“Safari in Kenya”

Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Keekorok Lodge was very welcoming and the staff are superbly trained and helpful. The food was generally excellent but when supplies run low as they must do so far out in the bush they still came up with a very acceptable meal even though we were four hours late in arriving. The rooms were very clean and comfortable and the game viewing, balloon trip and hippo pool make it even more magical. Well done the Lodge staff, at every level.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good but some are further away from the restaurant and bar. Make sure you call a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank CMW139
Write a ReviewReviews (1,097)

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed here as part of our honeymoon. We were upgraded to a lodge on arrival and our room was lovely, very quiet and secluded. The food was a little hit and miss, but inevitable when trying to cater for so many different cultures. The freshly made chappatis however were amazing! The hippo pool was a great twist. Staff were generally very friendly and helpful. It's a shame they don't offer free wifi.

Room Tip: I think it would be worth paying to upgrade to a lodge - they feel very special and unusual.
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I spent two nights here in May on a private safari. The ride out here is quite an experience but Masai Mara and Keekorok are worth the drive. I booked through Lion Trails Safaris so I do not know the price I paid but as a single it was a bit expensive for my overall trip....not that I'm complaining because I had an amazing experience.

The staff is very welcoming and everyone is very pleasant. On my last day, we were 1 hour early for lunch and they actually made me a special lunch so I could get on my way to the airport in Nairobi. Good they did because there was a HUGE traffic jam in Nairobi and I may not have made my flight.

The hotel could probably use some updating but it was very clean and all furniture was in good shape. I had no problem with hot water for showers and the shutdown of electric 3 times daily didn't impact me. The hotel provides lots of water in the room and I had soda with lunch and dinner that wasn't too expensive.

The room was a bit noisy because the folks in the rooms surrounding me were quite loud.

The property is very special with trails and walkways to bring you right into the animals: giraffes, elephants, baboons, monkeys, hippos, etc. and a bar out there as well. Keekorok is right in the thick of many great viewing areas and I think may be better positioned than other lodges. The swimming pool looked a bit out dated though. They had evening entertainment with local dancers and that was enjoyable.

The food was OK....not outstanding but not bad. Good selection at all meals and I was able to find something at each meal at the buffet when I wasn't being pushed out by some rude guests. The staff remembered me each day and kept checking up on me. I think they felt bad because I was solo. The cooks making the fresh hot food at each meal were so patient with some guests for which it was needed and did a good job.

I hope to go back to Keekorok with my wife at some point and hope to see the migration.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We were here 3 nights.
The room was nice, The Hippo bar a fun sight. This is a small bar on a suspended boardwalk almost over an active hippo pool. Lots of other animals and birds to see, too. No pressure to buy a drink.
So what's the problem? The dining room buffet was a bit like feeding the hogs. The same food seemed to be served from meal to meal. Ambiance did not come close to our other lodge experiences.
In two weeks time, this was the only lodge that charged for wifi. In today's age, that seems a bit like charging "by the flush".

2  Thank jbwhitehouse
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Rooms are very old and dated - needing a good clean, restaurant offers 2* comfort. Buffet lacks any quality ingredients, e.g. breakfast orange juice is orange squash, 'chicken' sausages !! and bacon you'd not feed to a dog. Lunch and Dinner are also buffet style equally as awful. There was no Tusker or other form of beer available to buy from the bar, and only wine left was the very high end expensive bottles £50+.
This hotel is seriously over priced and no way derserves it's 5* rating.

It's in a fantastic location but seems to be still riding on 1950's rating when it was built, staff were as helpful as they could be - but if there's nothing in the fridge to serve what can thay do ??

8  Thank Hayley S S
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This was a lovely venue, the safari across the Masai Mara was amazing and Keekorak is right in the heart of the animal action. Staff could not have done more to make stay special. Food was excellent, and Masai warrior dancing every night was special. One small annoyance was the lack of good quality wine at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Marlene S
Reviewed 12 June 2014

After returning last week from keekorok we had the most amazing time. The game drives were excellent and all the staff at keekorok Were very kind. the rooms are a nice standard for the hotel. Loved everything about it. The only part I would say need to be improved is the food options. It was mainly Indian found so found my self eating rice and pasta most nights. Would be good to have more variety. Thanks again for the stay and would love to
Go back, big thank you too Samson at the hippo bar.

• Stayed: June 2014