we were due to stay here for two days. We arrived after a five hour journey by road and were asked to go for lunch before we received our room keys.
We went back to reception and were given keys to room 100 and would gave to be transported there by the courtesy shuttle bus. It is a ten minute journey from the hotel and from teh outside could be teh most amazing room but on the inside is something out of a horror film. Bare electrical wire, dirty rooms, broken tiles in the shower, dirty seats and furniture. The back of the house was looked as if no one had been there for many years.
We couldn't ask for transport back to teh main hotel as there was no telephone available and no electric working either. So we waited for our driver to go on safari. We invited him in and he couldn't believe his eyes. We went back to the hotel to change rooms - unfortunately there weren't any so we moved hotels for teh night and had our safari cut short. The way teh manager tried to deal with the situation was extremely poor and he lied to me on a number of occasions. The other hotel was 40 minutes away - we had to drive there at night - pitch black and on poor roads.
The next day the manager had done his best - he upgraded our room and had a cake brought to us in the restaurant. This could be one of the best hotels given its location. The wildlife is amazing, we had an elephant come to eat the vegetation outside our room at 3am and some zebras doing the same thing a little later.
We will go back - no doubt but we will never accept room 100 and neither should you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Over 700 square miles of lush, sun-drenched plains encircle Keekorok Lodge, the oldest property in the Masai Mara Game Reserve in southwest Kenya. The lodge was opened in 1962 and is ideally situated in the direct path of the spectacular animal migration that occurs every year from July to October. Guests can experience unparalleled safari adventures and morning and evening game drives are a must for anyone visiting the reserve ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Keekorok Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels Kenya/Masai Mara National Reserve