“So many other, nicer places to stay in the Mara” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels

Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels
“So many other, nicer places to stay in the Mara”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

i have just returned from two nights at Keekorok.

On Arrival at 12pm our room was not ready - I can accept this. We were directed to Hippo pool to watch hippos and were told 20 minutes. 30 mins later we returned to reception and was told it won't be long. We took a seat and waited. after another 20 minutes I asked again and was told it was ready - I am not sure why the man at reception would not have walked 5 metres to tell us this himself - we were the only people at reception.

The rooms are very small, smaller than what I am use to having stayed at many places around Kenya - It was very clean tho.

Meals were very average, servers a buffet that is very badly designed 'V' shape. The place is obviously geared to attract large tour groups from Asia which is fine and I accept that. I just do not like waiting patiently in line the chef bay and to be pushed out of the way by hordes of chinese business men - to which the chefs on duty do nothing about and even serve the omelette that I ordered to them. This happened at even meal time!!! Very large election of vegetarian dishes, including very bland salad options. The wait staff unresponsive and slow.

A huge disappointment was the 'afternoon tea' on the terrace. Luke warm syrup coffee is served from thermos jugs. This is the first place I have stayed in Kenya that does not serve cake or biscuits with afternoon tea. Especially as you have been on safari for hours and there is not food service from 2pm-7pm. Even the 'ala carte' coffee shop does not have any food to purchase! We have two children (aged 4 and 7) who are very hungry in the afternoon and there is nothing available, either inclusive or for purchase - not even a packet of nuts or crisp. On the second day we drove 15 kilometre to have snacks at the Sarova hotel. (At this hotel we were greeted nicely, sat outside under shade and had soda, ice-cream and complimentary crisps). Also, the tea and coffee in the room consisted of sugar and milk power. I had to call from tea and coffee and I got one tea bag and more sugar and powered milk. I called again and asked from coffee and I was told 'we have run out'. They had also had tun out of sparkling water and Petrol (all the tour books advise that keekorok has petrol and this was confirmed when I made the booking - for three days they did not have any, even tho I saw many petrol trucks in the park driving in and out)

The grounds are very large and maintained. However, unlike most huge lodges in the area/county it lacks outdoor seating. I enquired if there was a games room (generally in most monster lodge) nothing. I asked if there was an evening bonfire (a must at every lodge that I have stayed at. The man at reception would not even give me eye contact when I asked these questions.

The icing on the cake would be our last morning. We woke at 6am to go on a game drive. We returned just before 8am to get ready for breakfast. Even though we had 'do not disturb' on our door our beds linen and towels were removed from the room and not replaced. (prior to leaving we had started packing and our bags were laid out on the beds). I called the switch board to explain and ask for towels - No apologies. Noting arrived 10 minutes later. I went looking for towels and found one from a man servicing a room. On check out I explained how this was unacceptable as we may have wanted to rest more as check out was stated at 10.30am. I got no apology only 'we need, very busy'. I tried to explain calmly that we are still guests in the hotel who have paid until 10.30 - the manger was not interested. On check out I wanted to pay for our drinks (no food as there wasn't any to buy' - my card was already charged, even after I was querying one third of the charges (about $10.00 out of 30.00). The duty manager could not explain the chargers. I asked for the bills that I would have signed to charge to my room - These could not be found. after 20 minutes of waiting I gave up and decided to leave and start the 5 hour drive back to Nairobi.

The only thing that stopped me rating this 1 star is that it is in a great location and it has a great hippo pool.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Wasp_Sprout

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

I and my wife stayed her for 2 days and you cant fault this place.From the minute we arrived we were well treated and looked after by the staff.
The customer service was always excellent and promt when requested.The staff were always helpful.
The restaurant has a wide variety of food choice and the indian food is brilliant at lunch and dinner.
Our rooms were clean and they come to your rooms at around 6pm to put the mosquito nets up at night which was brilliant due to its location.
Their is Hippo area on the lodge,The best time to see them is at night when they are out and about cause during the day they are in the lake.
Theirs are nice solvenier shop at the place as well.
Our safari was the best of all we spotted a leopard which is rare and all the main animals and birds of all species and our guide was very professional.
An excellent place and highly reccommended to anyone looking at going.

