“Impeccable Service, Warm, Friendly People”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Masai Mara National Reserve
andBeyond Bateleur Camp
Kensington, Maryland
“Impeccable Service, Warm, Friendly People”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We spent three days and two nights at &Beyond's Bateleur Camp and couldn't have been more pleased. The staff was warm and attentive and seemed genuinely concerned with meeting our needs. The tents were well-appointed and comfortable; the lodge was gorgeous; the meals were delicious and Moses, our safari guide, was wonderful. My one piece of advice to anyone contemplating a trip to the Masai Mara and to either of the &Beyond camps there would be to take advantage of the bush walks. You are going to need the excercise to work off the wonderful meals.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed at Bateleur Camp for 3 days recently and found this spot a gem from a previous era. It takes you right back to the old days of luxury camps with leather suitcases on display nod silver and crystal on the dinner tables.

Staff here were more than obliging in every way from top management to security guards who always see you back to tent during hours of darkness.

There were 2 safari trips every day weather permitting and boy were there plenty of animals to see. All big 5 were seen as well as some rarities - a giraffe in the process of giving birth and giraffes crossing the Mara River. It may have been after the wildebeest crossings but they was loads of others to see.

Our guide Luke had wonderful eye sight and could see animals amazingly well. He also was a pretty mean chef at bush breakfast.

All in all a wonderful spot for a safari.

Room Tip: Higher room numbers are nearer the reception and dining areas
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Havelock, Canada
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Bateleur for 4 nights in mid September. It was part of our 3 week adventure and this place does not disappoint!!The Beyond Bateleur is first class all the way and puts many 5 star hotels to shame. The level of service is truly incredible!!! The food was fabulous.!!! The tented rooms.... Pure Heaven!!!! The whole staff go out of their way every second of the day and cater to your every whim!!! I have travelled all over the world and can honestly say that I have never seen a staff with such professionalism combined with genuine hospitality...I think their secret is out..... They truly care about their guests and really want them to have the most memorable experience of a life time!! Gazing out onto the Masai Mara from you tented deck.....WOW!!!! Our Guide Wilson was just incredible!!! Saw the BIG 5 many times over as well as tons of other african creatures. He aims to please and doesn't disappoint .....Chui and Joseph could teach some chef's at large resorts a thing or two....The manager Milka....what can I say...Thank-you for memories...the 200% of yourself with the most amazing heartwarming smile ever!!!!!

The Bateleur Camp will not disappoint...Magical and Memorable....a dream realized .... Some wonderful surprises await you on arrival and departure....

I enjoyed every single place on our 3 week safari but Bateleur and the staff hold a special place in my heart!!!!!
Miss you...hugs n kisses,
Irene and Guy

Room Tip: All the tented rooms are spectacular and have amazing views of the Masai Mara
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Irene R
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

On arrival to Batelure Camp we were greeted with open arms and song. It just kept getting better and better from there. When you enter the living and dining area the view of the Mara leaves you breathless and both of us had tears of awe and wonder running down our face. James Morinte our beloved guide and now family :) showed us the most amazing sights and explained everything with such passion and detail. We were honored to visit his home and family. Everything from the game drives to food to accommodations and the staff are superb here. Wilfred our waiter is a special man along with all the staff you won't regret staying here. Thank you again Custom Safaris. We will be back.

Stayed October 2013
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 1 October 2013

And Beyond's staff is amazing. From the minute we made our booking from And beyond to final farewell it has been an outstanding service. The camp itself is camp of miracle. Truly exceptional journey throughout our Safari trip. Can't wait to go back with AndBeyond.

Keep up the good work!!

Room Tip: Choose rooms from 19 to 15..the others are far away from the lobby area :)
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Metinsen
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The following is my husband's review of our recent trip, including commentary regarding Bateleur Camp. I post it here in it's entirety, although it is not Bateleur specific, as I cannot find a spot to post a review of &Beyond as an entity. To his comments I would simply add that of the 3 camps we visited, Bateleur was the one to which I would most like to return: impeccable service, delectable food and guides and animal viewing beyond our expectations. Other Bateleur specific items not mentioned in the general review: 1. the optional balloon safari and breakfast was fantastic, and resulted in our best rhino viewing of the trip. 2. The Bateleur camp staff arranged a surprise dinner along the river for us, away from camp, after an evening game drive. We were treated to a visit by Masai dancers during the dinner, which was an experience not to be missed. 3. My husband was able to have a massage in our "tent" overlooking the Mara, which he greatly enjoyed. I cannot over-emphasize the extent to which we were catered to.

