“Nice lodge, great location”
Review of Mara Sopa Lodge

Mara Sopa Lodge
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

This lodge is located right next to amazing Masai Mara reservation. Personnel were really friendly and helpful, they made us feel safe and comfortable. Masai Mara reservation is unbelievable! We couldn't imagine how many animals are living in that area and how close we could get to them. We saw four out of The Big Five (Rhino we spotted in Lake Nakuru, so we got all five :-)) and a huge amount of other animals. This is a place we can recommend, go for it and enjoy Africa! Don't forget to visit unbelievable Masai village, it will open your eyes, how some people still want's to live.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aapo S
There are newer reviews for Mara Sopa Lodge

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Our stay at the Sopa Lodge was decent. For a lodge in the Masai Mara reserve, it met our 'general' expectations. The staff is friendly, the grounds are well kept and the restaurant served good food.

However, I'd like to put this out there as a warning to anyone that chooses to stay at this lodge. The staff (cleaners or security) have access to the safes and they will open your safe the first chance they get - not to steal everything in it, but to see if they can take a few things here and there, that might not be easily noticed as missing. Before choosing this place, we read some reviews that stated that the cleaning staff have a habit of stealing little things from luggage, but that didn't concern us much because the Lodge provides safes in the rooms for valuables. Unfortunately for me, the theft that occurred on our stay was realized only after my wife and I left the Lodge - heading back to Nairobi.

When we arrived in Nairobi, we went to one of the local banks to exchange some money. As I did a total count of the dollar bills I had on me, which had been placed in the safe at the Sopa, I discovered that I was short of $300. I went to the lodge with $2,400 dollars (new $100 bills - neatly bank-wrapped)... and my count at the bank, after the stay at Sopa, was $2,100. I'm sure of this because I know how much I took on the trip and how much I had previously exchanged at the airport upon our arrival in Kenya. Needless to say, all our cash transactions were done with Kenyan Shillings at the Sopa Lodge.

For most, it might seem unlikely that the safes provided in hotel rooms can be breached (probably not even a thought for some). However, think about this... if for some reason you locked your safe and you forget the pass-code used, you can call the front desk for help and they will send security personnel to open the safe for you, using a master code. Besides, I'm sure there are instances where safes are locked by guests that have left the property for good... in cases like that, the hotels staff would have to be able to unlock the safes for new guests.

Unfortunately, it's very likely that at this Lodge (and probably many more around Kenya or anywhere in the world), that the bad/dishonest security staff and the cleaners work together to steal guests' valuables in the safes. In my case, I'm sure they saw the number of bills I had as a great opportunity to take just little enough to be unnoticed... luckily for the thief, I didn't notice anything odd with my safe while I was there and I didn't think to count my money at any point during my stay.

1  Thank tsanwo
Reviewed 25 December 2013

We have stayed over there for 4 days.We really enjoy the service of Sopa lodge specially the food was really excellent.There are lot of choices available in these 4 days.We never get a repeated dish.The cottages was really nice and calm.Even though the distance from lobby to our cottage was a bit far we really enjoyed the walk after dinner which is a bit scary but wonderful.The service personals was really helpful.Inn total i really love this place.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Our journey by van to the Mara Sopa lodge was extremely uncomfortable due to the large pot holes - we have 5 hours of it!
however the lodge was a nice relaxing relief. The rooms adequate, always hot water, a large shower area, huge bed, and we enjoyed the food here. I did spend some time by the swimming pool, the water very invigorating. The staff were excellent and friendly. We were soon in the game area and did see all big 5 and more besides. At night you could go to a look out to see animals coming close up for food, but this was quite near to a bar so rather noisy and hence the animals ran off!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank swift33
Reviewed 9 December 2013

It was an absolute pleasure to stay at the Mara Sopa Lodge. From reception staff and the bartenders to restaurant staff and security, everyone treated me with such kindness. I was traveling alone and enjoyed their hospitality and good cheer.

The room was also beautiful! Even though I saw pictures on Tripadvisor in advance, I wasn't prepared for how cool the room and whole complex would be. The pool is divine, as is the restaurant. I am glad that the wi-fi was in the public area, as it helped me be social, and have a break in my room. I appreciated the mosquito net and the comfortable bed and shower.

It was an exciting trip and a perfect location for exploring the Maasai Mara Reserve and for a powerful cultural visit to Maasai village nearby.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Kimberley42
Reviewed 23 November 2013

My wife and I just returned from safari and were here for two nights and it was nice. It is a basic, but nice place to est, sleep and relax after a long day gamd driving. The location is nice, set in a hillside with monkeys all over the place and very peaceful and quiet. The hotel rooms are nothing spectacular, but the beds are soft and the shower is hot and we slept good. The food was good, with many selections and a tasty, large breakfast buffet. I recommend staying here for safari, but be aware of the terrible road you travel to get there it is hours and hours on very rough and dusty dirt roads. It is a nice place overall for your safari.

Room Tip: They are all the same with no real views.
2  Thank brentsf
Reviewed 8 November 2013

The animal viewing is spectacular here. The roads within the park will rearrange your insides--super bad with more pot holes than road. The food is mediocre and the beds hard as boards. Our bedspread and general decor had seen much better days. Yet the Maasai are beautiful and friendly, as are all Kenyans!

3  Thank CoachOrem