“My dream Safari”

Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara
Tampa, Florida
“My dream Safari”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

I was fortunately privileged to stay at the Olare Mara Kempinski due to overbooking at another hotel/camp in the Masai mara ( thank god). My experience was par excellence. Right from the pick up at the air strip, pre completed check in, delightful Masai dance welcome to an all inclusive 7 star experience.
Camp manager Geoffrey Mulwa was very helpful in our safari experience and always around to assist in all aspects. Esther , the assistant manager was on top of everything and together this team made our already great experience, a once in a life time memory.
The entire team from the cooks, the attendants, the watch men, the bartenders were all very attentive to our needs and made us feel very pampered. Kudos to Olare Mara Kempinski!

Room Tip: The resort is a tent resort in the Mara, so pick a room closer to the reception and dining/bar area...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
BernardMercier, General Manager at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for the feedback on your experience at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara and we are delighted to hear that you had an excellent stay with us.
The fact that you still remember the names of our colleagues really does indicate how much you valued your experience, we will most definitely transmit your positive feedback to them.

We look forward to having you back with us in the near future, if we can be of any support with your reservation, please let us know.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

In comparison to other African camps I visited, my safari experience at Olare Mara is by far the best. The service was excellent and filled with personal touches. All our meals were delicious and thoughtfully prepared using fresh, local ingredients, complete with vegetarian options too. The chef even came out to personally greet us at every meal. The manager was gracious, taking time to get to know us before suggesting activities that suit our tastes and interests. The staff made us feel welcome and well cared for. Our driver and guide were extremely knowledgeable about the wildlife and surroundings, sharing interesting anecdotes and trivia to remember them by.

Olare Mara is situated in the Olare Orok Conservancy, which limits human traffic. This allowed us to linger and observe the animals interacting in their natural environment without a crush of cars and noisy tourists spooking them away. We haven’t even checked into our camp yet and I already had my first wildlife encounter! On our way to camp, I saw a baby leopard up a tree, clinging to a dead antelope for dear life as it hung precariously on a branch above our heads. As the antelope came crashing down, I saw the look of despair on the baby leopard's face and felt as if the pages of National Geographic were unfolding and coming to life in front of me. Upon arriving at camp, we were greeted by a group of tall Maasai warriors jumping three feet in the air to the rhythm of a djembe drum performing a courtship dance. According to tradition, the warrior who jumps the highest gets the bride. Unfortunately there were no brides to be had that day, but they welcomed us with big smiles anyway.

After a delightful lunch of local bread, refreshing gazpacho, shrimp pasta and fruit meringue, we returned to the same tree and saw the mother leopard (who already returned the antelope on a higher branch) grooming her naughty baby. I saw an elephant funeral too, and the circle of life in full effect, as a pride of lions and a couple of vultures watched the other elephants walk away from their deceased comrade from a careful distance, anticipating their next meal. As I watched the beautiful sunset over the plains, with a spicy samosa in hand (thoughtfully provided by our guide), I could hardly believe my luck, and marveled at the fact that my Olare Mara experience had just begun.

At night, during our delicious dinner of salad, veggie kabobs and chocolate mousse, we could hear the lions nearby roaring as they enjoyed their dinner too. Getting escorted to my tent by a Masai warrior after dinner was a surreal experience. When I asked what he used to protect himself from the local lions as he walked back to his village, he held up a short wooden club and said, “This is all I need”.

To call it a tent would not do our lodging justice. It was spacious and luxurious, with shiny wooden floors, elegant furniture and touches of African charm. I didn’t even mind not having a TV, as the chattering monkeys, snorting hippos and roaring lions just outside our tent were enough to keep me entertained! The bathroom’s rain shower washed away the dust I accumulated from our safari drive. I could’ve also soaked in the above-ground tub or taken an outdoor shower but I just wasn’t comfortable bathing next to a herd of hippos nearby! After our cool nighttime game drive, our cozy beds greeted us, made warm by the thoughtfully placed water bottle beneath the blankets. The monkeys chattered above our glamorous tent as I drifted off to sleep.

The next day we woke up to birds chirping in the distance and an early morning game drive. The full cast of The Lion King was in attendance: hippos, giraffes, crocodiles, ducks (yes, ducks!) ostriches, wildebeest, hornbills, lions, zebras, warthogs, kudus, gazelles, lions, elephants and more! After watching the sunrise over the African savannah, we parked near a river full of bathing hippos and enjoyed an authentic “bush breakfast” complete with fresh fruits, cheeses, meats and champagne. We burned off the calories with a walking safari – another surreal experience. Imagine walking to your camp alongside hundreds of zebras, gazelles, and wildebeests. I felt like Moses parting the Red Sea as herds of these wild, hoofed creatures paved a way for us to pass safely. Of course, knowing that lions and leopards were lurking nearby added excitement to our walk. After some R&R on our deck overlooking the grasslands, we were treated to one last delicious lunch before our flight home. As our tiny 17-seat plane lifted off the ground, the animals below shrank to the size of ants and eventually disappeared below the clouds. I reflected on my short but memorable stay at Olare Mara, thankful for the unforgettable experience and hopeful that I will return again someday.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank bluemoon_000
BernardMercier, General Manager at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your comprehensive feedback on your stay at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara.
The details of your review make me feel like packing my safari bags and heading out on a trip to the Mara.
We will pass on your compliments to the team at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara. We are happy to hear that all aspects of your stay were delightful, from the property, service, food, bush dining experiences and game drives within Olare Orok Conservancy.
Look forward to having you back with us in the Mara soon. If we can be of any support with your reservation, please let us know.
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

Situated on the private Olare Orok Conservancy where game viewing is excellent. The wildlife is less stressed than in the National Reserve - with far less traffic and a much more enjoyable experience all-round.

