“Safari for the Soul”
Review of Sala's Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Masai Mara National Reserve
Sala's Camp
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I absolutely loved this visit to Sala's! I've been back for 2 weeks and this longing I have to return is hard to shake. It's quite hard to describe but the tranquility, the wonder, the animals and, most of all, the people made our experience unforgettable.

The minute we stepped off the plane I could feel an energy and calm that was almost palpable. We were greeted by our guide Alex and spotter Maseck and drove through the plains for about 2 or 3 hours before we got to camp. My eyes could not see enough of what was around me; I felt like a child, overwhelmed with excitement. When we arrived at camp, there was Sissa and a few staff with cold cloths for our face and ice cold drinks. I felt like royalty.

Being a non-camper and bug phobic person, I was nervous but had already prepared myself for the challenge. Little did I know how luxurious and virtually bug free the camp was. We entered the mess tent and lounging area and I was completely blown away. Just across the Sand River ravine was a vast span of gorgeous trees and bush and, further beyond, a mountain range that almost looked fake because it was so perfectly set into the scenery.

We got to our tent, #3, and it was fantastic. Private bath, beautiful pedestal sink and comfy little table for our meals set in front for perfect viewing. There were hammocks and swinging chairs and even a big, four poster bed set in the grass just beside the main tent.

Our daily routine was up and out by 6:30 AM in the truck. Alex was an expert guide and took us to these remote areas where there were no other safari trucks. You could tell the bush is part of him. He and Maseck are a great team. I swear they have laser eyes. We'd stop and I'd be looking for something, only to miss that what they saw was a mile or 2 away. Simply amazing. I think we saw 1 or 2 other vehicles the whole 4 days we were there given that we were really off the beaten path of dirt roads. We saw so many amazing and beautiful animals and birds. And the TREES! OMG, the acacia, fig and "sausage" trees are so majestic. I just loved them.

Breakfast at the hippo pool was just crazy. We had fresh fruit and bred, yogurt and granola ... and then we were asked how we wanted our eggs and I said "ha, ha ... very funny Alex." He said, no really, how would you like your eggs. So he showed us the little burner that is attached to the back of the truck and my jaw dropped. So we had scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage with fresh, hot coffee each morning. Amazing.

We saw 4 of the big 5. The elusive rhino escaped us. Not surprising given I was told there are only about 45 or so in the Masai region of the Mara. Had I been there longer we would have found them, no doubt. If I had known when I booked this trip what I do now about safari, I would have stayed for far longer.

Hard to explain how the experience has effected me internally, at my core, but it has changed me. In a way that I have been very calm in a fast-paced work environment and things are just in perspective.

Big hugs and many thanks to Sissa, Sala's camp manager. She is an AMAZING young woman,worldy beyond her years with fantastic camp fire, story-telling skills. Her sense of humor is perfection and she knows how to make each guest feel like they're the only one there.

One last thing ... the food. A-MA-zing! Here we are in the middle of the brush and for dessert one night we had a gorgeous souffle. I am a bit of a food snob and I will tell you, this is 5 star cuisine. Thank you Moses for an amazing food experience as well.

Sala's should be on your agenda for sure. An astonishing experience awaits you.

Room Tip: Any of the tents will do.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank BettyRoxx

Reviewed 25 August 2011

This was our second trip to the Masai Mara and our first staying at Sala's camp. It is a secluded, intimate, and private camp well away from the hoards of tourists and 4 wheel drives and minibuses in the Mara in August. It's beautifully decorated and the food is wonderful .. we were very fortunate to stay in the Honeymoon tent, which was absolutely gorgeous! The wildlife just close by the camp is amazing .. and when you go out on a game drive, you feel like you have the whole area to yourself. It's right on the river in such a beautiful location. We had an elephant just outside our tent one morning and thousands and thousands of wilderbeest just on the other side of the river. The manager Sissa is wonderful and all the guides and spotters are excellent. We loved our four nights there and can't wait to go back again soon!

Room Tip: Try to book the honeymoon tent .. so spacious and beautifully decorated
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sekaitravelers
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We visited Sala's in early August and to our delight there was a "mega herd" of wildebeests and zeebras right at Sala's! Wonderful being amongst the animals during the great migration and had a wonderful guide/driver, Alex, as well.

