“An inspiring place”

Mara Eden Safari Camp
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Highly recommended
The place is stunning with is wild beauty
Staff takes care of large and small details equally
Delicious food
And endless treats
Lodge is located in the best area ,excellent for those looking for a quick and easy enter to the reserve.
The guides are members of the Masai tribe
So they know every corner
Totally recommended!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MOMOran

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Just back from the most wonderful week long safari with Amack Adventure Travel culminating in a 2 night stay at Mara Eden which was our favourite stop by far.
Munir and Jeneane are the perfect hosts and seem to have the ability to make everyone feel just that little bit special and important to them.
Their camp is perfectly situated overlooking the river with views over the Mara Plains and has the real 'back to nature' bush experience feel. A walkway bridge takes you directly across into the reserve itself and our waiting vehicle so that our game drive started immediately every time.
The chef catered with our vegetarian diets admirably and even managed a perfect cheese souffle, something we struggle with at home, let alone in the bush!
Our driver Charles was amazing and found us the 'big five' in one day whilst managing to keep us away from the bulk of tourists vehicles so that on one day when we went on an all day game drive we had lunch in the bush without seeing any other vehicles at all.
Staff in the camp are all very friendly and our room steward 'Sam' was exceptionally cheerful and helpful without being intrusive. At no time did we feel that the staff were hanging around for tips as we experienced at other places, which was very nice as that always makes us feel that little bit uncomfortable. Instead there is a tip box by the bar which is shared by all the staff.
The tents are more than adequately appointed with comfortable beds, hot water for showers and beautiful fluffy bathrobes to relax into. Everything you could want for is right there, but you get the feeling that if you wanted anything else at all, nothing is too much trouble.
Our lasting memory will be sitting around the campfire watching a beetroot sky as the sun set, whilst enjoying a cold glass of wine and listening to the night chorus of animal noises as the night descends and the lions awake and start to roar and the hyenas laugh.
Soooo hope to return next year as have found my personal Heaven on Earth.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rich391
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Just back from my second trip to Mara Eden, this time in the 'high season' with a full camp. I had hoped and expected to say that it was equally good as my last visit and it's hard to believe, but it was even better if that is possible !
Once again the attention to detail was very evident, even though every tent was full, standards hadn't slipped at all.
Additionally my request for the same tent I had last time (tent 6 ) was met, and although I arrived very late in the afternoon they remembered I am a chocoholic and had already prepared as a dessert for my first supper a fantastic chocolate mousse which I had said how much I had liked last time I was there.
Also, and I have no idea how they knew, but it was my birthday when I was there and they produced a superb birthday cake and presented it with all the staff singing and dancing as they brought it to my table complete with candles and beautiful icing.

I was also fortunate to have a top driver guide, Charles who managed to find me the Big Five in the three nights I was there, along with an excellent river crossing, whilst all the time keeping away from the bulk of the tourist crowds and with his vehicle radio off !
Charles also commented that he is always very happy when he has clients staying at Mara Eden as on the days when a packed lunch is provided he finds their food much better than almost all the other camps he visits. Think that says a lot really as if your driver is happy then everyone is.

My sincere thanks to Munir and Jay for giving me a great time once again.
Off to save up for the next trip now......

