“What a great experience!”
Review of Karen Blixen Camp

Karen Blixen Camp
Bloomington, Illinois
“What a great experience!”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I was fortunate to spend three nights at the Karen Blixen Camp in mid September. Sineal and the rest of his staff were absolutely the best; they know and practice the art of hospitality! From the first moment I arrived, someone was always attentive to my needs . Since I was traveling alone, they made a special effort to seek me out and share their insights into the camp and the breathtaking Maasai Mara. I felt that I was truly taken care of! Can't say enough about the warmth and friendliness of the staff. The accommodations and food were also excellent. My guide for the game drives was extremely knowledgeable, polite, and helpful. It was an experience of a lifetime and I would love to return to this camp someday.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Robert D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I can't stress just how much we enjoyed our stay here. It was our first time in Kenya and our first safari and we chose the Karen Blixon Camp on the basis of it's location and level of comfort along with it's ethos of responsible tourism and eco credentials.

The camp and its staff did not dissapoint on any level. We saw all but the elusive leopard durng our stay and our game driver 'Lorna' was superb, she was a great driver and provided us with some great views, such as a cheetah kill, which was later stollen by hyena, two feeds by two different lioness, a wildebeest stampeed river crossing and a black rhino amongst many other great animal sitings.

The staff at the camp were lovely and provided a great level of service, the rooms were luxurious with great views and the food was of a very high standard. The camp was very clean with the grounds well kept.

The fact that you can view animals from the main lodge against the river setting is unique and makes for a very relaxing break following game drives.

Special mentions to Collins, Anne, Lorna, Daniel who looked after us and made our stay even more enjoyable.

The camp itself is very impressive with the food either locally grown or sourced locally, energy created from solar power and water recycled.

I can highly recommend this camp, it was a fantastic holiday.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are perfectly located by the river but given the choice a room closet to the main l...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jonsi_82
Auckland, NZ
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed 5 nights at Karen Blixen Camp at the beginning of June 13. I have nothing but praise for the wonderful hospitality we experienced from Lillian, Sineal, Lucy and Simon to name a few. While we were there our driver and guide Dominic was extremely helpful and knowledgeable and feels passionate to show off the people and children of Kenya including the wonderful array of animals right on our door step. We were even lucky enough to see some of the migration. Lots of cheetah’s, giraffe’s, elephants and of course hippo’s. Our room was amazing right on the river and wonderfully cleaned every day and a hotwater bottle each night. Our waitress Lucy was wonderful arranging our table under the tree close to the river front with a wonderful view of the hippo colony across the river. And the food was amazing! With 5 nights there we fitted a lot of activities apart from the morning and afternoon Safari's we had our nails done at the spa, we took a tour of the camp and learnt of the ecofriendly features, visited a masai mara village and a special highlight was a visit to the local school, doctors rooms and village market. Our only recommendation is to stay for more than 3 days and if you think you want to visit the school they are desperate for some children’s books in any language or maps or pictures. We took pencils and pens with Australian themes on them as I know from previous experience that these are always needed and the staff at KB enjoyed a few of them to. We are now just busy planning our next visit. Don’t wait just go!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tanya R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

