“Trip of a Lifetime”

Mara Eden Safari Camp
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Having never been on safari before, I came to TripAdvisor for help. So with much anticipation and trepidation, I embarked on this journey to Africa as a solo female traveler. Whilst on the plane to Nairobi, I wondered what lied ahead, considering I based my decisions about this trip mostly on the reviews here.

The magic started when I got off Air Kenya's twin otter plane and got whisked off to a 2-hour safari by my Masai driver. I was very lucky to be the only person on the safari vehicle during my entire stay and I was treated like a queen. On the way to the camp, I saw hundreds of wildebeests, zebras, warthogs, gazelles, giraffes... it felt like I entered a whole new world.

The camp itself was small and intimate and the owners Jay and Munir always took their time to have a chat with the guests. The tent was clean, there is hot and cold shower, flushing toilet and hot bottle to help ward off cold nights. The camp is not fenced so there are hippos and buffalos climbing out of the river at night to graze in the area. One night, I was awakened by what seemed to be a sound of an animal grazing. I was told next day it was, in fact, a buffalo. The constant snorting, howling, grunting, and calling of animals at night were both nerve-racking and amazing at the same time. I felt safe and secure the whole time and guests are always escorted back to their tents at night. There is also a whistle near the bed for whenever you feel the need to use it. The food was excellent considering the challenge that their location poses. It certainly did not feel as if I was roughing it out in the wild.

The real stars on this trip are Jay and Munir along with their entire team. They are both committed to service and quality without compromising on the environment . Nothing was too much trouble for them. Worth mentioning is Bernard, my Masai guide, who took all the pains just so I could take all the photos that I wanted. His knowledge of the animals and the Mara was encyclopedic and had a very effective "intelligence network" with other guides scouring the area and reporting in. I even managed to see all the Big Five in one day. I also had my National Geographic moment when I witnessed the crossing at Mara River.

This was indeed an epic holiday for me, if not life-changing. Jay was right, there is a very high likelihood that you could get bitten by Africa bug. Asante sana. I WILL BE BACK.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank carmenpandan
There are newer reviews for Mara Eden Safari Camp

Reviewed 9 August 2013

We arrived there with the tour group after a really looooong day in the van. We were full of dust and we were welcomed with drinks and a towel.... it was really an oasis! The staff is super friendly and the first evening we had dinner outside which was lovely and the cuisine was simply amazing, like sitting on a fine restaurant in any big city.

The tents are super comfortable, and each one has an amazing view. The place is rather small so you have a lot of privacy. There are niceties and details here and there so you feel at home.
If you need a wake up call they do so by bringing coffee/tea directly to your tent balcony!

The owner looks after you the entire time and they make you feel like you are in a 5 stars hotel. We all agreed that this was the best place we stayed at by far!!!!

If you go to the Mara, stay there and you will simply love it!

2  Thank Clauz_y_Marian
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Munir and Janine recently organized our wedding at Mara Eden Safari Camp. And it was literally real eden. We mainly appreciated their personal attitude and feeling what we wanted. It was a simple wedding, as we wished, in the middle of breathtaking wilderness and with a lot of animals. It was exactly what we have read here in reviews from other visitors. Perfectly clean, beautifully decorated, experienced and attentive staff... Accomodation was exclusive and food more than amazing. Furthermore, to our astonishment Munir cooked for us special wedding dinner. Thank you both for such an extraordinary experience. We wholeheartedly recommend Mara Eden Safari Camp!!!

2  Thank LucyyS
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We loved every part of our stay at this accomodation...two nights just wasnt enough! Perfect welcome experience to the camp with through briefing, welcome drink and cold towel. So many lovely touches including hot water bottles, tasty meals, tent decorations etc. Wonderful staff with lots of advice and time to chat about your plans/adventures.

We would highly recommend this accomdation for comfort, service and close proximity to Masai Mara.

1  Thank Caitlinaleelee
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Maasai Mara experience is a lifetime one. But this experience would have been far inferior without this camp. The atmosphere completes the experience. You feel that you are part of the Mara living in a tent and dining outdoor. Amazingly, this doesn't compromise at all the luxurious service. We were treated a royal treatment. The owners gave us a personal attention every minute. But the best thing is that we were treated as real friends. We felt that we know Jane and Mouneer all our lives and not only the 3 days that we stayed there. Finally, food was great. Definitely, the camp exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Hassan S
Reviewed 5 July 2013

When my husband and I walked into our tent upon arriving at Mara Eden Safari Camp, I turned to him and said, "This simply feels like a fantasy come true!" I was so impressed with the incredible experience we had while with Jay and Munir, our hosts, that I really don't have words to express it. The camp was beautiful, nestled on the edge of the Mara, the staff was so professional, the food was delicious, and the accomodations couldn't be better. All the special touches added by Jay made me not want to leave! I would highly recommend this camp to everyone who comes to Kenya!

Room Tip: We stayed in Tent No. 10, which was at the end of the line away from the main dining area. We enjoye...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jo Heather D
Reviewed 2 July 2013

This was our third time to masai mara and we spent a lot of time doing our research on which property to stay at since we were already familiar with mara. I am so glad that we chose mara eden. The highlight of this camp are the owners, Jay and Munir, who will not hesesitate at anything to make your experience great. The tents are clean and the beds are so cozy that we would crawl and in and not want to get out. Our tent faced the Talek river and the river was dry when we went. It still was beautiful since we saw footprints of lions and elephants that had walked across at night. It was an exciting feeling. We saw lions and hyenas within minutes of heading out of the camp and at night it was so lovely to sleep in and listen to their night sounds. The FOOD IS INCREDIBLE!!!! I could not stop raving about it. If you care about food please go here. It was always fresh and flavorful. The chef baked fresh bread for every meal that was just yummy. We always ate out in the open on picnic tables which was a great feeling. I dont eat white and red meat so the owners actually flew in some fish specially for me. Paul is very warm and welcoming and the service is excellent. The part I loved the most is the owners dont try to force you into a schedule like other camps do. They work around your likes and dislikes and make the experience unique and special for you. I cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: All tents have a great view since they all border the river.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple