We stayed at this camp site in luxury tents. My wife is NOT the camping type, and she is quite finicky about tenting, so while living in Canada where camping in the Mountains in the Summer is everything, we have never tented in the last 35 years until this past week when we stayed for 3 nights at the Mara leisure camp site. 10 of us went on Safari and it was really good. Surprisingly, we all took to it! the peace and quite, the security, the luxury beds inside the tents with your own really nice wash rooms with stand up shower with hot water on demand, toilet, tub!! ALL GOOD!! The food was awesome too, 3 meals a day, full spread, 24/7 wi-fi in the lobby, which is a beautiful walk from the individual tents with full local very polite security guys with flashlights all over the place. Our 24 year old daughter and her brother shared a tent in the middle of nowhere and her bro would be in bed early but you know girls!! wi-fi kept her in the lobby till late at night and she was always escorted or she felt completely safe walking back to her tent at night alone. One issue is that they shut the power off! yes, power off from 9 am to 12 noon and then again from 3 pm to 6 pm. They use Solar panels. Now us Westerners who are so spoilt rotten with our 1st world problems like having power on demand 24/7, phone and fridge in the room! remember people, you are TENTING!!! in the great Rift Valley! Yes it's a small inconvenience, but the experience you gain from this far out weighs this small hiccup. We quickly got used to it, and charged our phones, Camera's and all that stuff at the right times. The Maasai culture, the plains, THE ANIMALS!! you get to see are simply awesome! We saw every animal except the Rhino, who is not native to the Rift valley, but we did get to see it - see my next review. Many thanks to Mark at Odyssey Safaris who totally convinced me to go at this time. We are seasoned travellers, but this is the 1st time we have purchased a vacation package over the phone from someone we have not seen in person, but I totally recommend Odyssey Safari's to everyone!! They are honest, they walk the talk and deliver! with fantastic 4 WD Jeeps, but please expect some minor vehicle issues. When you see the condition of the roads and the terrain, you'll be shocked that there are such few breakdown's, it's not the fault of the Hotels or the Travel group. It's the Kenyan Govt who should be putting more money towards building theses roads. Our 2 drivers/guides, Simon and Erastus were the best, so accommodating, just going totally out of there way to give us a good time. Please TIP these guys well! We in the western world are so well off compared to these poor people. We are used to going out for Supper, paying a 150-200 $$ bill and then tipping the server 15% on top of that! JUST FOR ONE MEAL!! ( sorry for screaming) but use that as a guide when you tip at the end of the trip. They go through such hardship. We left so much for them, clothes, sandals, shoes, shampoos, soaps fro all 10 of us. Overall - 100% to
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mara Leisure, a Luxury Tented Camp nestled in the Maasai Mara Game Reserve. The camp is situated on the northern border of the game reserve and this makes all areas of the park accessible for game viewing. Our accommodation facilities include 1 exclusive honeymoon tent, 8 spacious jumbo tents, 17 standard “nyati” tents and 3 family “jamii” cottages. With these, all social groups are adequately catered for. You will have the chance to meet the local Maasai community. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Jovago.com and Agoda so you can book your Mara Leisure Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mara Leisure Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Mara Leisure Camp Kenya/Masai Mara National Reserve