I was going to Africa to visit my daughter.From the time we met in Nairobi until we left 5 days later, we were completely taken care of by Nelson, our tour operator-owner-guide extraordinaire.We were picked up at the airport by the hotel (Country Lodge) which was part of the package deal with Nelson ( great choice Nelson!) He picked us up at the hotel early the next morning and drove us out to his campsite.
The camp is located just outside of the park , situated on the gently sloping side of a mountain.The tents were bug-free, clean and roomy enough for the two of us.The beds were surprisingly comfortable. A bathroom is built on the back of each tent , and thanks to a solar panel at the camp, you have electricity and warm water.The food was delicious and plentiful.Everyone was sooo friendly and truly wanted you to enjoy yourself.
The fact that the money earned stayed locally made me feel good.The Maasai own the camp and the money goes back to the village, helping with education and for shelters to protect girls from FGM. At night, there is a guard from the village on duty.
Each morning, Nelson and his driver, Cosmo, would take us into the park and educate us on the land, the animals and the Maasai people. We saw cheetah, a leopard in a tree, wildebeast, zebra, giraffes, elephants, vultures, hippos, crocs and lots of lions. One lion strolled by our van and took a dump close enough for us to realize that digested wildebeast smells awful! Ha! Nelson has a knack for knowing where the animals are and uses his C.B. radio to keep in contact with other guides to find animals and alert others to where the animals were.Don't let the fact that he wears glasses fool you...this man has the eyes of an eagle and the hunting skills of a hungry lioness.He will find the animals.
At the river, we kept waiting for the wildebeast and zebra.It looked like they would not cross that day and we were ready to give up when Nelson spotted a herd of wildebeast behind us charging toward the river. We were the first to get to the edge of the river and had a perfect view of the charging, snorting wildebeast, the clouds of dust as they descended into the water and climbed the rocky hillside on the far side of the riverbank. It was just like you see on nature shows , only, WE WERE REALLY THERE!! WOW!!!!
We also got to visit the village where the villagers welcomed us with songs and a tour of a home and got to buy locally made crafts.I regret that we didn't ask to visit the school.
We then went on to Lake Nakuru which was gorgeous and saw more animals: rhino, hyena, jackals and many , many flamingos.
It was a wonderful trip. Nelson and his staff will take good care of you , the money stays locally ,you will see many animals and this man even has a picture of his lovely mom on the dining hall -how can you not like this man!! My daughter has been on many safaris before but ranked this safari as the best ever.Our pictures are getting tons of compliments.I hope to visit again someday, but, until then, thank you Nelson, for a wonderful time.Keep up the good work!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oldarpoi Mara camp, is operated in partnership with the local Maasai community. The camp is concerned with the welfare of the local community .Our vision is to transform the local community, socially and economically.We support the Ole keene primary school with teacher's salaries, children sponsorship programs etc.The school has more than 300 children and we built classrooms for them including a rescue center unit to accommodate young girls running away from cultural practices such Female Genital Mutilation ( FGM ) and early marriage.We also plan to establish a community library which will include a learning center and conservation projects.Guests who would like to volunteer in any of our projects as part of a unique safari experience are highly encouraged to do so..This will make a difference to the community.The camp has permanent tents with beds, bedding, complete solar Water heating and lighting system, flush toilets and hot showers - all the trappings of home! We are also an accomplished safaris outfitter with best trained Maasai guides! We offer safaris and tours to different destinations throughout East Africa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Oldarpoi Mara Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oldarpoi Maasai Safari Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Oldarpoi Mara Camp Kenya/Masai Mara National Reserve