“Holy Cow!”

Neptune Mara Rianta Luxury Camp
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My friend had suggested this place to my wife and I for a weekend trip and man, was it excellent,

Driving from Nairobi is an adventure to say the least. The roads begin to get rough about 50km from the camp but as you get closer you drive through herds of wildebeest and zebra and the landscape is postcard material.

The camp is beautiful, well designed and very well maintained. The luxury tents are perfect for a restful adventure with comfortable beds and lovely breeze. Showers deserve special mention for overlooking the Mara River.

Staff were very friendly and courteous and service was very good and cooperative.

The food menu was diverse and satisfying. Drinks were also refreshing and evening bar specials also deserve special mention. Lunch was served outside in the lawns overlooking the Mara River full of hippos.

We saw tonnes of animals during the game drives and it really helped that the vehicles are allowed to go off the paths. David, our guide was extremely knowledgeable and fun. But despite all our searching we never saw the elusive leopard.

Rest assured, we need to find a leopard, and we're coming back to Rianta to find one!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Viroop

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We went to Exploreans over the weekend from Nairobi and spent two nights there. It was awesome! Luxury tents that are overlooking the river! The decor of the tents is outstanding with an open shower! Generally you feel like you have all the luxuries in the middle of the bush! It has it's charm of being in the middle of nowhere but when you get there you have more than what you could ever expect! Food was amazing! The service is impeccable with all the staff being so professional and always smiling and asking if we needed anything. Game drives were a great experience in open land cruisers. We saw virtually lions on every game drive. My husband saw two cheetahs as well! There is a lot of game and you are guaranteed to see everything here. Then on the last day they surprised us with a bush breakfast by the mara river! Outstanding service and truly luxurious place to be in the Mara! Would highly recommend this place to anybody! I would love to visit again!

Room Tip: Our tents were 11 and 12 and they were right infront of the mara river. Very noisy hippos though!
3  Thank minal128_4
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed at camp # 7 and 8 with my wife and 2 kids 12 and 16years of age on March 19 and 20, 2014.
What can I say... this is the ultimate in top class luxury and service I have ever experienced in my life. Having stayed at numerous 5 star safari camps in Tanzania and South Africa, the Exploreans Mara Rianta beats them all.
Actual camps are oversized by any standard with top notch butler service 24hrs a day, amazing views of tens of Hippos in the Mara river from any camp during day and night. Exquisite food quality and presentation at every meal period during our stay .
I would highly recommend Daniel our Driver with his phenomenal game knowledge, our Butler Daniel for his smile, Alfred our server for being so professional, Jane the front office staff and the Camp Manager Anne Marie for being on top of her staff every single day.
This camp is by far a 5 star plus by any standards!

Room Tip: All rooms face the Mara river and have a great view.
1  Thank Latif068
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My family and I just spent an AMAZING two nights at the Exploreans Mara Rianta Camp. I love finding out about properties like this on TripAdvisor - new gems that have yet to be discovered by the masses, but are on the cusp of superstardom. Our tents (#7 and #9) were beautifully appointed and spacious. The thoughtful attention to detail is evident throughout - from the crisp, cool white sheets to the turn-down service at night, with chocolates and a tiny gift left on your pillow (and a hot water-bottle under the covers!). The food was fresh and prepared with care - the chef went out of his way to accommodate our vegetarian diets and made us wonderful Indian food. We noticed he paid the same courtesy to all the tables at lunch, walking around and speaking with the patrons about their dietary preferences and any special requests for dinner. It's obvious he (and the rest of the outstanding staff) are 100% invested in making sure you enjoy every aspect of your stay. The game drives are, of course, a highlight, and I can't sing the praises of Jackson loud or long enough. HE IS A KEEPER! A delightful, passionate, and engaging guide to everything the Mara has to offer. An easy laugh and an even easier smile - he was exactly the kind of person you want to see at 6 am for a game drive; his enthusiasm was infectious. One note: the park fee you pay is per night (not per day), so even if you only book a two-night stay, you'll get four game rides (one the day you arrive; two the next; and one the last morning (assuming your flight isn't before 10 am)). I was a little confused about how the conservancy fee worked, so hopefully that helps clear it up if you are too. Finally, a very special thanks to the assistant manager. I'm sorry to say I forgot his name, but he's a taller gentlemen, and was the epitome of hospitality, warmth and graciousness. He organized to-go lunches for us on our final day at camp because we didn't have time to eat before our flight and went out of his way to make sure our stay was exceptional.

Thanks again to everyone for one of the best vacations I've ever had!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

My family and I stayed at the Exploreans for four nights in February 2014 and were very pleased.

