“AMAZING!!”

Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels
warwickshire
“AMAZING!!”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Beautiful boutique hotel with fabulous staff that can't do enough. Very friendly and the location in the heart of the Masai Mara couldn't be better. The walkways allow you to get out into the plains and see animals and the hippo pool. At night animals sometimes come into the gardens, you are looked after by staff and can be escorted back to your room if you wander out and are worried about the animals. We had no problems, it was amazing sitting on the patio in the evening as a zebra grazes nearby! The Masai Warriors came in after dinner and did their traditional dances for us, happy for us to join in too! The food is lovely. Drink prices are usual for a nice UK bar. The rooms have a full glass view at the front so you can look out into the gardens. There is a swimming pool, hammocks, sun loungers and monkeys to keep you entertained! The safari is just fantastic. You won't regret booking this hotel. I have never returned to a hotel in my life as I like to try new places. This is one place I would come back to again.... and again... :-)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rachel D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 7 January 2014

If you're looking for fun and adventure this is the place to go! Obviously you're there for the game drives so you're out there! They do tell you there are several times throughout the day they shut the power off to conserve. Try to take your showers before that happens! The rooms are not entirely sealed so there is a chance you could experience bugs. We fortunately did not encounter anything. They do come in and turn down the rooms and spray. The food is good, the staff was ok too. The one thing I would watch is that they ask for your passport and once we arrived they gave us a form to fill out and on the back was a copy of someone's passport. Our group was not happy about that and refused to give them our passports but gave our number only. The monkies are crazy! As your sitting on the back enjoying coffee they will come up to the tables if a glass is left and steal the sugar or drink out of the cups. Its a riot to see and you'll want to take pictures. We were taking pictures for 2 days and I got too close to a baby and 2 of the adults came after me and got onto my shoes, scared me to death because there were a hundred of them around! Everyone was taking pics close up, I think because a baby was crying they felt I was a threat. I was able to walk away but be cautious because we were told they will bite. The hippo pond is great! So much fun to walk down there in the evening and have a drink and watch them come in! I had a massage there too and for 38 dollars, well worth it! It's a fun experience!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank araymond89
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The location cannot be beat. The rooms are clean, well-designed, with comfortable beds. The hotel is unfenced and so animals can wander onto the grounds. The hippo pool provides an amazing vantage point from which, you can view hippos and other wildlife. We had a close encounter with a baboon and got to see a buffalo from very close distance. You have to be careful about the vervet monkeys, as we watched some follow some children into a room to grab cookies.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The food was, however, somewhat disappointing. It was all buffet style. The selection was average. Everything was covered with lids, which resulted in some really soggy items (e.g., some not so crispy fried fish). Some of the desserts tasted stale. The croissants were poorly made, and the chef clearly needs a new recipe.

1 Thank BussiaTravels
Nottinghamshire
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for two nights and found the room to be very clean but very basic. The bed was comfy, the shower room was good, however a couple of comfy chairs in the room to relax in would have made our stay better. The staff were not particularly engaging infant quite remote. The coffee and tea were very poor, what a shame as a coffee producing country fresh coffee would be served. We spent very little time at the hotel as we had the good fortune to go out on a full day game drive. The hotel did provide picnic lunches for us and our driver and these were quite acceptable.

We did purchase a post card at the shop, which they said they would post but alas this has never made it to the UK. The ones we purchased at Lake Naivasha Country Club all arrived at their destination.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Griffin229
Reviewed 4 January 2014

i have just returned from two nights at Keekorok.

On Arrival at 12pm our room was not ready - I can accept this. We were directed to Hippo pool to watch hippos and were told 20 minutes. 30 mins later we returned to reception and was told it won't be long. We took a seat and waited. after another 20 minutes I asked again and was told it was ready - I am not sure why the man at reception would not have walked 5 metres to tell us this himself - we were the only people at reception.

The rooms are very small, smaller than what I am use to having stayed at many places around Kenya - It was very clean tho.

Meals were very average, servers a buffet that is very badly designed 'V' shape. The place is obviously geared to attract large tour groups from Asia which is fine and I accept that. I just do not like waiting patiently in line the chef bay and to be pushed out of the way by hordes of chinese business men - to which the chefs on duty do nothing about and even serve the omelette that I ordered to them. This happened at even meal time!!! Very large election of vegetarian dishes, including very bland salad options. The wait staff unresponsive and slow.