Room Tip: Book it you wont regret it
2 Thank SAGAR A
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed at this lodge for 2 days with wife and my 11 year old son. The room allotted was room no 80... we had asked for an extra bed for my son and this was provided for along with a mosquito net. Rooms were clean, comfy with adequate charging ports. The hotel is superbly located right in the middle of the Masai Mara. Plenty of wildlife all around moment you step out of the hotel gate. . There is a wide variety of buffet food provided to suit various palates and the restaurant staff was very helpful and courteous. I particularly remember Sarah in the restaurant and Bernard at the front desk.Would like the hotel to have free wi-fi and have some bird baths or bird feeding trays placed on the property to attract some birds .Overall would recommend this place to anybody planning to visit the Masai Mara and looking at hotel options in the area.

1 Thank Dineshkamath
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Had an excellent time during our stay at Keekorok lodge , the location of this lodge is just perfect for the game drive, very well maintained lodge with very courteous staff, few things that wasnt as expected or upto mark was we were charged for the washing of linens/towels which generally doesnt happen in a proper 4/5star lodge and we were neither told about it in advance . the food was very average and deserts too...wish it had good food too. overall it was a good experience to stay here ..
Thanks & Brgds
Sujith,J

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sujith j
Peebles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

we were due to stay here for two days. We arrived after a five hour journey by road and were asked to go for lunch before we received our room keys.
We went back to reception and were given keys to room 100 and would gave to be transported there by the courtesy shuttle bus. It is a ten minute journey from the hotel and from teh outside could be teh most amazing room but on the inside is something out of a horror film. Bare electrical wire, dirty rooms, broken tiles in the shower, dirty seats and furniture. The back of the house was looked as if no one had been there for many years.
We couldn't ask for transport back to teh main hotel as there was no telephone available and no electric working either. So we waited for our driver to go on safari. We invited him in and he couldn't believe his eyes. We went back to the hotel to change rooms - unfortunately there weren't any so we moved hotels for teh night and had our safari cut short. The way teh manager tried to deal with the situation was extremely poor and he lied to me on a number of occasions. The other hotel was 40 minutes away - we had to drive there at night - pitch black and on poor roads.
The next day the manager had done his best - he upgraded our room and had a cake brought to us in the restaurant. This could be one of the best hotels given its location. The wildlife is amazing, we had an elephant come to eat the vegetation outside our room at 3am and some zebras doing the same thing a little later.
We will go back - no doubt but we will never accept room 100 and neither should you.

Room Tip: Do not accept room 100 - its only used when the hotel is fully booked!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Peeblesman
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed at this lodge for two days. The rooms were comfortable and had the rain shower was an added bonus. The location of the lodge is superb. We saw the "Big Five" within 24 hours! The food was good although mainly catering to the vegetarian diet.
Pros: courteous staff and great location
Cons: Had to pay for internet; No hot water at 5:15am; smelly towels

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms near the Hippo pool! If the wind changes direction you may need to use an air-freshe...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Keekorok Lodge has to be the best location in the Masai Mara to build a lodge as it is immediately adjacent to a natural watering hole, making this a magnet for all the wildlife. There is so much wildlife to see before you have even left the lodge, but as soon as you do go out on a drive, all the wildlife is there to see. Indeed we were lucky enough to see all the Big Five, just on one drive.

We stayed in room 40, that's next door but one to the Hippo Pool (watering hole), so whilst it is novel to hear the hippos, a pair of earplugs is useful. The rooms are clean and are more than adequate, if a little dated. It would be nice to have a few more sockets, and free WiFi, but I understand this is to be introduced in 2014.

The food was plentiful, and nothing was too much problem. We were late back from an early morning drive one day, and they had run out of bacon, even though it was outside the breakfast window, some more bacon was quickly rustled up for us. In the evening, check out the naan bread man, and the guys who'll make you some pasta, with whatever sauce you choose.

This was the most excellent stay, and I really hope I am privileged enough to return. Last of all, I do recommend you fly in, as the roads are rough and long.