“Paradise in the Mara North” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Karen Blixen Camp

Karen Blixen Camp
Sydney
“Paradise in the Mara North”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

We have just spent 5 nights at Karen Blixen Camp. It was heavenly. A special thank you to Lillian in the office, Anne at reception and Safari..the coolest waiter in Kenya.
The game drives were well organised and the pack lunch on the full day drive was a feast on the savannah. Far too much food!
The food in the restaurant was great and certainly plentiful. My husband has a food allergy and they were super accommodating.
We saw all the animals we were craving and got tons of photos. The wonderful part about Karen Blixen is that you don't need to go on a drive to see the animals. You can sit in a lawn chair and watch the animals come to the river for a drink: crocs, hippos, impala, elephants, giraffes, warthogs...and you can do all of this with a cool drink in your hand.
Drinks are included (soft drinks, beer and wine) with accommodation prices. At some places this would mean slow service or waiters that were hard to be found...at KB, they couldn't wait to fill your glass or offer you refreshment.
Some advice: if you have a late breakfast, sometimes the pickings were a bit slim and the Internet works best in the back office.
Overall, it was heaven. Thank you so much!

Room Tip: We had tent 1. It was a long walk, but so quiet. Elephants and other animals tried to visit but sec...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AussieCanadian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at this camp as part of our safari trip to Kenya. We were not with a group but we had a wonderful guide with us. Our driver was Dominique and he was fantastic and made sure we got to see everything over the 3 days.We had been at 2 camps prior to this on the trip and they were all different but this one was special. The staff in the dining area were friendly and helpful. The tents are very luxurious and really nicely fitted out with everything you need and an outdoor shower. The water is solar heated so the best time of day to shower is late afternoon.
The camp employs a lot of local people - which is great - so if you go be considerate and know that sometimes the service is not going to be great whiles staff are learning. It's a wonderful initiative to assist the locals and well worth a little inconvenience at times.
The Maasai Mara Reserve is fantastic and this is surely the best camp to stay at to see the animals and at the end of the day come home to a luxurious environment. What could be better than having hippo drinking from the water hole while you are having your afternoon G & T !

Room Tip: We had a tent at the very end of the line and it was too far away for us. If I went again I would r...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank T_GPrice
Stamford, Connecticut, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I just returned from a two week stay to Africa where I was lucky enough to experience three different lodges on Safari and this was my favorite! With only 22 tents and a wonderful staff who really took the time to get to know me and make sure everything was just as I wished, I couldn't have dreamed of a better experience. Derrick, my waiter made sure to bring me refills of whatever I was drinking and even got me another entree because I couldn't make up my mind what to eat. The food was great! The massage in the open-air tent alongside the river was so memorable and felt amazing I even added on another treatment. The driver who picked me up from another camp and brought me to a Masai village where I danced with the women and men and then to a school where I was able to sing and read to the kids was one of the most unforgettable times of my life. This is what I think about daily and will never forget!!! I loved sitting around the campfire at night with visitors from all over the world and the staff who run a teaching kitchen for the local Masai. And, how the manager personally greets you and sits down with you to welcome you and then at the end of the day discusses your drives and answers any questions you have. I needed to change my flight and I was lucky enough that they set that up for me with ease and allowed me to have lunch too. I didn't want to leave :((((

The tent was huge and so comfortable. I loved the day bed on the porch and now wish I was sitting there watching the hippos, elephants, zebras and baboons all living their life while I was lucky enough to be privy enough to watch it! The outdoor shower in the sunlight is such a bonus too!!!! Just make sure to ask for a tent that is not too far from the main area because it can be a 10 minute walk.I forgot to mention I was traveling by myself and everyone made me feel so welcome!!!!!!!!
Thank you for my wonderful experience the staff at Karen Blixen Camp

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Holly H
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

I visited the Karen Blixen Camp for the second year in a row. It was every bit as wonderful as I had remembered. We arrived on the flight from Nanyuki at about 11:00am and before we even got to the camp, we had already seen elephants, giraffes, cape buffalo, and many kinds of deer. Lunch was a very nice buffet, and then we were off on our first game drive. Our guide, Nicholas was fantastic! He is wonderfully knowledgable about every living thing on the Mara. Ask him to sing, he has a beautiful voice.
Our tent facing the Mara River was luxurious and comfortable. After a wonderful outdoor shower, we had a lovely dinner, then returned to find the beds turned down with hot water bottles warming them for us. Next morning we had a wonderful buffet breakfast-the omelet bar is fabulous-and off on another game drive, with Nicholas again as our guide. We saw everything we'd seen the day before, as well as lions, a cheetah, and a leopard. Nicholas knows all of the animals by name and where to find them.
Everyone at the camp is helpful and professional, and the tents are wonderful. My only complaint was that the WiFi wasn't working, although cell reception was perfect.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank SuzySP
Camps Bay, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed at Karen Blixen in early August 2013. The camp is well appointed, the central area has a great 'old colonial style' feel to it and overlooks the river and the resident hippos. The permanent tents are lovely, just as they look on their website; polished wooden floors, very comfortable bed, good linen. One irritant was very poor lighting in the bathroom; my husband had to shine a torch at the mirror above the basin in order for me to put my contact lenses in. But we were there in overcast weather, perhaps it's better when sunny.
Food was ok, but not spectacular.
The one negative for me was the situation; the camp is in the Mara North conservancy, not the Mara National park. (It is alongside). This means that the camp is only a few km's from a Masai village and the route into and out of the camp passes cattle, goats, sheep, dogs and people. The game viewing was superb, particularly the pride of more than 21 lion, with cubs. But to get to them one had to travel an appalling road (really off-road track) and past the local community.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lucinda D
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

This camp was the highlight of a 10 trip to East Africa. Another couple, my husband and I spent 3 nights there. The setting is lovely, the people friendly and helpful and the safaris outstanding. Everyone stays inluxurious tents with complete bathrooms and beautiful verandahs overlooking the Mara river. The beds were comfortable and we enjoyed the hot water bottles in the bed at night.

We took 4 different safari trips while we were there. Each one was different, we saw different animals including 4 male lions which were magnificent. We took one early morning trip in which we were served a picnic breakfast overlooking the river where we could see hippos, crocodiles, baboons and many birds.

Try to plan your stay so you can spend a morning watching the animals come down to the river. The morning we did that we saw elephants, giraffes, elands, gazelles, zebras and hippos. The hippos are always there and if you wake up in the night you will hear them grunting.

In short, we highly recommend Karen Blixen Camp.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Gail L
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Fantasic location, fabulous accommodation, wonderful service, professional staff, great guides. Awesome time and a wonderful safair expereince. I stayed with my wife and mum and we had an amazing safari expereince! We got to see the big 5 and the ugly 5, many times over, but different prides and locations etc each time. Saw the migration across the Mara River twice - something ticked off the bucket list. From the camp, and without leaving acommodation you could see crocs, hippos, giraffes, elephants, warthogs, bamboons and gazelles... And once you went on safari you go to see these and much more. A trip to the local school and Maasai Village is a must. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We stayed in No. 6 which was a great location - close to the water, close to the dinning room and cl...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family