Mara Plains is a 30 min. drive from the airstrip if you don;t stop to look at the incredible animals, it took us well over an hour!!!
The camp consists of 6 luxury guest tents, 2 public tents and a dinning tent, all situated a on the side of a river (with resident Hippos) which is crossed by a swing bridge, nerve racking the first time but OK after that. we arrived late lunch time and were greeted with "fancy a gin & tonic" the start of 4 fantastic days stay.
TENTS:- Large tents with a well furnished terrace, are fitted out with a king size bed with wonderful pillows and bedding, bedside tables, hanging wardrobe and shelves, plenty of storage space, 3 pin English sockets for charging batteries but no hairdryers as the power is from batteries charged once a day. En-suite with twin sinks, loo and shower with your own hot water supply, good quality toiletries, bathrobes, slippers and large thick bath towels. Turn down service which includes 2 hot water bottles placed in your bed every night. All the sides of the tent are netted, we had no problems with bugs of any kind.
ROOM SERVICE:- early morning call with tea or coffee and biscuits
FOOD:- Breakfast consists of fresh fruit, cereals, fruit juice,pastries, toast, full cooked breakfast or eggs any way you like, if you have breakfast out on your game drive the only difference is the eggs are hard boiled.
Lunch is a hot and cold buffet which is prepared as you return from your game drive( nothing is left out in the heat) Fish, Beef, cold meats, salads, fresh bread, cheese, soft drinks and wine all followed by delicious sweets, tea or coffee
Pre dinner drinks in the lounge tent.
Dinner 3 course meal with a choice of main course (chicken, steak, lamb) all prepared and served with the quality of a 5* restaurant, wine or soft drinks, followed by tea or coffee and liqueurs. All drinks are international quality not local brands.
After dinner you are asked what time you would like your morning call and your preference of tea or coffee.
Dinner at Mara Plains is like a private dinner party.
GAME DRIVES:- All game drives are in adapted Toyota land Cruisers, which give everyone a 360 deg. view, as the camp has 3 of these there is no overcrowding, all the guides are of Gold or Silver standard and very knowledgeable. On every drive you are provided with water, soft drinks, beer, tea, coffee and snacks, with sun-downers on the late afternoon drives. Only on one day did we see more than 2 other vehicles. The animals we saw included Lions, Cheetah, Zebra, Giraffe, Gazelle, Cape Buffalo, Topi, Warthog, Eland, Wildebeest, Elephant, Leopard,Hyena, Jackal, Spring Hare to name but a few and of course there are all the different birds.
LAUNDRY:- Leave your clothes in the basket and they are returned the next afternoon clean and pressed.
The lounge does attract a lot of Moths at night, but they are an amazing sight I have never seen such large ones.
At first Mara Plains may appear expensive but when you consider that all food, drinks, laundry and park fees are included I feel it is marvellous value for money as your every need is taken care of, the only spending we did was on tips to the staff.
I could not find anything negative about Mara Plains and it was my first time in a tent, we will be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This is a small, high quality, seven tented camp under canvas, located within the private Olare Motorogi Conservancy and just a few hundred meters to the north of the Maasai Mara National Reserve boundary. Guests can game drive in both the Maasai Mara National Reserve and the private Conservancy away from the crowds. It is a fabulous wildlife reserve of 30 000 acres, rich in wildlife (with all the predators and big cats in particular), with the lowest vehicle density in the Mara, no mini-buses and only one guest room per 700 acres. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels so you can book your Mara Plains Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mara Plains Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Mara Plains Camp Kenya/Masai Mara National Reserve