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank canary111
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I didn't know what to expect when headed to a safari "camp" in Kenya in the maasai mara national reserve. What greeted my fiance and I were lavish and extremely comfortable accommodations. The "tent" we stayed in had a wonderful little deck we could sit out on and a very spacious and luxurious room. I was ecstatic to find our own private en suite bathroom complete with plumbing and hot water. The shower experience was amazing and felt like you were showing in the outdoors. The service was impeccable and the food absolutely amazing. I am not a picky eater but the chef would easily accommodate and special requests. they hosted a campfire at night and local tribal people came and put on an entertaining display of dancing. the whole experience was amazing and instead of being in the middle of a national reserve at a camp, we felt as if we were at a 5 star resort. This place is a must visit!!!! we hope we can make it back there one day!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank trojanhky1
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We arrived at the camp to be warmly greeted by Munir and his wife Jay, the managers of the resort. Their passion for the camp & their guest's experience is truly shown in their attention to detail & 'nothing's too much trouble' attitude. My wife arrived feeling slightly under the weather, a typical English summer cold, & Jay went out of her way to provide necessary medication.
Having been on several safari holidays, this trip tops them by far. Last year we visited Kicheche Mara Camp which we enjoyed, but the Mara Eden has the edge & was even less expensive than some of the other camps. The view from our tent was spectacular, the river lines the camp where several hippos & crocodiles were splashing about. There are around a dozen tents so the camp is nice & cosy & not over crowded.
On return from our safari, a superb spread would be laid out. One night we ate by the river which was a treat! The quality of food didn't stop here though, everyday a tasty packed lunch was prepared to help us through the day.
On the last day of our trip, I finally managed to shoot The Big 5. Jay is a qualified ranger, & the driver & guides are top of their league. They are unstoppable and always went out of their way to track something different everyday.
All in all we had a fantastic holiday & have booked already for next year.
I can't recommend the Mara Eden Camp enough!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Scott1980Suzanne
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Having never been on safari before, I came to TripAdvisor for help. So with much anticipation and trepidation, I embarked on this journey to Africa as a solo female traveler. Whilst on the plane to Nairobi, I wondered what lied ahead, considering I based my decisions about this trip mostly on the reviews here.

The magic started when I got off Air Kenya's twin otter plane and got whisked off to a 2-hour safari by my Masai driver. I was very lucky to be the only person on the safari vehicle during my entire stay and I was treated like a queen. On the way to the camp, I saw hundreds of wildebeests, zebras, warthogs, gazelles, giraffes... it felt like I entered a whole new world.

The camp itself was small and intimate and the owners Jay and Munir always took their time to have a chat with the guests. The tent was clean, there is hot and cold shower, flushing toilet and hot bottle to help ward off cold nights. The camp is not fenced so there are hippos and buffalos climbing out of the river at night to graze in the area. One night, I was awakened by what seemed to be a sound of an animal grazing. I was told next day it was, in fact, a buffalo. The constant snorting, howling, grunting, and calling of animals at night were both nerve-racking and amazing at the same time. I felt safe and secure the whole time and guests are always escorted back to their tents at night. There is also a whistle near the bed for whenever you feel the need to use it. The food was excellent considering the challenge that their location poses. It certainly did not feel as if I was roughing it out in the wild.

The real stars on this trip are Jay and Munir along with their entire team. They are both committed to service and quality without compromising on the environment . Nothing was too much trouble for them. Worth mentioning is Bernard, my Masai guide, who took all the pains just so I could take all the photos that I wanted. His knowledge of the animals and the Mara was encyclopedic and had a very effective "intelligence network" with other guides scouring the area and reporting in. I even managed to see all the Big Five in one day. I also had my National Geographic moment when I witnessed the crossing at Mara River.

This was indeed an epic holiday for me, if not life-changing. Jay was right, there is a very high likelihood that you could get bitten by Africa bug. Asante sana. I WILL BE BACK.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank carmenpandan
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We arrived there with the tour group after a really looooong day in the van. We were full of dust and we were welcomed with drinks and a towel.... it was really an oasis! The staff is super friendly and the first evening we had dinner outside which was lovely and the cuisine was simply amazing, like sitting on a fine restaurant in any big city.

The tents are super comfortable, and each one has an amazing view. The place is rather small so you have a lot of privacy. There are niceties and details here and there so you feel at home.
If you need a wake up call they do so by bringing coffee/tea directly to your tent balcony!

The owner looks after you the entire time and they make you feel like you are in a 5 stars hotel. We all agreed that this was the best place we stayed at by far!!!!

If you go to the Mara, stay there and you will simply love it!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple