“Visit with Gamewatchers!”

Ol Kinyei Conservancy
More attraction details
Owner description: Ol Kinyei Conservancy is 18,700 acres of wilderness which belongs to a Maasai community who leased it to Gamewatchers Safaris and Porini Camps for it to be set aside for the purposes of wildlife conservation. Ol Kinyei Conservancy is home to only two small permanent camps, the Porini Mara Camp and Porini Cheetah which between them accommodate a maximum of only 24 guests at any given time - making this not only an exclusive experience but one that respects the principles of eco-tourism. Located within the Serengeti-Mara eco-system, Ol Kinyei is renowned for its unspoilt and breathtaking scenery with diverse terrain offering on one hand open savannah plains and rolling hills on the other.
Reviewed 10 August 2014

What a beautiful area. And so green in the dry season. Fever forests, savanna, rocky crags, streams, and bush--all packed with animals.

We stayed three nights as part of a Gamewatchers Adventure Camp safari and weeks later, can't stop smiling.

All reviews
"local masai"
in 4 reviews
"wildlife viewing"
in 6 reviews
"an abundance of wildlife"
in 3 reviews
"including lions"
"the reserve"
"natural environment"

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is a great alternative to the Mara.
Far fewer flies.
Far fewer vans.
Yet lots of wildlife in a diverse landscape.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This was our first time to East Africa and our travel agent recommended staying in the private conservancies run by Porini/Gamewatchers rather than the National Reserve. It was a brilliant recommendation! We enjoyed the feeling of being alone with the animals and land. The Masai guides and drivers were excellent and so knowledgeable and the 'tent' experience at Porini Mara was just a delight from the excellent food to the first class service.
Compared to the game watching in the Reserve where vehicles are not allowed to go off track and the tracks are shared with dozens of other vehicles our stay in the Ol Kinyei Convervancy was a game watchers delight.
It was really good to see how management of the convervancy worked so well in conjunction with the local Masai.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Amazing animals everywhere and awesome food at the camp.Great staff and they look after you every minute :-)

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The very first time I travelled to Africa in 2010, I wasn’t aware of the difference between the conservancies and national reserve. I was terribly confused with all the camps within the Mara and all the various destinations in Kenya and Tanzania. Fortunately, I ended up booking my first trip with Porini camps and I limited my travel to masai mara. After my recent trip when I returned for the fifth time to the same place, same camp, I realized that how lucky I was to have found the best safari combination in Africa, the very first time.
After my first few days in Mara, I took it for granted that viewing lions, leopards, cheetahs all in one day within a few feets’ distance was the norm, until I spoke to other travellers that had travelled to other parts of Africa. Moreover, the most magical and essential ingredient to wild life viewing is being in a camp that is situated in the conservancies. As a first time safari tourist, the only frame of reference I had was the videos I had watched on National Geographic. The experience in the conservancies feels exactkt like that. There is no better way for me to describe it.
I love Ol Kinyei conservancy which has a resident lion pride and when you get to see them, there is not a single vehicle around since Porini camp is the exclusive camp in this conservancy. The feeling you get when you are viewing the animals in this scenic paradise is incomparable. This conservancy is one of my favorite places to visit. The main reason is you will get to see the savannah in every other part of mara but you will not see the kind of trees and bushes you see over here in any other part. There are acacia woodlands that are dense and tall trees and a white hill top that you can climb. Our first sundowner was on the look out hill, a spot where you can see the whole of Mara from a hill top. It was the most spectacular sunset and we only left when it got dark and we could hear the lions roaring. That is another advantage of the conservancy. If you are in the reserve, you have to end your game drive at 6 pm since the park closes but there is no such restriction in the conservancy. Once we watched a cheetah hunt the entire day and then had our sundowner next to the cheetah who was relaxing in the tall grass not more than two feet away. In the reserve the vehicles are not allowed to go off the road. I think this is the single most important factor that can make or break your trip. If you see a lion or any other animal, you cannot get too close, whereas in the conservancy we would literally go under bushes and alongside the river, to search for the big cats. There is nothing more exciting than to track and then find, the lions, leopards and cheetahs. A total national geographic kind of exciting feeling. That compared to the reserve where you are surrounded by not less than 10 to 15 minivans at any point in time spilling over with tourists, crowding around the animal, all the noise from people’s conversations and their cameras, clicking away. More like being at the local zoo. For me, the highlight of all the game drives is the night drive, which again can be done only in the conservancies. The feeling of the starry skies and seeing the animals awake and in their element at night is just unbeatable. I only stay at camps like Porini that are within conservancies and then maybe visit the national reserve for a day. A visit to Masai mara without a visit to Ol Kinyei and Olare orok conservancies is like visiting India without seeing the Taj Mahal.

5  Thank Renu D