“Like something out of a travel magazine”

and 1 more site!
Ngerende Island Lodge
Reviewed 24 June 2013

While in Kenya for some medical mission work, my husband & I were able to get away for a long weekend to the Mara. He surprised me with a stay in this incredible resort. We were welcomed by the Masai chanting around us as they escorted us to our check-in and greeted with fresh juice. When we made it to our tent/room, I kind of freaked out a little. It was SO gorgeous, and we could look down and watch the hippos in the water. Our butler, Walter, attended to everything we could have possibly needed, and we settled in for lunch near the infinity pool.

After our evening game drives, we would arrive back to a fire in the fireplace, and a hot bath drawn in the bathtub. The meals were extraordinary, and the chef was very inventive with limited resources, including a garden on the property. During the day we booked a couples massage & spa treatment. I don't know when I will next be able to get a massage while listening to the hippos in the Mara River.

Daniel - our Masai cultural ambassador - was very knowledgeable and passionate about his subject matter, and our game driver was also great, entertaining us with stories when we had a less-than-successful drive one evening.

The best moment was our last morning, which was my husband's birthday. I had mentioned it to Walter, thinking we could have a little piece of cake with a candle. After our walking safari and breakfast, we heard the unmistakable sound of the approaching Masai in full traditional dress, as they came in, surrounded our table, and the chef brought in a HUGE cake with candles as the whole staff sang to him. I was nearly in tears; it went so far above and beyond what I had expected and gave him a birthday he will never forget.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 May 2013

I stayed here 2 yrs ago and have only got round to commenting on our experience which was utterly amazing . We were moved here from fairmont safari camp dueto error in booking . We had the most amazing few days . I cannot fault a thing . The staff were exceptional rooms absolutely beautiful with views across the river . The food was prepared to our liking they even made a cake on our departure . The game drives were well organised even down to a surprise lunch on the mara and would you believe a portaloo !!! It's the best safari experience I've ever had I hope to return one day

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2013

This safari was truly a dream come true... though thinking about it, I really don't believe that I have ever dreamt of something as beautiful as Ngerende. This was my 4th trip to the Masai Mara and having stayed at the standard hotels, we decided to try out a boutique hotel for a change.

Though it is on the more expensive side, what Ngerende offers is an all inclusive stay and believe me, it is a wonderful experience when you know that there are no extra costs and you can simply enjoy the pleasures of the hotel. We stayed at the honeymoon suite and it was simply beautiful. The room has its own fireplace, a large deck, an outside pool, a standalone bath facing the mara river, a fantastic canopy bed... and...and.... and. We had our own butler for the entire stay and he took care of our every wish. He noted what drinks we liked with our meals, what foods we liked and aimed to ensure that the following day, our wishes were served even before we needed to make a request.

After every morning game drive and evening drive, we came back to find the fireplace lit and a bubble bath ran for us!! This was such a pleasant surprise! The Chef also ensured that he asked for our feedback after every meal and also to ask if there was anything in particular we wanted for the next meal. He even allowed my fiance to show him how to make eggs the way my fiance liked and the next day, the chef ensured he cooked them just like that! I truly applaud an establishment that takes customer feedback seriously and that is looking to better itself each day - kudos to the chef!

A very warm thank you to the staff at Ngerende, each one of you made our stay memorable. We have stayed at several 5 star hotels, and there I would say you deserve 8 stars not just for the lodge but especially for the service and warmness of your staff!!

Keep it up and keep continuing to better yourselves each day!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river, you can then get to see the hippos and also the sound of the water...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Couldn't fill more spoilt. My husband and I went there after 6 days of work in Nairobi. We had an amazing Masai guide (Lang) how had at great knowledge about the wildlife, our butler Evens did everything too please us and made a lot of surprises. All the staff was amassing and extremely kind. I also had a wonderful massage, down by the river where I could here the hippos hanging out.
The wildlife was amassing, even though we weren't there in high season. When we came back from our afternoon trip there fire was lit in the open fireplace and the tub filled :-)
We give this lodge our warmest recommendation and hope to get back soon with our 3 children.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I am a little late on reviewing this one, but just had to put it in...We traveled to the Masai Mara in December 2011 and I must say, that having traveled a lot, this was by far the best experience in Hospitality....At Ngerende, they welcome you like they have been waiting only for you...feels special !

The entire staff is introduced and they note your likes and dislikes. The chef at Ngerende is just amazing...he makes the most awesome dishes !!! We stayed there for 3 nights and I couldn't get enough of his delicious food !! Since I love cooking myself, one morning I felt the urge to cook myself my favorite breakfast of eggs (Indian Style), and the chef very gladly let me into their kitchen and helped me cook !! It was a wonderful experience....will never forget it :)

The service is sooo personlized, the chef would have our names written beautifully with cream in our Soups...

But what I liked most about Ngerende is that everyday, they changed the location of our meals....they set-up a beautiful table and let you enjoy every aspect of the resort !!

The spa is also a must try...a relaxing massage overlooking the river !!

They try and make your stay soo comfortable that there is nothing you will need that they dont make available....I had misplaced my luggage while traveling and had no safari shoes...they gave me a pair to use for our entire stay..must say, very accommodating !!

I would not only recommend going here, but also will definitely go back there myself again !!

We had the most memorable, romantic, personalized and beautiful experience at Ngerende !!

Room Tip: A room with a plunge pool, overlooking the river is an absolute must at Ngerende...it is an amazing...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2013

A beautiful and luxurious retreat in the middle of the Mara away from everything except wildlife creatures and mother nature. Nestled atop a river that is home to a group of hippos emitting the occasional grunt lie a set of villas that surpass expectations. Service was first class, the chef discusses every meal and pays attention to every wish. It was very humbling to get back to a basic reality experiencing the search for animals, learning about them and visiting the local Masai tribe. A holiday to remember.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms overlooking the hippo pod
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GeralGB
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I could not imagine a more wonderful experience on Safari. Amenities are exceptional, service is outstanding, guides are personable and knowledgeable, and food is superb! Came here with my husband and two dear friends, all of whom had been on safari elsewhere in Africa - nothing compares! Amazing wildlife - and coming home to a warm fire and drawn bath is really just over the top. Not to mention the hospitality and personal attention from the staff - and former resident Eland. Will never forget it! Thank you.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple