“Awesome experience that I will never forget.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Oldarpoi Mara Camp

Oldarpoi Mara Camp
Valencia
“Awesome experience that I will never forget.”
Reviewed 31 March 2010

It was cool that they had hot running water and toilets that flushed better than some of my other Kenyan hotel rooms. The Maasai warriors were very kind. The food was great. What stood out most to me was eating outside during the safari.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2010

Three lionesses came out of the grass so close to our van that if we weren’t paralyzed with happiness we could have reached out and scratched their Big Cat ears. The four of us stopped breathing when we saw the little cub paws follow. “Oh my good God, that’s a baby lion.” We nearly passed out with excitement as nine more cubs followed clumsily behind. That was day three of our safari with Nelson and John at Oldarpoi Camp. Needless to say I was humming the soundtrack of The Lion King the entire time.

Before we even arrived, Nelson, founder of Oldarpoi Camp, responded to every email promptly and gave us wonderful suggestions on how to make the most of our five day safari adventure. Throughout our stay Nelson’s kindness, patience (you need barrels of it to deal with some of the questions we asked!), and knowledge of the Mara was impressive to say the very least. The Maasai Warriors at the camp seemed just as excited to chit chat with us as we were to watch them in a spear throwing contest! Willie, the chef, and Sam, chef-in-training, really knocked our socks off with the food they prepared; whether we were dinning on the best meat pies EVER or traditional stews we were always left speechless with the greatness of what was put in front of us.

We left our comfortable tents (complete with hardwood floors, a little table, and 2 very comfortable beds) each morning to have a delicious breakfast and head out for the entire day in our van. We saw the top ten animals in our first 3 days but the absolute highlights for me were the lion cubs, the leopard, driving through a herd of water buffalo, the impala boxing match (broken up after 10 minutes by another, less patient, and much larger impala referee) and the hilarious warthogs. I must admit that my brain was jiggled about quite a lot with the landscape of the Mara (and the Kenyan government for some odd reason has not yet responded to my road condition complaint email) but that was easily remedied by an aspirin and a glass of wine; both of which I highly recommend you bring with you.

Each night we sat by the fire and listened to stories from Nelson and the other Maasai Warriors and felt like the luckiest people on earth. After being walked to the washroom by one of the fearless Maasai warriors (and him laughing himself into a fit of tears when I started yelling at a bug I didn’t actually see) I went to sleep with lions roaring in the background and knew I’d be back. Soon.

I miss you guys. Keep up all the great work.
xx
Tanya

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank CanadaTanya
Sydney
Reviewed 18 March 2010

I selected this camp in the Maasai Mara after reading a wonderful review in the New York Times and reading the reviews on tripadvisor. Everything written about this camp is completely accurate but also so much more. I would go back in a second.

Nelson and John are the friendliest, most genuine and hardworking guides you can find in the area. Nelson's knowlege from growing up in the area and John's tireless attitude makes for a wonderful journey.

The camp itself is very clean, orgnized and safe. The food is first rate (Willy & Sam's crepes & samosas are some of the best I have ever had). The Maasi Warriors were diligent in guarding the camp, and providing spear throwing lessons to a certain Fundi Mzungo!

If you want a once in a lifetime experience while giving back to the local community in the area this is the place to go. Keep up the wondeful work Nelson!

Can't wait to come back. Miss you all very much.

M & S

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 11 March 2010

From the moment Nelson and John picked us up in Nairobi, I knew the safari was going to be a wonderful experience. Their smiling faces welcomed us to what was to be an exciting five day adventure. Their laid back professional attitudes made us feel comfortable from the moment we began our journey to Lake Nakuru and then on to the Maasai Mara.
Every element of the trip was fantastic: the knowledge guides (Nelson and John), the fabulous camp setting close to the park gates, spectacular food (thanks to Willie and Sam), and the protective Maasai warriors. We were able to see all of the top 10 animals (including 3 lionesses and 10 cubs) which was due in large part to John and Nelson’s knowledge of the park and long safari trips.
Visiting the rescue centre and school were a real highlight – the work the group is due is truly inspiring and learning about the cause was an eye opening experience. Thank you to the entire staff for all the work you are doing and making our safari the highlight of my trip to Kenya!! Sarah, Toronto, Canada

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 25 February 2010

The staff at Oldarpoi Camp really did try to think of every thing to make our stay enjoyable. There were two in our party, as soon as we arrived at the camp we were welcomed with friendly smiles, drinks and refreshing flannels, this was great after a day travelling. Our tent was very spacious for two people, clean and well kept. The beds were large, and they were very comfortable. There was also plenty of space between the tents so we did not get disturbed. Throughout our stay, every wish was catered for. It is hard to think how the camp could be improved upon. My vegetarian diet seemed to be no problem for Willy the chef, who served up delicious cooked breakfasts, salads and wonderful hot foods from around the World. He even gave us a cookery lesson, which was very interesting and much appreciated. The toilet facilities were fine and there was always hot water for a shower. We really enjoyed talking about the day, sharing funny stories and learning about the Maasai culture during the evenings around campfire. The stars on a clear night are like nothing I have ever seen before, an Astronomer‘s dream! We helped at a local village school and visited local communities where the people were all very welcoming and hospitable. The genuine kindness and friendliness of the Kenyan people we met will stay with me for the rest of my life. I am glad we took a lot of photos; I hope we can stay in touch with everyone at camp and that we can return one day. It was a wonderful, happy and fun experience. I had a holiday of a lifetime and one I would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends