clean and spacious. I loved the combination tent/room experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Stella M, Marketing Manager at Mara West Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Hello,

Thank you very much for your review, we appreciate it. We are glad that you had a good time at our camp. We truly look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I took family here when they came to visit and we had an incredible time. The location of the camp is breathtaking. It is situated on top of a ridge that overlooks the Mara and it's just stunning to see the sun rise over the Mara from the camp. The service was also extremely good and we were welcomed by all the staff, who were all very well trained and very polite.

We also got lucky and were upgraded to one of the Chalets and we were blown away. We had an outdoor shower and a view that overlooked the Mara so we could look out and see giraffes and zebras grazing each morning.

The Mara driver we had, his name was John, was the best Mara driver I've had. He was very knowledgeable and extremely patient and willing to adjust the program to what we wanted. I can't recommend him highly enough.

Lastly, the food is incredible. The soups they make are out of this world - I had the best tomato soup I've ever had - and the mains each night were delicious. We even did a bush dinner one night and it was an unforgettable experience.

It's important to note though that the camp is outside of the park so it was a hassle once or twice to go through the gate and deal with the rangers. This wasn't an issue on two of the days, but the first day we spent a lot of time trying to sort out payment when we should have been enjoying the game drive.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Stella M, Marketing Manager at Mara West Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Hello,

Thank you very much for taking time to write us a review, we appreciate it. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at Mara West Camp. We are glad that you enjoyed the views, the game drive and the food. We apologize for the hassle at the park we are working on ensuring that our guest don't have to waste so much time waiting to be allowed to get into the park.

Again, we appreciate your feedback and we look forward to your next visit at Mara West Camp.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed at Mara West for three nights during our safari in Maasai Mara. Stayed in one of the tented chalets and it was a first class experience. We found the rooms to be exceptionally clean and very well appointed with anything you'd need. The restaurant food was great and the service was excellent as everyone knew us by name and we really felt welcome and our business was appreciated. Wish we had more nights there on our itinerary.

Only criticism was that the meals in the restaurant were very western and there wasn't much local flavour. When we mentioned it to the chef, he actually made us authentic Kenyan dishes the next night. How nice!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Stella M, Marketing Manager at Mara West Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Hello,

Thank you very much for your positive review. We will definitely consider your suggestion regarding introducing authentic Kenyan traditional dishes on our menu.

We are happy to hear about your lovely stay at Mara West Camp, we also wish you'd have stayed longer. Again thank you for your review. We look forward to host you again when you return to the Mara.​

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Mara West was awesome and I definitely plan on going back. I can't speak highly enough of the people there, my luggage was lost by the airline company and the people at Mara West went out of there way to handle the issue for me. Once my luggage was found they even had it flown out to me at the camp. While I was without my luggage they made sure I had what I needed to be comfortable. The scenery there is great and the wildlife is abundant. The staff is super friendly and willing to show you around and teach you about their culture. If your looking for a good adventure this is the place to start. I highly recommend Mara West, I'm already planning my next visit.
- side note's -
- it is a bit of a drive from the airport, but that's to be expected. Also the camp is out a good distance in the bush so don't expect some luxury hotel with a/c and all the creature comforts. That being said the camp is beautiful and for where they are located very comfy. (I was pleasantly surprised) I stayed in the low end tents which are still spacious and comfy while being very clean and well maintained.

Room Tip: the medium and high end rooms have amazing views! as well as more creature comforts :)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Hello Ken,

Hello,

Thank you very much for your review as it will help other travellers as well as enable us to continue improving our services where need be.

We are happy to know that your stay at Mara West Camp was a pleasant one despite the mishap at the airport. It was and will always be our pleasure to make you and all our clients comfortable at our Camp. We are glad to know that you were happy with everything at the camp.

We look forward to host you again when you visit us again.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

My stay at Mara West was like being home away from home. The staff were very friendly, pleasant and welcoming. Even the management made time to talk to the guests during mealtime and various times during the stay. I really liked that. The lodging accommodations were comfortable, tidy and clean. And I really enjoyed the views of the Mara from different points on the property. And if you are nature lover like me, you will definitely enjoy seeing the giraffes, zebras and other animals nearby the property. The meal choices were great and were able to cater to vegetarian diet. The highlight was my last day there, which was the day before my birthday. One of the group members, told the staff it would be my birthday the following day. Within an hour or so, they managed to make a cake, and gather staff to sing a song in swahili and dance. It was celebrated just like if I were at home. It truly felt like a home away from home. This was an enjoyable experience stay at Mara West!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Hello,

Thank you very much for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback as it enables us to continue providing the best service to our guests. We are overjoyed to hear that you had a fantastic time at Mara West Camp. We are especially glad to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your birthday despite being so far away from your home.

We hope to host you again during your next trip in Kenya. Again, happy birthday and may you enjoy the year ahead.