“Luxury camping”

Mara Crossings Camp
“Luxury camping”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

From the time my group and I arrived at Mara Crossings Camp, we were treated extremely very well. On arrival by plane the camp provided us with transportation by Maasai warriors in traditional dress. They were all very friendly and informative. On the way to the camp they stopped at various places for us to see the wildlife and take pictures. They were able to spot animals that were well camouflaged in the grass that we wouldn't have normally seen. When we arrived at the camp, all the staff gave us a warm welcome. Shenaz one of the owners and Sejal explained some of the basics of the camp regarding the security by Maasai warriors, water supply, electricity, etc. At dark, there was a Maasai warrior immediately available to escort you to and from your tent. The setting of the camp overlooks the Mara River with hippos and plenty of chairs, tables, and umbrellas to relax under. My tent was well decorated, extremely clean, spacious, and fully furnished with real beds, chests, a writing desk, private flush toilet, shower, and sink. There were many nice touches like the warm water bottle for your feet at night, soaps and scents in the bathroom, bed turn down at night, water heated before a shower, and meals cooked by their chefs. Every dish I ate was excellent. I was spoiled rotten having such nice 5 star food cooked for me on the spot. There were omelets made to order. I especially liked the freshly made naan. The dining tables were always very well decorated. For different meals, they would also place the tables in different locations which was a nice change of scenery. At night there was a campfire with plenty of chairs to sit around comfortably. During the day, we went on safari. All the Masai guides were very flexible. Seruni and Nick I remember the best as being excellent and knowledgeable. Seruni could answer any question you could think of about animals. I am sure the rest of them could as well. All of them were pretty good drivers for the type of terrain they were going through. Staying at Mara Crossings Camp was better in food, service, and furnishings than some 5 star hotels I've stayed at, which merely had a nice lobby. I would highly recommend doing a safari and staying here to anyone.

Room Tip: Just make a reservation. All the rooms are very nice, immaculately clean, and beautifully decorated...

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
Amherstburg, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2013

After a week spent working very hard, our group went to Mara crossing. From the maasai greeting us on arrival til we left, it was an incredible experience. The accommodations were better than a five star hotel. The food was fantastic. The staff were there before you could ask for anything. The safari trips were a once in a lifetime experience. I felt pampered and safe at all times. Would highly recommend this beautiful place!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Rarely do I feel an urge to write a review, but our safari at Mara Crossings was nothing short of extraordinary. The camp is situated on the Mara River which provides beautiful scenery and the sound of the water and hippos at night is relaxing.

The accommodations-- the camp is brand new. As this was my first safari, when I heard the term, luxury tent, I was nervous. However, I now realize a tented camp is the way to go. The beds were quite comfortable. They provided a turndown in the evening, complete with a warm "water bottle" for your bed, as it was chilly in the evenings. This was a nice touch. All of the toiletries in the bathroom were provided and smelled of essential oils.

The food-- the chefs provided a delicious buffet lunch and breakfast (and omelettes and crepes made to order). The dinner menu had 3 options, and there was always a selection of vegetarian. The food was truly unbelievable. It rivals any fine dining in a large city.

Finally, the safari-- our location was excellent. We saw a 4 of the big 5, only lacking the rhino. Our guides were friendly and knowledgeable. They were not on a set timeframe, and made sure it was all about us. We also had the option of a hot air balloon, visiting a Masai village, and there was also an in house massage therapist.

I feel like the owners of this camp seemed to think of all the little details and extras. I would gladly stay there again.

Birmingham, Michigan
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Mara crossings camp is situated on the mara river. We stayed here after a medical mission and it was the perfect place to recharge our batteries after an exhausting week. The tents are beautifully decorated- each with its own hot shower and toilets. The food is 5 star- the chef cooks great dishes some with an Indian flair. The view over the mara river is breathtaking- there is an open area looking down on the river - a perfect place to sit and have a drink and watch the hippos and the rapids below. The lounge tent is beautifully furnished and has a fully stocked bar. The owners- Shenny and Sandev went out of their way to make our stay unforgettable and it certainly was.
I have been to 2 other safari camps and this is definately the best. I highly recommend this camp- you wont want to leave.
Claire, Michigan, USA. June 2013