And now the epic review:
My family and my brother’s family, six adults and three children in total, went on an eight day African safari in June, 2013. Anika Oosthuizen of & Beyond planned our trip. We went to three different camps: Bateleur Camp Masi Mara, Serengeti under Canvas, and Ngorongoro Crater Lodge. We had a spectacular time. I can wholeheartedly recommend & Beyond and Anika. They did a wonderful job. We saw countless animals (including all of the big five). The staff treated us like royalty, and the trip ran like clockwork. We never had to think about, let alone worry about, our schedule or travel logistics. We were able to relax and enjoy the show.
It is difficult to convey in words how superb the animal viewing was. We were able to drive within twenty yards of giraffes, lions, cheetahs, elephants, and most other animals with such frequency that, by the end of the trip, it had become almost routine. On the drive from the airstrip upon our arrival at the first camp, Bateleur, we saw elephants, giraffes, a pride of about fourteen lions (one of which was lounging in a tree), and countless other quadrupeds. That evening, still on our first day, we saw two lionesses from the same pride hunt, kill, and (with the help of the other hungry pride members) rapaciously devour a warthog. Within two days, we had seen all of the big five, including the elusive leopard and the rare rhino. I cannot imagine better animal viewing unless it is staged.
The use of the word “camp” to describe the accommodations is a misnomer. To be sure, at Bateleur and Serengeti under Canvass, you sleep in a canvas walled structure. However, this is where the comparison to what one typically envisions as a camp ends. Inside each tent are a proper full sized bed, cabinets, and all the other furniture that one expects to find in a luxury hotel room . The butler at Bateleur placed two rubber hot water bottles below the sheets at night. As a result of what is surely a mighty logistical challenge, each tent at Serengeti under Canvas had flush toilets, running water and a shower.
Ngorongoro Crater Lodge is one of the best hotels I have ever visited, and I travel extensively on business worldwide. The rooms, which overlook the crater, are at least five hundred square feet, and come fully equipped. Upon returning from the safari, the butler draws a hot bath, complete with rose petals, in the traditional claw footed tub. Where else can you sit in the loo and gaze onto one of the UN World Heritage sites?
The staff at each camp was friendly, highly trained and professional. It is worth noting that they are also locals. The staff took care of us very well; spoiled us, in fact. I felt like I was living in Victorian England. Each morning, a butler arrived to your room with delicious hot coffee (hot chocolate for the kids), biscuits and the warm “jambo jambo” greeting. Oh, and then you went to breakfast.
I like my cocktails, and I was therefore delighted to learn that anytime was the right time for a gin and tonic. The food, especially the soup, was outstanding. I ate so much that I gained weight.

The guides deserve special mention. I learned that they must attend and pass a rigorous field course before they can serve as game guides. Their training showed. But for their sharp eyes, we would not have seen several different animals, including the leopard. They were able to find and identify everything. My brother is an avid birder. He drove me half insane on the trip with his incessant questions about the birds. I was astonished to discover that the guides at each camp knew the birds better than he did. They were happy to accommodate and fuel his avian obsession.
I will admit that, although I consider myself to be adventurous and have travelled extensively, before the trip I was somewhat apprehensive about safety and logistics. I was traveling with my wife and three children (aged 16, 14, and 12) in and out of Nairobi. My apprehension was unwarranted. Upon arrival at the airport, we were greeted by a friendly man who took us to our hotel. From that moment onwards, & Beyond looked after us completely until we were standing in line at the Nairobi airport for our return flight eight days later. I did not have to worry about any travel arrangements. I was able to shut my mind off, and let others take the lead. Anyone who travels with kids will appreciate how significant this is, especially given the complexity of travelling between the three camps using primitive airstrips and twice crossing the border between Kenya and Tanzania.
I should also note that, to its credit, & Beyond will arrange to take you on a side trip to see a local village. I did this with my kids so that they could see what life is really like in east Africa, lest the superlative service on our safari create a false impression. I recommend this to anyone who has the time.
The bottom line is that anyone interested in an African safari who has the means should use & Beyond. Although the price may seem high at first blush, the reality is that it is a great value for what you receive in terms of game viewing, service, accommodations, food and drink, and travel management. Why skimp when such an option is available?

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank hockeymomWI
Connecticut
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We are welcomed by singing staff and greeted with a wet washcloth and juice.
The open-air lodge is wonderfully decorated, peaceful, and looks out onto the bush where animals roam. We are escorted on a pathway through heavy foliage to our “tent,” which is perfectly appointed and extremely well-designed for comfort and usage. The floor and roof are permanent structures, but the walls are canvas with screened windows and a large zipped, screen opening to a terrace and view. The room has double sinks and double closets. The African motif throughout Bateleur is delightful and tasteful. We enjoyed special surprises. Service is excellent (both friendly and helpful), and the game drives excellent. We enjoyed the food, but I suggest you avoid eating lettuce. Wifi is confined to the reception areas.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends