“Authentic, comfortable and exciting - even at 8 month pregnant!”
Review of Offbeat Mara Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Masai Mara National Reserve
Offbeat Mara Camp
Nairobi, Kenya
“Authentic, comfortable and exciting - even at 8 month pregnant!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My partner and I spend 3 wonderful nights at Mara Offbeat. We were looking for 3 nights out of Nairobi before the arrival of our first born next month and our stay there was everything and more than we were hoping for. The camp was just what you would want on a luxury bush safari, tents were clean, spacious and comfortable. Food was excellent. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating and the managers, Kyle and Lara were excellent company and made every effort to make sure I was comfortable and had all I needed. Being a avid walker myself and and my partner a keen fisherman Kyle tailor made us a bush walk to accommodate my being 8 months pregnant which also tied in a lovely rest stop where the fishing was plentiful...not to mention all the game we saw both on our walk and from our tent! It was an all round authentic safari experience with good dose of luxury and pampering! Thanks Offbeat Mara

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
OffbeatKenya, Owner at Offbeat Mara Camp, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you very much for your review and lovely to hear that you had such a wonderful time at Offbeat Mara Camp. I will be sure to pass your comments on to Kyle, Lara and the rest of the team.

It's great to hear that you saw so many animals right from your tent, enjoyed the spacious tents and the food. And lovely to hear that Kyle did such a good job putting together a walk/fishing trip for you and your husband to both enjoy. Also Congratulations in advance on the arrival of your first born next month!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Bandon, Oregon
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed at three different camps in Kenya and think Offbeat Mara is the absolute best! Our camp hosts, Kyle and Lara are a charming couple who look after every need you might encounter. The food was wonderful and the whole feel of the camp is very friendly and fun. The tents are spacious and clean and the laundry service is great. Our guide, David, and spotter Keemonee, were outstanding. They did everything they could to make sure we saw what we came to see. We saw plenty right from our tent's veranda! We saw zebra, buffalo, gazelles, wildebeest, giraffes, elephants and even lions from our tent, and we heard them too!
We finished off our visit with a lovely Sundowner that Kyle and Lara arranged for all of us. It was a trip of a lifetime and we are certainly glad that Offbeat was part of it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

OffbeatKenya, Owner at Offbeat Mara Camp, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you very much for your lovely review and great to hear that you had such a wonderful time at Offbeat Mara Camp. I will be sure to pass your comments on to Kyle, Lara, David and the rest of the team.

It's great to hear that you saw so many animals right from your tent's veranda during your stay and that you enjoyed the camps friendly and fun atmosphere. And lovely to hear that you enjoyed your sundowners.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My wife and I went to Kenya with another young couple for a holiday, it was the first time any of us had been on safari. After a fantastic 4 nights at Offbeats -Sosian Lodge, we arrived at Offbeat Mara camp. The whole experience was first class. Kyle and Lara were wonderful hosts, the camp had a really friendly feel to it, the staff were all efficient and polite and really happy people. The wildlife exceeded all our expectations. We saw all that we had hoped for and a great deal more. The quality and quantity of wildlife was brilliant. We particularly enjoyed having local Maasai guides and spotters. Joseph and Kapeen were brilliant and we grew very fond of them, their knowledge of the countryside was thorough and they had a great sense of humour. They also gave us a real insight into the local culture - a real highlight being when we visited a local Maasai village. A credit to all involved.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
OffbeatKenya, Owner at Offbeat Mara Camp, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you very much for your lovely review and great to hear that you had such a wonderful time at Offbeat Mara Camp. I will be sure to pass your comments on to Kyle, Lara, Joseph, Kapeen and the rest of the team.

It's great to hear that you saw so many animals during your stay and that you enjoyed the camps friendly atmosphere and were well looked after. And lovely to hear that you enjoyed your experience at the local Masai village.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed at the Offbeat Mara Camp in early April. As it was my first safari, I can't necessarily compare this experience to others, but overall, it was lovely.

The camp is simply/rustically decorated, but immaculately kept. My tent was very clean, and I personally liked that the camp tries to conserve as much as possible--we had re-usable water bottles and Kyle, the camp manager, explained that the camp can be completely taken down with little damage to the environment.

Kyle, the manager, was great. He listened carefully to any concerns guests had and was also very accommodating, as I had to take a few business calls while I was there.

Food was lovely, but portions were too large (a good or a bad thing, depending on your preferences), as the food was generally already plated when served.

This camp is in the Mara North, a conservation area. It is more isolated and was therefore fantastic in that you were generally "alone" in the car--I rarely saw other cars or people, so it really gave the feeling of isolation.