Accommodations: Our tent (#13) is probably like the rest of them and was very comfortable with modern amenities, yet rustic and fit well into the safari scene. Comfortable beds (our two children were with us, ages 8 and 5) for all, hot shower that opens to the outdoors and the free wireless from the main lodge even reached our tent which was nice. We were awakened (at our request) each morning at 5:45am by Mr. Peter who brought us warm coffee, tea and hot chocolates, along with some cakes. Oh, and a bottle of port wine is available at all times as well in the room. And yes, as the description says, the hippos are just outside and easy to hear. Main building and pool area are open and very comfortable. Our kids swam twice in the pool while there and the hippos "sung" along from the river below. Mr. Stephen was always ready with a great smile and a glass of wine at the bar for me which was very much appreciated. We saw elephants and giraffes appear on the other side of the river during our stay as well.

Food: We found it amazing that an a la carte menu is offered for each meal. I mean, how lucky we were to have choices when sitting in the middle of the bush!? The food was very good and plentiful, and the service by Mr. Stanley and his colleagues was impeccable and always with a warm Kenyan smile. Breakfast and dinner are served in the restaurant area while lunch is served out in the grass veranda (shaded) overlooking the river.

Safari: Certainly the reason most everyone visits the hotel. There are two offered per day, one at 6:30am and the other at 4pm, each lasting around 2.5 hours. Our driver, Mr. Jackson, was an outstanding and knowledgeable guide. After all, he grew up just over the hill in the distance from where we were driving. He was interested in us as a family and was particularly nice to both of our kids, endearing himself to them. We saw four of the Big 5 (rhinos do not live in the conservancy, only in the national park next door). We saw elephants and lions on virtually every drive (watched three lions one morning just miss a kill) and the largest group of elephants at one time was 55. We saw loads of zebras, impala, gazelle, wildebeest, ostrich, birds, wart hogs, mongoose, baboons... in numbers too large to count. We ran across giraffes virtually ever day in numbers ranging from two to six. And finally, the elusive leopard was found relaxing under a tree with her very, very recent kill one morning. We went back to him later that day to get an update (yes, Jackson knew exactly how to find the exact tree under which he was lying) and just as we arrived, so did the hyenas to steal her kill. It was a free-for-all and the poor leopard could only watch as they literally tore the antelope limb from limb. My kids were totally into it, as was I. We got great photos and enjoyed the various terrain in the conservancy. And the educational impact for our kids was tremendous. Be sure to get up each morning and go on the game drive, you can take a nap during the day.

Spa: My wife and I each enjoyed two massages with Ms. Rose and Ms. Ruth. My wife and daughter also had pedicures done. High quality massages and I'm sure the nails were good too for them, and the two ladies were very nice and professional.

Staff: It's clear that Anne Marie runs an outstanding team and takes the time to visit with each family/group during their stay. She is knowledgeable about the area and animals, and works hard to make sure everything was just to our satisfaction. She was always available during the day and typically met us at the end of each game drive to welcome us back to the resort. She also visited each table at dinner to hear about our day and make sure we had everything we needed.

Overall: We already have aspirations to return for the Great Migration (July - September) and have suggested to multiple family and friends via email that they should take advantage of this outstanding opportunity. I have told my wife that I'd like to bring my son back with another few dads/sons for a guys trip as I think it would be an amazing experience for all. If you're on the fence, get over it now and get on a plane, you will not be disappointed that you have chosen Exploreans.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank DavidAusTex
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed for a 2 night safari in December 2013, and what an experience, the rooms were exceptional, spotlessly clean, and very large. Masses of Hot water for that soak in the free standing bath after your game drives. The butler brings you a tea tray at 6am to ensure you get off to a good start, then on return from your drive you are greeted with wet towels to freshen up and an amazing breakfast. Wonderful, wonderful experience. The Hippo's laze around in the river all day, we also had a huge crocodile on the opposite bank basking in the sunshine.
The meals were well cooked, beautifully presented and very tasty, staff are friendly and knowledgeable in the animal behaviour, and on game drives we saw a pride of 29 lions that came so close to the jeep you could have reached out and touched them. This was my first game safari, and although we stayed in Kenya for 1 month we had intended to go on another game safari in a different area, but after staying here we were just so blown away with the facilities that we didn't feel we wanted to visit another camp.

Room Tip: All rooms have a wonderful view over the river, we were in room 19 with the croc on opposite bank.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The staff, food and accommodations were exceptional. My family and I spent three nights here and we were reluctant to leave.
After every game drive we were met at the entrance with wet napkins to rinse ourselves of after the dusty drive. This is just one example of the excellent service we received.
Special mentions definitely go out to Anne Mary the hotel manager. She was always smiling and ready to chat to us. Her presence was ever constant, ready to help you personally with everything.
Definitely a home away from home.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family