“WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Big Time Safari Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Masai Mara National Reserve
Big Time Safari Camp
kinshasa
“WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

The BIG TIME SAFARI happened when i was looking for an agent for a four day safari in Masaimara and one of my friend suggested i should go with them. i must say right from my reception early in the morning at 0500hrs by David ...to the interaction in their office where i was given the itenary for my entire trip and to my pleasant surprise all the things mentioned in my emails to them prior to my visit were all present in the plan i received..which i think was very professional. I had booked a full day Nairobi tour for which i had an independent vehicle from 0900hrs till 2230hrs ...and following day i was picked up dot on time .....and we reached Miti Mingi camp very near to Oloolaimutia Gate ....it was nicely set up tented accomodation ...very basic but an excellent staff ...specially the chef who went out of his way to make some amazing indian food for me. The safari proper was one of the best experiences ...what made the difference was our guide Patrick ...because of whom we got the best possible safari experience that our group could have imagined.....his way of conducting the safari was very interesting and saw a whole lot of animals ...incl a leopard with his kill on a tree...which was just fantastic.... I was also helped out to book the baloon safari which was another extraordinary experience ....on my way back my train reservations were booked by them for Mombasa and David was kind to take me around to do a few personel work i had and also see me off right till the railway station of Nairobi....without any extra money.....it was a great experience owing to the fact that there are numerous small agents floating around who dont even have a office leave alone their own safari vehicles....so if you go with one of those you end up paying much more as they fix you up with some big safari agents and take the commission for it from your pocket......big time safaris WAS JUST THE RIGHT CHOICE.

Room Tip: Excellent value for money option...!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Lucknow, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

I visited the Masai Mara along with my family in July 2012. The accommodation was decent but could definitely do with a makeover. There was a problem of electricity with timings laid down and we had to go to the dining area for charging mobiles and cameras' batteries. There was no power sockets in the tents. However, the service was outstanding. The manager in charge was Mr Joseph and he was very particular in looking after us. Being vegetarian is a problem in Kenya, but both him and the cook looked after us really well. They were also considerate enough to cater for special needs of our two year old daughter.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

The tour in Kenya, including Masaimara/Nakuru/Borogia/Samburu/Amboseli is nice, with good guide Simon who has such a good eyesight, always looking for animals for us, and the home-made stype food is also good. Accomodation is basic as we expected, clean though, but have a little problem with these toilets, not working well. Anyhow, we had a good time there, seeing all big five.
However, when go into Tanzania, obviouly we were subcontracted to another company, and they changed our itenerary without prenotice. The accomodation is just a camp on the grass. Fortunately we did bring our sleeping bag. The food is worse too, limited meat not enough for all the people, and only a patato/banana sth soup for lunch. The worst part is the poor guide, alway talking on his phone, and show us only monkeys! They even ask for tips again and again after providing such a service!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank cicely c
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

Dear Traveller,

To put in briefly, I have never given any opinion on this kind of websites. This time I have to alert everyone wanting to buy trip form Big Time....!
I have to agree in 100% with previous travellers (given they opinion for the same agency).
Trip to Africa was the first one in our life(me and my husband).
When we came to Nairobi, we decided to go to the centre. Wondering around we were accosted by stranger. Alex was BTS representative. He seemed to be very nice and well informed. We went with him.
We were offered 2 safari trips. My husband really wanted to go Amboseli, so we decided to go for 3 night to Masai Mara and 2 for Amboselii. Private safari only with driver.
Our trip supposed to start at 7 but Tom our driver was late almost 30 minutes. Ok, no big deal
Then we were taken to Masai Mara camp (owned by BTS boss, John. This place was AWFULLY DIRTY, empty bottles, plastic cups everywhere. The tents were opened, so we could see what was inside. I literally could not breathe, I was shocked by this terrible view. And then was shown our accommodation OMG!!! I have never slept in my entire life in such a disgusting conditions, dust and insects, worms and maggots everywhere. The toilet was in an exceptional condition. NO WORDS to describe, see pictures.
After quick call to the boss, they rearrange our accommodation, we went to Sopa lodges (additional cost).Very nice and clean place. Good food, worth recommendation.
Besides our Driver, you can not call him quid, he had no knowledge about Parks, animals, very basic! Every time I tried to relax and listen the nature, animals he was talking on the phone - constantly!!! He never helped me with luggages ! I think He did not care!
Moreover I could not stop myself from being honest, so he started noticing my dissatisfaction. He became more less care.
Looking at economical Kenayan situation, there is big labour shortage. I did not understand his attitude. He was completely indifferent toward his job.
Anyway, 'picnic' is also worth to mention. We were in the middle of way to Amboseli, because we were travelling all day from Masai Mara to Nairobi(had to pay extras for changing accommodation, we were not given a choice to pay after safari, we were dragged via the worst traffic, wasting our precious time to the centre)and then from Nairobi to Amboseli. On the way to Amboseli we had a picnic on dirty and full of holes blanket! I will not mention food(disgusting)!!!
I will NOT RECCOMEND THIS TRAVEL AGENCY!!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Mikelesejno

Travellers are raving about these Masai Mara National Reserve hotels

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

We really enjoyed the whole safari tour with Big Time Company, the organization was perfect organization and everything works very well.

We saw beautiful landscapes and lot of animals. It was totaly amazing!

Our guide Jackson was very good, he did his best. He found animals in places we normally couldn´t see anything. Thanks him, ok?

In Tanzania the tour worked well, also, but Serengetti hadn´t lot of animals as Masai Mara Reserve, it was a little frustating because we were expecting to see scenes as Discovery Channel: Lot of wild beasts crossing rivers and others animals following them, but the balloon safari has offset the frustation, it was worth every penny.

I will certainly recommend your agency to my friends

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

We expected it to be on the cheap and shabby end, not disappointed. hot water and electricity limited, toilet didn't flush properly if you put any kind of solids down there (which is often the intent), zips on tent a bit dodgy, exposed wiring. However food was adequate and we didn't expect too much more. Bottle of strong duty free improves sleep immeasurably, much recommended to help the nights on (drinks at the camp bar are tourist prices as expected). Food was fine, good quantities, dodgy meat, and 45 minutes late when we got back from our morning safari, however the sausages were surprisingly good, and the staff friendly.

Room Tip: Book a hotel?
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jamiep84
Valencian Country, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

We paid 200 euros p/day a couple and the quality was lowwer, they don´t provide you towels
BIG TIME SAFARI CAMP is not for paying more than 40 euros/night double tent
You have to know that fee entrance to the Nature PArk is for 24 hours, so if you come in Monday at 16:00 you can come in again Tuesday morning util 16:00 h
Be careful, the best is if you are a group at least 4 persons, to rent a van with driver and pay directly the camp and the fee entrances

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
#74 of 140 in Masai Mara National Reserve
Mara Sidai Camp
Mara Sidai Camp
#87 of 140 in Masai Mara National Reserve

Been to Big Time Safari Camp? Share your experiences!