“Absolutely Heaven!”

Ngerende Island Lodge
Stuttgart
“Absolutely Heaven!”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

This safari was truly a dream come true... though thinking about it, I really don't believe that I have ever dreamt of something as beautiful as Ngerende. This was my 4th trip to the Masai Mara and having stayed at the standard hotels, we decided to try out a boutique hotel for a change.

Though it is on the more expensive side, what Ngerende offers is an all inclusive stay and believe me, it is a wonderful experience when you know that there are no extra costs and you can simply enjoy the pleasures of the hotel. We stayed at the honeymoon suite and it was simply beautiful. The room has its own fireplace, a large deck, an outside pool, a standalone bath facing the mara river, a fantastic canopy bed... and...and.... and. We had our own butler for the entire stay and he took care of our every wish. He noted what drinks we liked with our meals, what foods we liked and aimed to ensure that the following day, our wishes were served even before we needed to make a request.

After every morning game drive and evening drive, we came back to find the fireplace lit and a bubble bath ran for us!! This was such a pleasant surprise! The Chef also ensured that he asked for our feedback after every meal and also to ask if there was anything in particular we wanted for the next meal. He even allowed my fiance to show him how to make eggs the way my fiance liked and the next day, the chef ensured he cooked them just like that! I truly applaud an establishment that takes customer feedback seriously and that is looking to better itself each day - kudos to the chef!

A very warm thank you to the staff at Ngerende, each one of you made our stay memorable. We have stayed at several 5 star hotels, and there I would say you deserve 8 stars not just for the lodge but especially for the service and warmness of your staff!!

Keep it up and keep continuing to better yourselves each day!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river, you can then get to see the hippos and also the sound of the water...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Polish first
Gentofte, Kobenhavn, Denmark
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Couldn't fill more spoilt. My husband and I went there after 6 days of work in Nairobi. We had an amazing Masai guide (Lang) how had at great knowledge about the wildlife, our butler Evens did everything too please us and made a lot of surprises. All the staff was amassing and extremely kind. I also had a wonderful massage, down by the river where I could here the hippos hanging out.
The wildlife was amassing, even though we weren't there in high season. When we came back from our afternoon trip there fire was lit in the open fireplace and the tub filled :-)
We give this lodge our warmest recommendation and hope to get back soon with our 3 children.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Pune,India
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I am a little late on reviewing this one, but just had to put it in...We traveled to the Masai Mara in December 2011 and I must say, that having traveled a lot, this was by far the best experience in Hospitality....At Ngerende, they welcome you like they have been waiting only for you...feels special !

The entire staff is introduced and they note your likes and dislikes. The chef at Ngerende is just amazing...he makes the most awesome dishes !!! We stayed there for 3 nights and I couldn't get enough of his delicious food !! Since I love cooking myself, one morning I felt the urge to cook myself my favorite breakfast of eggs (Indian Style), and the chef very gladly let me into their kitchen and helped me cook !! It was a wonderful experience....will never forget it :)

The service is sooo personlized, the chef would have our names written beautifully with cream in our Soups...

But what I liked most about Ngerende is that everyday, they changed the location of our meals....they set-up a beautiful table and let you enjoy every aspect of the resort !!

The spa is also a must try...a relaxing massage overlooking the river !!

They try and make your stay soo comfortable that there is nothing you will need that they dont make available....I had misplaced my luggage while traveling and had no safari shoes...they gave me a pair to use for our entire stay..must say, very accommodating !!

I would not only recommend going here, but also will definitely go back there myself again !!

We had the most memorable, romantic, personalized and beautiful experience at Ngerende !!

Room Tip: A room with a plunge pool, overlooking the river is an absolute must at Ngerende...it is an amazing...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

A beautiful and luxurious retreat in the middle of the Mara away from everything except wildlife creatures and mother nature. Nestled atop a river that is home to a group of hippos emitting the occasional grunt lie a set of villas that surpass expectations. Service was first class, the chef discusses every meal and pays attention to every wish. It was very humbling to get back to a basic reality experiencing the search for animals, learning about them and visiting the local Masai tribe. A holiday to remember.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms overlooking the hippo pod
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GeralGB
Seattle, W
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I could not imagine a more wonderful experience on Safari. Amenities are exceptional, service is outstanding, guides are personable and knowledgeable, and food is superb! Came here with my husband and two dear friends, all of whom had been on safari elsewhere in Africa - nothing compares! Amazing wildlife - and coming home to a warm fire and drawn bath is really just over the top. Not to mention the hospitality and personal attention from the staff - and former resident Eland. Will never forget it! Thank you.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Isiolo, Eastern, Kenya
Reviewed 18 February 2013

This place is not for kings or queens but for King and Queen makers. Took a chance with it and we both loved the place. Attention to detail is superb, then there is the butler service and the plate service as opposed to the buffet. The game drives with our driver Steve were amazing and he has intricate knowledge of the place including a visit to the white rhino sanctuary and spotting the ever rare leopard....
The food is amazing with presentation being world class not to mention you can request anything you want the chef to prepare for you. local beers,wine as well as some spirits are part of the package.I highly recommend the honey moon suite,amazing plunge pool with an awesome view....
What more can I say, a repeat visit is due in the near future......

Room Tip: Honey moon suite,simply amazing and very private
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Walter M
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 6 February 2013

1st class service was our experience at Ngerende Island Lodge. It always got me curious to want to establish why they called it an Island. For the simple fact that the luxurious lodge lies between the convergence of the Mara and Talek rivers.

From the onset of our inquiry to the time we landed at the lodge, everything was super! timely response, professional handling of everything. It is hard to find any fault with this haven in the wild. With only seven suites, the staff give their guests ultimate personalized services. All inclusive kind of service from laundry to freshly prepared gourmet meals, unlimited drinks (except the premium brands) even while on game drives, to turn down services. Everything is perfect. Keep up the great service and you will have loyalty across the globe.

Would love to go back there for all our wedding anniversaries.

Room Tip: Request for the honeymoon suite. Often when it is available, you could get lucky and get a free upgr...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple