“Like Luxury Camping”

Sarova Mara Game Camp
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Our group stayed here on our last two nights in Kenya. We arrived to cold towels and a staff with a great sense of humor. The tents are made of thick material and seemed to do a good job of keeping the bugs out. At night you can hear wildlife all around you, and I even almost stepped on a dikdik while making my way back to my tent. The tents are well furnished with a large bed, but I will just note that you have to duck a little while making your way to the back of the room. The food was buffet style and consistent (if not a tiny bit better) than some of the other lodges. The entertainment (Masai Mara village dancing) was quite a bit of fun and the bar featured a nice warm fireplace and plenty of comfortable seating. I really enjoyed my stay!

Room Tip: I didn't really notice any bad rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,104)

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed at the Sarova Mara Game Lodge In Sept 2013. The dirt roads leading to the lodge are rough but the pampering begins as soon as you arrive. Beautiful lobby area, outdoor pool, good restaurant and bar (not that you have any choice) and the deluxe tents are spectacular. The tents have polished wood floors and roof with canvass sides that the room staff roll up and down...
The tent was wonderfull with a hotel style Hot shower and Granite sink along with Quality full amenties, including coffee/Tea maker. in tent safe!
As it got little chilli at night. our turn- down service. included couple of hot water bottle to keep our feet warm in bed...The staff was excellent. i found the food to be little on the bland side. Don't get me wrong, this place had very good quality food, you name it they had it, Quite large selection....including Cooked to order steaks and lamb chops good. I asked the cheif to make my food little spicy, Since i am a very hot chilli eater, He went out of his way and cooked me up some Indian style Butter Chicken. Which i shared with other people from UK who we had met. We all loved it. Oh Yea!That hit that spot.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tino31
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We had the pleasure of staying here in July 2013. Upon arrival at the airstrip, we were picked up by our assigned game guide/driver Daniel who was a was a local maasai who was very polite, friendly, professional and professional. He helped us find and see 4 of the big five - buffalo, elephant, lion and rhino, but up till the last game drive, we had not seen a leopard, but through his persistence and knowledge, we were able to see not 1 leopard, but 3 of them, just feet in front of us and just 30 mins before we had to head back to the lodge to pick up our bags and fly back to Nairobi. A big plus for this camp is that your assigned guide remains with you for the duration of your stay, so he is always aware of your particular preferences and what has not been seen.

The level of service at the lodge was impeccable - from the room staff, to the activities director, to the staff in the restaurant who always welcomed us with a smile and advice on what was really good in the buffet for that day. The quality of the food was excellent, even if I don't normally like buffets - but their buffet is different - along with the preselected dishes, they had made-to-order stations for omelets, salads, grilled meat/fish and even an Indian chef that made chapatis to order!!

The tented rooms are gorgeously decorated and well equipped and appointed - kinda bush chic. Hot water (solar generated) was always available - the mornings are CHILLY!!

We took a tour of their organic garden and were impressed by the amount and variety of delicious vegetables available

The camp is very secure with an electrical fence that is not intrusive and the generators are located far enough away (within the camp) so you don't hear them.

Another impressive fact - I actually left an expensive camera in the vehicle that drove us to the airport strip for our flight to Nairobi. I only discovered this after arriving in Nairobi and so I quickly called the lodge and they quickly arranged to send it to my hotel in Nairobi!!

Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Try to plan your trip to arrive during the animal migration. Although we had not planned on this, we...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 October 2013

On my recent trip back to Kenya, I stayed twice at Sarova Mara. I just love the staff there. They treat me like absolute royalty and it becomes harder to leave each time I stay. ( I've lost count how many times I've been there.) Everything about the place is just gorgeous and it has become my home away from home and the staff are my "African family ". Nothing is too much trouble. I always love my "tent " ..the privacy , quietness and outlook. And to lie in bed at night and hear the animals over the fence is awesome. My room is always maintained to a high standard.

A stay in Kenya for me would not be complete without staying at Sarova Mara. I am already in planning mode for 2014 and totally looking forward to it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 October 2013

The dirt roads leading to the lodge are rough but the pampering begins as soon as you arrive. Beautiful lobby area, outdoor pool, good restaurant and bar (not that you have any choice) and the deluxe tents are spectacular. The tents have polished wood floors and roof with canvass sides that the room staff roll up and down each day. Large dressing areas and huge bathrooms, all with stone countertops, were a treat. Very comfortable! Some of the tents are a good walk away from the main public areas, so ask how long a walk it will be. Hint: Go to the overlook at dusk to sip a drink and watch animals wander through.

Room Tip: The deluxe tents can be a long walk away, so ask if you're concerned about the distance.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Our 7th visit felt like returning to paradise. As usual we were met at the airstrip by the ever smiling Ken driver /guide with cold glasses of fresh juice and cold face towels. At the lodge were welcomed by Francis G.M.and his competent team.A well placed Lodge in the nature reserve with clean rooms.From out tent we see zebras grazing .In the 5 days we saw the crossing ,the BIG FIVE and lions with cubs feeding on an Eland. The bush breakfast and lunch was well prepared and packed.The cooler was always stocked. A big Asante to Head Bartender Mohamed Bartender Daglous Waitress Esther Hostess Lucy F.B> Manager Mike and to all staff for their ever smiling services.Last but not least Grace for a great massage. Once again well done Sarova Team.Keep it up !! We will be BACK !

Room Tip: The clubdeluxe tents are spacious.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aftab_mohamedbhai
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed at the Sarova Mara Game Lodge In August 2013. We had tent 52 and 53 this was a bit of a trek from reception but well worth the walk. The tent was wonderfully maintained. We had a problem with the anti mosquito plug in, but the room attendant had it solved in no time at all what wonderful staff. The food was fantastic the grounds are amazing. The pool area is kept absolutely perfect. They have a lovely Bar area with a fantastic fire in the evenings so that you can have a drink and a chat with other visitors. There are hairdryers in the tents also a safe to keep your belonging in, all this at no extra cost Bravo Sarova. You have hot water at all times and hot water bottles placed in your Beds in the evening. I would recommend this lodge to everyone. Thank you Sarova for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: We had rooms 52 and 53 and it was very quiet in the evenings. There were small deer in the surround...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family