The people of Kenya are known for their lovely disposition and Sarova Mara Camp did not disappoint! From the people at the front desk to the waiters to the porters to the people running the very well-stocked gift shop to the people giving out towels at the pool to even the chef! - I was late for lunch and she went into the kitchen to rustle up a chicken dish and all the fixings. In particular, there is a waiter named Simon who made my stay feel like home. He was professional, attentive, lovely and just a real person. Alway making a point to greet me on my way back from safari or at dinnertime or whenever. He was truly special.
The buffet was terrific - wide array of great local as well as international dishes. An omelette station that I took full advantage of. Deserts galore… etc. Just great. In fact, on our last night there, they set up "Swahili Night" outside and it was so beautifully and tastefully done that we all thought it must have been for a private party but actually it was for the guests. There was even a singer who sang international favorites as well as Kenyan songs. And on another night, those amazing jumping Masai came and did their traditional dance! (we had visited their village earlier that day and they were so happy to see us. You might want to do that - visit a Masai village - in addition to doing safaris.
The tent room is not like a typical camping "tent" - it's quite gorgeous. The sides where it sloped down was a bit difficult for me because I am rather tall - but nothing so important to complain about! A lovely touch were the hot water bottles that they put inside the covers (which got turned down each night - constant sweet touches!) so that when I got into bed, it was quite cozy. I never had any mosquitoes (each room is set up with "mossie chips" and mosquito netting of course) although a praying mantis came to visit! I picked it up using the wastebasket and put it back out into the great outdoors.
I went to the pool twice and it was nice and clean. Not many people used it while I was there.
I was on an organized tour but apparently they can set up safaris for you if you need that service.
My one regret is that there is a vantage point (I don't remember what it was called) from which you can view the safari and I never got to go. So do go there. My friends said it was quite a nice view.
A true oasis in the bush!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sarova Mara Game Camp is located in the heart of the Maasai Mara Game Reserve in South West Kenya. It is 260 km from Nairobi, a 1-hour flight from Nairobi, 20-minute drive from the airstrip and a 5 1/2-hours drive from Nairobi on the new tarmac road. It is set on an elevation surrounded by two streams. The Camp is uniquely laid out over the sprawling grounds that include rolling manicured greens, a virtual mini forest of indigenous shrubs and exotic trees, a large pond stocked with fish, mini bird sanctuary and an authentic Maasai village adjoining the Camp. The Camp includes 20 club tents, 51 standard tents, 2 family tents, a main restaurant, bar and many bush dining options. The free form swimming pool has its own pool bar. In addition, it has its own fleet of well equipped safari vehicles with excellent guides. There are meeting rooms and numerous outdoor venues for dining and leisure. The entire Camp is surrounded by a 24 hour electric fence. The climate is very pleasant with clear warm days and cool nights Temperatures average from 26ْ C during the day to 12ْ C at night. There are sporadic rains in March, April, November & December. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Jovago.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Sarova Mara Game Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sarova Mara Game Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Sarova Mara Game Camp Kenya/Masai Mara National Reserve