“Magical place!”

Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
“Magical place!”
Reviewed 2 May 2013

My parents and I stayed two nights at the Olare Lodge. I have nothing but positive things to say about our experience. It is truely a wonderful place, beautiful lodge, amazing food and above all, awesome staff. Thanks to all the team for such a memorable journey in the Masai Mara!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
BernardMercier, General Manager at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your post on your stay at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay.
Look forward to having you back with us in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I had a short trip to the Mara staying for only two nights. We landed and straight away saw olive (a leopard) and her cub in a tree with an impala hanging off the branch and a pride of lions with very small cubs. We got to the lodge around noon when I was surprised as to how beautiful the lodge was. It was very open and designed very well. The lounge are was very comfortable with a great view of the river. There was a second lounge area where one had an amazing view of the plains.
I had gone in a group of thirty and to cater for such a large group can be tricky. There was a large variety of food which all tasted wonderful. I was escorted to my room by one of the staff who then showed me my room and explained all the features. I was truly stunned! The design of the tents was amazing!!! You could open one part of the tent which would then become a massive balcony. There was an outdoors shower, which was an amazing experience.
The following day, we left the camp at 6:15 to first go find leopards. Unfortunately we didn't see any but we did come across a lioness and 4 two month old cubs. It was an amazing spot by the drivers. That's one thing I must comment on, the drivers were amazing, they had an amazing eye and were very friendly. We then had a bush breakfast, after which we went into the Mara national park to look for some cheetahs. We spotted the cheetahs at around 12 and stuck with them till around 4 hoping they would hunt. All this time the drivers did not get impatient and say let's go back to the lodge as do so many drivers from other lodges. We had no lunch and fed snacks that were provided. We eventually got to the lodge at 7, more than a 12 hour game drive. Some of us wanted to go for a night game drive and you didn't see any of the drivers complaining.
We had dinner, which again was superb. The service was also tremendous. The cars were also well kitted out with sockets, allowing us to charge our cameras no phones during the game drive. Something I haven't seen anywhere else.

One thing I would say was that the roofs of the cars should be easier to take off and put back on.

All in all, an amazing trip and I cannot wait to go back soon.

Room Tip: They are all amazing rooms. If u want a plunge pool go for room 12
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
BernardMercier, General Manager at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comprehensive review on Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara.
Delighted to hear that your safari was extremely adventurous from the onset, and you were happy with the your overall stay at the resort.
Moscow
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Very good camp - great service and food, perfect interior. Staff seems to be lacking expeirience sometimes, but definitely trying hard to improve.
Personal thanks to the manager and rangers - they do remarkable job.
Great safaris - we were very lucky to see many beautiful animals (including big five) and rare situations of wild life.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara.
Happy to hear that you had a pleasant journey to the Masai Mara and were happy with the service, food and interiors of the property.
Our colleagues in the Mara are constantly undergoing various trainings to ensure our guests receive the very best of hospitality at the property.
Look forward to having you back at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara.
Foster City
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Excellent Customer Service!
Personalized service.
Great food!
Geoffery - the Manager is brilliant! Catered to our every whim!
I was only scared the first night because the tents are fenceless and I was scared but apart from that, the 2 days we spent there were a vacation like no other.
The whole experince was just brilliant!
GO FOR IT!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
BernardMercier, General Manager at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your post on your stay at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara. Happy to hear that you had a memorable journey to the Mara. Look forward to having you with us once again in the near future.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 5 April 2013

This was a short but really awesome trip to the Masai Mara while visiting a friend in Nairobi.

My stay at the Olare Mara Kempinski was perfect from the time of landing until my departure.

Philip picked me up and drove me very gently to the lodge, where I could already see a lot of wildlife thanks to him, since he was pointing it out to me. But also herds of giraffes and gazelles greeted me on the way.
The greeting of the Masai at the entrance makes the arrival extremely special and Dominic, Geoffrey and Rahel made me feel instantly welcome.
The rooms, although tents, are impeccably clean and leave nothing to wish for, the terrace is spacious and just made to feel comfortable. The beds are extremely comfy and guarantee for a heavenly sleep after a day in the bush
While I was having a quick lunch, which was just prepared according to my preferences, Bernard came to introduce himself as the driver who would take me for the game drive. He is very knowledgable, keeps pointing out everything on the way (special thanks to that because apparently my eyesight is not made for the bush) and makes sure that his guests feel comfortable at all times. If possible he makes sure that everyone gets to see their favorites, too. The fact that it rained during the drive did not matter at all - if anything, it added to the atmosphere.
The guards in the lodge make sure that guests feel safe at all times, especially when they walk you from your tent to the main building and back, always with a friendly attitude.
Santosh (Sous Chef) and Julias (Service) made the dinner a real experience. From the Aperitif down to the last glass of wine. The food was delicious and prepared with love to detail, and Julias made sure that everybody, no matter what language they spoke, felt comfortable.
After a friendly wake-up call it was time for the morning game drive and when I reached the main building my tea, I ordered the day before, was already waiting for me and also Bernard was good to go.

After another great experience with loads of animals, I got a massage from Agnes, which was extremely relaxing and just with the right pressure applied. The lunch was great as well, and Santosh even prepared a special starter for me, since I did not like what was on the menu.

The guy (unfortunately I forgot his name) who drove me back to the airport made sure I did not miss a Cheetah and her two cubs feeding right next to the road and dropped me safely to the airport.

If there is anything to improve on I can only say the reading lamp in the living room area since I did not like the kind of light it gives, and the bathroom light is a little bit to weak to give a real good vision at night. But then again, if this is the only 'issue' during a stay, then I consider myself really lucky!

Great work, team Olare! Keep the good work up - I will be back again soon!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ConnyBillmeier
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara.
We are pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay at the property and had a special arrival welcome.
Its nice to hear that our colleagues in the Mara were able to make your stay magical. We will pass on your compliments to the team.
We have noted your concern’s regarding the reading lighting in the living room area and the bathroom and will definitely work on best solutions.
Happy to also hear that you got a pleasant send off from the Mara from the Cheetah and her cubs.
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We stayed there as a family of friends including a couple of grande dames and there was not a single thing to fault.
From Geoff the manager, to David my room attendant, David the driver to Santosh the sous chef, nothing was left to chance and everything was possible and done to the highest standards.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on your recent stay at Olare Mara Kempinski Mara. We are happy to hear that you had an excellent stay at the property, and Geoff, both David’s and Santosh were able to ensure your safari was excellent. Look forward to having you back with us in the near future.
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 1 April 2013

The location, food, rooms, and specially the STAFF is incredible. This hotel is a Jewel in the middle of the Masai Mara. I will definitively recommend it for honeymooners because everything about the place is absolutely romantic.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ortizbnatalia
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Olare Mara Kempinski Mara. Glad to hear that you had a perfect stay at the resort. The Masai Mara is indeed a romantic destination and ideal for intimate weddings comprising of close friends and family, it is also an extremely special venue for honeymooners beginning their journey together. Thank you for choosing Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara as your resort of choice in the Mara.