While in Kenya for some medical mission work, my husband & I were able to get away for a long weekend to the Mara. He surprised me with a stay in this incredible resort. We were welcomed by the Masai chanting around us as they escorted us to our check-in and greeted with fresh juice. When we made it to our tent/room, I kind of freaked out a little. It was SO gorgeous, and we could look down and watch the hippos in the water. Our butler, Walter, attended to everything we could have possibly needed, and we settled in for lunch near the infinity pool.
After our evening game drives, we would arrive back to a fire in the fireplace, and a hot bath drawn in the bathtub. The meals were extraordinary, and the chef was very inventive with limited resources, including a garden on the property. During the day we booked a couples massage & spa treatment. I don't know when I will next be able to get a massage while listening to the hippos in the Mara River.
Daniel - our Masai cultural ambassador - was very knowledgeable and passionate about his subject matter, and our game driver was also great, entertaining us with stories when we had a less-than-successful drive one evening.
The best moment was our last morning, which was my husband's birthday. I had mentioned it to Walter, thinking we could have a little piece of cake with a candle. After our walking safari and breakfast, we heard the unmistakable sound of the approaching Masai in full traditional dress, as they came in, surrounded our table, and the chef brought in a HUGE cake with candles as the whole staff sang to him. I was nearly in tears; it went so far above and beyond what I had expected and gave him a birthday he will never forget.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ngerende Island Lodge has only 7 luxury en-suite canvas and wood suites all with raised platforms giving panoramic views of the Mara River and the woods on the opposite bank. Each suite has polished Mahogany floors (including the terrace) and is very spacious providing open plan sleeping and living area complete with wood fire, a separate bathroom providing both Villeroy & Boch massage shower, open air bath (if desired) hand wash basins and flushing toilet. Comfortable seating is provided both in the living area and on the terrace so that the true tranquility of the lodge can be best appreciated. The distance between each suite has been maximised to reduce any risk of disturbance that may be caused by other guests. There is one honeymoon suite isolated from the main lodge, has a private plunge pool and Jacuzzi and has stunning views of the Mara river. Lovely touches as flowers on the bed, fire in the suites, bubble bath with essential oil prepared by your personal butler, hot-water bottle set Ngerende Island Lodge apart from the rest providing a memorable experience. The lodge has been designed to complement the safari experience so as to give comfort, luxury and service naturally. There is an abundance of wildlife both on the Conservation Ranch and of course within the Masai Mara Game Reserve to include Lion, Elephant, Rhino, Buffalo, Hippos and many others. A feature of the Conservation Ranch is an exclusive project to rear the White Rhino so that they can take their place back in the Mara society to which they belong in greater numbers. Over 180 varieties of birds have been spotted within the lodge itself and there are 3 Hippo Pods strategically located around the lodge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, South African Hotels, Jovago.com and Agoda so you can book your Ngerende Island Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ngerende Island Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Ngerende Island Lodge Kenya/Masai Mara National Reserve