My wife n I along with another couple spent 3 nights at KB at the end of Aug.2013. Although nice I think it's a little short of the top end camps and it's value for money.
The camp is situated in a great spot on the Mara River with resident game in constant view from the good out door sitting area. The dining/lounge area is welcoming and the open fire is a great place to relax after a day in the bush. Buffet breakfast & lunch is simple but enough and the chef is more than happy to cook you something of your choosing. The evening meal was better although the veg options not on a par with the meaty main. The attention to detail from your dedicated waiter and tour driver is a good personal touch. Rooms are excellent (although ours were a bit far) with robes and slippers for that luxury touch with the open air shower a real treat but could do with a blanket in the colder months. Due to the location of the camp your walk home at the end of the night is with a guard due to the risk of crocs & hippos. The Spa was also quite good with nice views whilst you get a massage.
The not so good....
1. No sign post from the main road to guide you in. As locals we drove ourselves but went too far as there was no sign
2. The road in needs grading a little. Very bumpy drive in (and out each time) which could be better if this was done
3. Owner communication?? there was none.... although the owners were constantly around none of them took the time to chat to us. Did to westerners?
4. Breakfast & lunch buffet could be better with better/fresher items although the bush lunch was good
5. Value for ££$$... for the money you spend KB could do better. Rooms are nice the location is good but overall...room for improvement.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NBO71
Sydney
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We have just spent 5 nights at Karen Blixen Camp. It was heavenly. A special thank you to Lillian in the office, Anne at reception and Safari..the coolest waiter in Kenya.
The game drives were well organised and the pack lunch on the full day drive was a feast on the savannah. Far too much food!
The food in the restaurant was great and certainly plentiful. My husband has a food allergy and they were super accommodating.
We saw all the animals we were craving and got tons of photos. The wonderful part about Karen Blixen is that you don't need to go on a drive to see the animals. You can sit in a lawn chair and watch the animals come to the river for a drink: crocs, hippos, impala, elephants, giraffes, warthogs...and you can do all of this with a cool drink in your hand.
Drinks are included (soft drinks, beer and wine) with accommodation prices. At some places this would mean slow service or waiters that were hard to be found...at KB, they couldn't wait to fill your glass or offer you refreshment.
Some advice: if you have a late breakfast, sometimes the pickings were a bit slim and the Internet works best in the back office.
Overall, it was heaven. Thank you so much!

Room Tip: We had tent 1. It was a long walk, but so quiet. Elephants and other animals tried to visit but sec...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AussieCanadian
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at this camp as part of our safari trip to Kenya. We were not with a group but we had a wonderful guide with us. Our driver was Dominique and he was fantastic and made sure we got to see everything over the 3 days.We had been at 2 camps prior to this on the trip and they were all different but this one was special. The staff in the dining area were friendly and helpful. The tents are very luxurious and really nicely fitted out with everything you need and an outdoor shower. The water is solar heated so the best time of day to shower is late afternoon.
The camp employs a lot of local people - which is great - so if you go be considerate and know that sometimes the service is not going to be great whiles staff are learning. It's a wonderful initiative to assist the locals and well worth a little inconvenience at times.
The Maasai Mara Reserve is fantastic and this is surely the best camp to stay at to see the animals and at the end of the day come home to a luxurious environment. What could be better than having hippo drinking from the water hole while you are having your afternoon G & T !

Room Tip: We had a tent at the very end of the line and it was too far away for us. If I went again I would r...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank T_GPrice
Stamford, Connecticut, USA
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I just returned from a two week stay to Africa where I was lucky enough to experience three different lodges on Safari and this was my favorite! With only 22 tents and a wonderful staff who really took the time to get to know me and make sure everything was just as I wished, I couldn't have dreamed of a better experience. Derrick, my waiter made sure to bring me refills of whatever I was drinking and even got me another entree because I couldn't make up my mind what to eat. The food was great! The massage in the open-air tent alongside the river was so memorable and felt amazing I even added on another treatment. The driver who picked me up from another camp and brought me to a Masai village where I danced with the women and men and then to a school where I was able to sing and read to the kids was one of the most unforgettable times of my life. This is what I think about daily and will never forget!!! I loved sitting around the campfire at night with visitors from all over the world and the staff who run a teaching kitchen for the local Masai. And, how the manager personally greets you and sits down with you to welcome you and then at the end of the day discusses your drives and answers any questions you have. I needed to change my flight and I was lucky enough that they set that up for me with ease and allowed me to have lunch too. I didn't want to leave :((((

The tent was huge and so comfortable. I loved the day bed on the porch and now wish I was sitting there watching the hippos, elephants, zebras and baboons all living their life while I was lucky enough to be privy enough to watch it! The outdoor shower in the sunlight is such a bonus too!!!! Just make sure to ask for a tent that is not too far from the main area because it can be a 10 minute walk.I forgot to mention I was traveling by myself and everyone made me feel so welcome!!!!!!!!
Thank you for my wonderful experience the staff at Karen Blixen Camp