A huge disappointment was the 'afternoon tea' on the terrace. Luke warm syrup coffee is served from thermos jugs. This is the first place I have stayed in Kenya that does not serve cake or biscuits with afternoon tea. Especially as you have been on safari for hours and there is not food service from 2pm-7pm. Even the 'ala carte' coffee shop does not have any food to purchase! We have two children (aged 4 and 7) who are very hungry in the afternoon and there is nothing available, either inclusive or for purchase - not even a packet of nuts or crisp. On the second day we drove 15 kilometre to have snacks at the Sarova hotel. (At this hotel we were greeted nicely, sat outside under shade and had soda, ice-cream and complimentary crisps). Also, the tea and coffee in the room consisted of sugar and milk power. I had to call from tea and coffee and I got one tea bag and more sugar and powered milk. I called again and asked from coffee and I was told 'we have run out'. They had also had tun out of sparkling water and Petrol (all the tour books advise that keekorok has petrol and this was confirmed when I made the booking - for three days they did not have any, even tho I saw many petrol trucks in the park driving in and out)

The grounds are very large and maintained. However, unlike most huge lodges in the area/county it lacks outdoor seating. I enquired if there was a games room (generally in most monster lodge) nothing. I asked if there was an evening bonfire (a must at every lodge that I have stayed at. The man at reception would not even give me eye contact when I asked these questions.

The icing on the cake would be our last morning. We woke at 6am to go on a game drive. We returned just before 8am to get ready for breakfast. Even though we had 'do not disturb' on our door our beds linen and towels were removed from the room and not replaced. (prior to leaving we had started packing and our bags were laid out on the beds). I called the switch board to explain and ask for towels - No apologies. Noting arrived 10 minutes later. I went looking for towels and found one from a man servicing a room. On check out I explained how this was unacceptable as we may have wanted to rest more as check out was stated at 10.30am. I got no apology only 'we need, very busy'. I tried to explain calmly that we are still guests in the hotel who have paid until 10.30 - the manger was not interested. On check out I wanted to pay for our drinks (no food as there wasn't any to buy' - my card was already charged, even after I was querying one third of the charges (about $10.00 out of 30.00). The duty manager could not explain the chargers. I asked for the bills that I would have signed to charge to my room - These could not be found. after 20 minutes of waiting I gave up and decided to leave and start the 5 hour drive back to Nairobi.

The only thing that stopped me rating this 1 star is that it is in a great location and it has a great hippo pool.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Wasp_Sprout
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I and my wife stayed her for 2 days and you cant fault this place.From the minute we arrived we were well treated and looked after by the staff.
The customer service was always excellent and promt when requested.The staff were always helpful.
The restaurant has a wide variety of food choice and the indian food is brilliant at lunch and dinner.
Our rooms were clean and they come to your rooms at around 6pm to put the mosquito nets up at night which was brilliant due to its location.
Their is Hippo area on the lodge,The best time to see them is at night when they are out and about cause during the day they are in the lake.
Theirs are nice solvenier shop at the place as well.
Our safari was the best of all we spotted a leopard which is rare and all the main animals and birds of all species and our guide was very professional.
An excellent place and highly reccommended to anyone looking at going.

Room Tip: Book it you wont regret it
2 Thank SAGAR A
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed at this lodge for 2 days with wife and my 11 year old son. The room allotted was room no 80... we had asked for an extra bed for my son and this was provided for along with a mosquito net. Rooms were clean, comfy with adequate charging ports. The hotel is superbly located right in the middle of the Masai Mara. Plenty of wildlife all around moment you step out of the hotel gate. . There is a wide variety of buffet food provided to suit various palates and the restaurant staff was very helpful and courteous. I particularly remember Sarah in the restaurant and Bernard at the front desk.Would like the hotel to have free wi-fi and have some bird baths or bird feeding trays placed on the property to attract some birds .Overall would recommend this place to anybody planning to visit the Masai Mara and looking at hotel options in the area.

1 Thank Dineshkamath