The camp consist of 7 tents all set up along a line from the the mess or dining tent along the river bank number 1 being the closes to the mess tent and number 7, a family tent, being the furthest away.

Each tent is ensuite and have comfortable beds along with the other useful tented furnitures. You can feel the uneven grounds underneath the canvas floor walking around the tent and you know that these tents are the real thing not a pretended tent like in other camps. Hot water is provided, or turn on, 2 times a day but if you want it when it's off all you have to do is to let them know. Our tent, no. 6, fronted the Talex River and there are swing beds and chairs set up on the trees right by our tents.

Each evening there is a roaring fireplace by the mess tent where guests are welcome for drinks and socialize with other guests. Dinner is normally around 7.30 - 8.00PM and you can either dine in the communal table or have your own private table if you wishes. Food was pretty good and the wine selection was OK.

The game drive vehicles are Toyota Land Cruisers with an open top and are very comfortable. Each have a cooler inside where cold water, soft drinks and beers are kept. If you want a pack lunch can be taken with you on game drives and the guide and spotter will setup a nice table at an appropriate location for dining amongst the wild animals. If you are a photographers the camp will provide you with bean bags for your cameras. No electricity but there is a charging station by the mess tent where you can charge your electronics.

Only one negative about this camp and that was the late pickup at Keekorok airstrip. Not really Sala's fault and the blame rested on Timimi, the company that owns the Sala's and other camps/hotels in Kenya. Apparently the wrong information was given to Sala's about our arrival time and no one showed up! The guides from the other camps quickly helped us out and got Sala's to pick us up within a few minutes.

Highly recommended and i would like to suggest staying at Sala's Camp plus another camp in another corner of the Masai Mara national park as the perfect safari during the great migration.

Room Tip: If you want total privacy then ask for tent 7
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Pooky_TH
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We spend many holidays in the bush, and I have to say Sala's camp did not disappoint us. The camp is a temporary camp and has to be packed away at the end of the season. You would never know this, as the tents have ensuite bathrooms with flushing toilets, hot showers on request and good lighting for reading at night. Your laundry is taken away in the morning and by the time you go to bed it is back ironed in your cupboard at no extra charge! The food is delicious and probably too plentiful! The location is superb right on the sand river, tucked away so you feel like you are the only people in the Mara. The camp is small - 14 guests in total which is a big advantage. The staff were always on hand and very friendly.
Our game viewing experiences were exceptional, we were privilidged to watch the first wave of the 2011 Migration come thorough the Eastern corridor all to ourselves, a life time experience.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wandaJohannesburg
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Sala's Camp is small, intimate and private ... all qualities that are prized in such a busy game park that is criss-crossed by game viewing vehicles packed with tourists all day. I love the camp's setting, tucked away out of sight in the riverine bush on the banks of a sandy river, which attracts wonderful birdlife and plenty of animals. The camp accommodates just 14 guests when full, and the spacious tents are secluded and comfortable. Think double beds of the most wondrous downy comfort. An afternoon nap is a must! The food was good, especially considering that it mostly comes from Nairobi, several hundred miles away. It goes without saying that the Mara is fabulous game viewing country, and you can go out in the vehicles twice a day for bush breakfasts and sundowners. The daily round of meals and drives could get tedious after a few days, especially if you're the action-hungry sort, but if you love African wildlife and you're keen to relax and be looked after very well, then give Sala's a go!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank lionelfaull
Reviewed 23 December 2010

I spent 2 nights/3 days at Sala's with my 3 daughters. It was an outstanding pre-christmas experience. The manager is a lovely young lady, the staff is really helpful, the location is fabulous, the food is great, the tents are beautifully decorated and quite comfy, considering you are in the middle of nowhere. We had a jeep for ourselves for 2 days and a knowledgeable guide + masai spotter who were so caring with my little one. It's not cheap, but I would definitely recommend it over any lodge. And we saw so many animals, much more than in South Africa.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 November 2010

We had the pleasure of staying at Sala's Camp at the end of September for three nights. What a delight. The camp manager and all of her staff went out of their way to make our stay an experience of a lifetime. Our guide Matthew and our tracker Oly found us animal sightings that we will never forget and was not matched in the remainder of our 19-day safari. We saw lions, leopards, elephants, giraffe, wildebeest, zebras, antelopes, etc. every day. We mentioned that we wanted to see a migration crossing and cheetahs and they made that happen. It was wonderful.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple