“Amazing experience”

Mara Eden Safari Camp
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I didn't know what to expect when headed to a safari "camp" in Kenya in the maasai mara national reserve. What greeted my fiance and I were lavish and extremely comfortable accommodations. The "tent" we stayed in had a wonderful little deck we could sit out on and a very spacious and luxurious room. I was ecstatic to find our own private en suite bathroom complete with plumbing and hot water. The shower experience was amazing and felt like you were showing in the outdoors. The service was impeccable and the food absolutely amazing. I am not a picky eater but the chef would easily accommodate and special requests. they hosted a campfire at night and local tribal people came and put on an entertaining display of dancing. the whole experience was amazing and instead of being in the middle of a national reserve at a camp, we felt as if we were at a 5 star resort. This place is a must visit!!!! we hope we can make it back there one day!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank trojanhky1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We arrived at the camp to be warmly greeted by Munir and his wife Jay, the managers of the resort. Their passion for the camp & their guest's experience is truly shown in their attention to detail & 'nothing's too much trouble' attitude. My wife arrived feeling slightly under the weather, a typical English summer cold, & Jay went out of her way to provide necessary medication.
Having been on several safari holidays, this trip tops them by far. Last year we visited Kicheche Mara Camp which we enjoyed, but the Mara Eden has the edge & was even less expensive than some of the other camps. The view from our tent was spectacular, the river lines the camp where several hippos & crocodiles were splashing about. There are around a dozen tents so the camp is nice & cosy & not over crowded.
On return from our safari, a superb spread would be laid out. One night we ate by the river which was a treat! The quality of food didn't stop here though, everyday a tasty packed lunch was prepared to help us through the day.
On the last day of our trip, I finally managed to shoot The Big 5. Jay is a qualified ranger, & the driver & guides are top of their league. They are unstoppable and always went out of their way to track something different everyday.
All in all we had a fantastic holiday & have booked already for next year.
I can't recommend the Mara Eden Camp enough!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Scott1980Suzanne
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Having never been on safari before, I came to TripAdvisor for help. So with much anticipation and trepidation, I embarked on this journey to Africa as a solo female traveler. Whilst on the plane to Nairobi, I wondered what lied ahead, considering I based my decisions about this trip mostly on the reviews here.

The magic started when I got off Air Kenya's twin otter plane and got whisked off to a 2-hour safari by my Masai driver. I was very lucky to be the only person on the safari vehicle during my entire stay and I was treated like a queen. On the way to the camp, I saw hundreds of wildebeests, zebras, warthogs, gazelles, giraffes... it felt like I entered a whole new world.

The camp itself was small and intimate and the owners Jay and Munir always took their time to have a chat with the guests. The tent was clean, there is hot and cold shower, flushing toilet and hot bottle to help ward off cold nights. The camp is not fenced so there are hippos and buffalos climbing out of the river at night to graze in the area. One night, I was awakened by what seemed to be a sound of an animal grazing. I was told next day it was, in fact, a buffalo. The constant snorting, howling, grunting, and calling of animals at night were both nerve-racking and amazing at the same time. I felt safe and secure the whole time and guests are always escorted back to their tents at night. There is also a whistle near the bed for whenever you feel the need to use it. The food was excellent considering the challenge that their location poses. It certainly did not feel as if I was roughing it out in the wild.

The real stars on this trip are Jay and Munir along with their entire team. They are both committed to service and quality without compromising on the environment . Nothing was too much trouble for them. Worth mentioning is Bernard, my Masai guide, who took all the pains just so I could take all the photos that I wanted. His knowledge of the animals and the Mara was encyclopedic and had a very effective "intelligence network" with other guides scouring the area and reporting in. I even managed to see all the Big Five in one day. I also had my National Geographic moment when I witnessed the crossing at Mara River.

This was indeed an epic holiday for me, if not life-changing. Jay was right, there is a very high likelihood that you could get bitten by Africa bug. Asante sana. I WILL BE BACK.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank carmenpandan
Miramar, Argentina
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We arrived there with the tour group after a really looooong day in the van. We were full of dust and we were welcomed with drinks and a towel.... it was really an oasis! The staff is super friendly and the first evening we had dinner outside which was lovely and the cuisine was simply amazing, like sitting on a fine restaurant in any big city.

The tents are super comfortable, and each one has an amazing view. The place is rather small so you have a lot of privacy. There are niceties and details here and there so you feel at home.
If you need a wake up call they do so by bringing coffee/tea directly to your tent balcony!

The owner looks after you the entire time and they make you feel like you are in a 5 stars hotel. We all agreed that this was the best place we stayed at by far!!!!

If you go to the Mara, stay there and you will simply love it!

2 Thank Clauz_y_Marian
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Munir and Janine recently organized our wedding at Mara Eden Safari Camp. And it was literally real eden. We mainly appreciated their personal attitude and feeling what we wanted. It was a simple wedding, as we wished, in the middle of breathtaking wilderness and with a lot of animals. It was exactly what we have read here in reviews from other visitors. Perfectly clean, beautifully decorated, experienced and attentive staff... Accomodation was exclusive and food more than amazing. Furthermore, to our astonishment Munir cooked for us special wedding dinner. Thank you both for such an extraordinary experience. We wholeheartedly recommend Mara Eden Safari Camp!!!

2 Thank LucyyS
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We loved every part of our stay at this accomodation...two nights just wasnt enough! Perfect welcome experience to the camp with through briefing, welcome drink and cold towel. So many lovely touches including hot water bottles, tasty meals, tent decorations etc. Wonderful staff with lots of advice and time to chat about your plans/adventures.

We would highly recommend this accomdation for comfort, service and close proximity to Masai Mara.

1 Thank Caitlinaleelee
Cairo
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Maasai Mara experience is a lifetime one. But this experience would have been far inferior without this camp. The atmosphere completes the experience. You feel that you are part of the Mara living in a tent and dining outdoor. Amazingly, this doesn't compromise at all the luxurious service. We were treated a royal treatment. The owners gave us a personal attention every minute. But the best thing is that we were treated as real friends. We felt that we know Jane and Mouneer all our lives and not only the 3 days that we stayed there. Finally, food was great. Definitely, the camp exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family