The camp has huge tents, well it's hard to call them tents really. They look like tents and are made of a combination of bricks and mortar and canvas, with beautiful hardwood floors. The bathrooms are again large, with both shower and bath.

The guest areas range from a bar down by the swimming pool, and a lounge and dining area up above. I was interested in how 5-star would do camp cuisine - they didn't disappoint, even the bush breakfast was a step up from any other I'd had.

Staff and management seem to have got it all right - attentative but unobstrusive.

Other than the Mara migration crossings, you'd never have to leave the Conservancy, and I'd recommend giving the crossings a miss - they are a zoo with over 100-vehicles - best seen on National Geographic. Sad but true.....

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
BernardMercier, General Manager at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara.

We are extremely pleased to receive all the wonderful feedback regarding Olare Orok Conservency, the location of our camp, which is indeed very special.

Happy to also hear that you were pleased with the luxury of Kempinski in the midst of the Wilderness, in terms of spacious accommodation, bathroom facilities, dining facilities and great cuisine.

We will share your review with the team and look forward to hosting you in the Mara once again in the near future. In case there is anything that we can do to assist with your next reservation, please let us know.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Olare was an amazing, unforgettable experience. The staff are amazing (they remember your name, go out of their way for you and are most hospitable), the property is incredible (so comfortable in your "tent" if you can even call it that - it's better than many of the hotels I have stayed at elsewhere!) and the food is delicious (try the masala tea - we were addicted!!!). AND there's wifi!!! Yes, in the middle of the Mara!

We loved everything about our stay, right down to our amazing guide, Anthony. He was persistent and we saw everything we expected and more. We also had a blast doing so. Our last day we had a "bush breakfast" - yes, breakfast on the Mara. Seriously. It is truly a lifetime experience that everyone MUST do.

The property is small, which adds to the charm. There is no mass-tourism here. Everything has a personal touch. There is an option to visit a Masai village (which we did, at 30 USD per person - it was quite an experience but beware when trying to purchase items - very overpriced).

We are waiting to come back very very very soon. I highly recommend the Olare - you just can't go wrong.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Shiv G
BernardMercier, General Manager at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, we really appreciate the time you have taken to give us feedback on your stay.

We are delighted to hear that you had an unforgettable and comfortable stay at the resort. We will definitely pass on your compliments to the chef and his team in regard to the food and the Masala Chai, and Anthony too for the game drive experiences.

Look forward to having you back with us again in the near future, hope you will also visit our Nairobi property when you return, Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi. In case we can be of any assistance in regard to your reservation, please let us know.
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We visited olare mara kempinski and it was the best experience ever! From the hospitality to the game drives it was out of this world! Breakfast and lunch were outside under the sun and they arranged a surprise private dinner for us too! We stayed in the honeymoon tent and it was perfect! The guide who took us made sure we saw every type of animal our favourite was Malaika when she was on the safari car! Would definitely recommend this to anyone and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank 211corin
BernardMercier, General Manager at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara. We are delighted that you selected the resort as your preferred choice of accommodation in the Mara and enjoyed the game drives, Al fresco dining experiences and the Kempinski hospitality in the midst of the Wilderness.
Malaika and the team at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara look forward to having you back with us in the very near future. If we can be of any assistance with your reservation, please let us know.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

I had just spent three days at the Olare Mara and it is a superb experience. First of all, the attention of the staff from calling you by your name to understanding any dietary requierements is nothing short of a 5-star hotel. The food is very good, international - personally I would have liked to see African dishes served to complete the safari experience. At night, though animal noises may make you feel a bit nervous the first night, you quickly learn that you are their visitor and it is them who are giving you permission to stay. Its quite all right. We did the balloon ride, and it is just an amazong experience for all family members, my kids (18, 17, and 12), did not want to leave. I recommend this property absolutely, you will not regret it.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Carlos L
BernardMercier, General Manager at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara.
We are delighted to hear that your experience was great. We hope to have you and your family back in the near future.
We will definitely look into your suggestion for serving local authentic dishes.
Thank you for selecting Olare Mara Kempinski as your preferred accommodation choice in the Masai Mara.
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

i stayed in Olare for the first time over Easter was a fantastic experience. The staff are very friendly, you get to know them by name the game viewing is not comparable to any national park.
We had a twelve hour game drive with no complaint from drivers. My only criticism is if it is raining you have to get back to camp fast because of a river which can't be crossed otherwise

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank chand s
BernardMercier, General Manager at Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara. We are extremely pleased to hear that you you had a fantastic Easter break at the property. Olare Orok Conservancy is indeed very special for game viewing. We will most definitely pass on your compliments to our driver guides. Look forward to having you back with us in the near future, if there is anything that we can do to assist with your reservation, please do let us know.