A few suggestions/items of note:
As I mentioned, this camp is in a more isolated area--a good thing, generally, for these types of trips. However, while I was told that there was slow wifi available at the camp, I was not told that there would be no cell phone service in any area in the camp. When I found this out, I quickly had to figure out how to contact a few coworkers and let them know what was going on, as I had promised to be available (albeit on a minimal basis). As well, as a solo female traveler, I would have felt more comfortable knowing there was a number I could give to people to get in touch with me. Again, while I think it's great that the camp is isolated, had I known there would be no cell service ahead of time, I would

Our spotter seemed generally distracted on the first day and not very interested in showing us animals. Luckily, the other women in my car were very good at spotting animals. When confronted, Kyle was extremely responsive and promised to speak to our spotter, who improved afterwards.

If you are traveling alone, I would ensure that the camp has other residents (since it is a small camp) for the same weekend--it would have likely been very awkward to be the only person at the camp.

Overall, great experience--one I will never forget!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
OffbeatKenya, Owner at Offbeat Mara Camp, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you very much for your review here and it's lovely to hear that you had a lovely time at Offbeat Mara Camp. I will pass your comments on to Kyle and the rest of the team.

It is nice to hear that you appreciated the camps use of re-usable water bottles and that it is as unobtrusive to the environment as possible. And yes Mara North Conservancy goes from strength to strength and you can keep away from the crowds as you say. Apologies for the lack of cell phone service, the camp is in a remote area and unfortunately there is not a strong signal.

Hope to see you back in the Mara soon.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We had the most amazing time and were blown away by the amount of different animals there. On the first night we were woken by a buffalo right outside our tent! We saw loads of giraffe, zebra, elephants, lions, leopards, hippo, hyenas and cheetah, plus many other surprises. The guides were very knowledgeable, and Kyle and Lara were fantastic hosts. Great food and accommodation - amazing huge beds! Great cultural experience going to a real Masi Village too!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

OffbeatKenya, Owner at Offbeat Mara Camp, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you very much for your lovely review and great to hear that you had such a wonderful time at Offbeat Mara Camp. I will be sure to pass your comments on to Kyle, Lara and the rest of the team.

Great to hear that you saw so many animals during your stay and that you enjoyed the food, tents and the large beds! And lovely to hear that you enjoyed your experience at the Masai village.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed at Offbeat Mara camp with a small group of friends a few weeks before easter. For three of them it was their first time to Africa and this was the ideal place to go with them - our first day on safari we saw ALL three of the big cats - cheetah, lion and leopard (along with everything else) - simply fantastic!!! The camp itself was perfect - not too over the top and pretentious yet comfortable and well laid out and thought out (all the tents are new) - I couldn't fault the tents and wish I could have a similar one as a house! The food was great and the service from the staff. Our guide Joseph was great and knowledgeable as was Kimani our spotter. Kyle the new manager managed our stay perfectly and we enjoyed his hosting during our meal times. He even took me fishing and I caught my first catfish ever! All in all I cant fault this camp and it is one place I will go back to over and over again. Simply fantastic - can't commend it enough. N/B - The camp is in Mara North conservancy which is great as we barely saw another vehicle (and had all the big cat sightings to ourselves) - a sharp contrast with previous visits to the reserve where you do see other cars! Thanks for everything.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
OffbeatKenya, Owner at Offbeat Mara Camp, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you very much for your lovely review and great to hear that you had a wonderful time at Offbeat Mara Camp. I will pass your comments on to Kyle, Joseph, Kimani and the rest of the team.
Great to hear that you saw all three of the big cats: Cheetah, Lion and Leopard on your first day! And lovely to hear that you enjoyed staying in the new tents so much, the bucket showers and the food. And you are right, being in the Mara North conservancy you will barely see another vehicle and mostly have all the big cat sightings to yourselves.
Well done on catching your first ever catfish too!
Piers The camp is in-
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My safari experience at Offbeat Mara camp far exceeded my expectations. The staff were all welcoming and friendly. Kyle was an excellent host, generously imparting his knowledge of wildlife and regaling us with wild tales around the camp fire. The food was fabulous; every meal was a culinary surprise. The banoffee pie and goat curry were the finest I’ve ever had. Our guide and spotter, Joseph and Kimani are real experts; their skills ensuring we saw such rarities as leopard cubs, marsh mongoose and aardwolf. The trip to the local Maasai manyatta was another highlight and a must see. If you are looking for the ultimate safari experience, Offbeat Mara camp will meet your expectations.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
OffbeatKenya, Owner at Offbeat Mara Camp, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Great to hear that you enjoyed the food, especially the curry and banoffee pie so much . Also wonderful to hear that you saw an Aardwolf, marsh mongoose and a lovely sighting of Leopard cubs which is pretty rare.