Mara Plains is fantastic! First of all the camp is just outside the Maasai Mara National Reserve in the Olare Orok Conservancy and only the camps in side Olare Orok Conservancy can travel within the Conservancy. This means that there will be very few vehicles when there is a siding. There are 4 lion prides in the conservancy, so on every outing we would see lions. There are also many cheetahs, elephants, giraffes, zebras, and etc. You also have easy access to the National Reserve since it is only a couple of kilometers away.
The camp itself is very unique. It is on the edge of a river and you actually cross a bridge to enter the camp. There are lots of trees that shade most of the camp. The gathering area is very inviting and comfortable. Our room was like a tree house. It was about 6’ off the ground. The living area was very roomy with lots of storage areas. It had a outside veranda that was about 10’ x 20’ and overlooked the river. The bathroom had a toilet, shower and sink. In the river there are 2 crocodiles (Bonnie and Clyde) that you could see them swimming around all the time.
The best part of the camp is the staff. Richard and Lorna are great hosts. They have a wealth of experience and knowledge and are happy to share with there guest. They eat every meal with us and had plenty of great stories to tell. Our guide Daniel was one of the most pleasant people I have ever met. He is Maasai and has spent his whole life in the area of the camp. He new all of the animals and there history and often new what they were going to do before they did it. He always put us in the right spot to get the best shot. The food was excellent!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This is a small, high quality, seven tented camp under canvas, located within the private Olare Motorogi Conservancy and just a few hundred meters to the north of the Maasai Mara National Reserve boundary. Guests can game drive in both the Maasai Mara National Reserve and the private Conservancy away from the crowds. It is a fabulous wildlife reserve of 30 000 acres, rich in wildlife (with all the predators and big cats in particular), with the lowest vehicle density in the Mara, no mini-buses and only one guest room per 700 acres. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels so you can book your Great Plains Conservation Mara Plains Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mara Plains Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Great Plains Conservation Mara Plains Camp Kenya/Masai Mara National Reserve