“Marvellous Room!!!”

Sarova Mara Game Camp
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Marvellous Room in the form of luxury camp. Very clean bathroom and very nice room.

We stayed two nights at the Sarova Mara, and the were amazed by the room. Service was excellent throughout and this was the case for all the hotels we visited in Kenya.

Food was good and felt like it's repetitive as we had similar food for both days for lunch and dinner. But it's not a big deal as they had enough variety.
On the second day Masai dance group made a surprise appearance and their performance was good.
The only hiccup was we didn't have hot water, at best we had some warm water. However they had some issue with the power.
But overall excellent place to stay.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the main building
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iV0yager
Anthony K, Manager at Sarova Mara Game Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking time to give feedback on your stay with us. We do value your candid feedback as it goes a long way in making us improve. We are delighted by the very encouraging review and we have taken note of areas where we did not meet your expectations and will do everything to turn this around.

Karibu tena Mara.

There are newer reviews for Sarova Mara Game Camp

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

I was fortunate enough to visit the Sarova Mara Game Camp with my family for my first safari on my first trip to Africa. We were only on site for just over 48 hours, but the action never stopped.
There is only one restaurant on site, but the chefs are exceptional. The variety suited my 6ft 3in brother, and my 7 year old twin boys, with plenty of fresh fruit and healthy veggies. I recommend trying the bread pudding, a different kind at each meal. We had a picnic during our safari, and even that was gourmet. They offer a special bon fire dinner nightly, and the chef asked us to choose our meats, beverages, sides and desserts. They surprised us with a cake and celebratory song for my mom's birthday. The next day we were led away from the restaurant, down took the Salt Lick for Breakfast in the Bush. Other on site entertainment included a guitarist at the bar with the only TV in the lot, free Wi Fi, the spa, the pool, and a small game counter for ping pong, badminton supplies. (No clubs for mini golf).
But the real attraction is the animals. Our two Land Cruisers were the superior vehicles on the safari. Other tour companies stopped on the road to point towards animals. Our guide the take is off road, into the bush, where we found the lions. When we returned to the road, I gave him a peak of my picture. We did not see a Leopard or a rhino, but literally every other animal I expected, and many more that I never heard of, we saw in abundance. A pride of young male lions, two families of elephant traveling together, several adolescent giraffes feasting in the trees, zebras and wildebeest during the great migration, the African kip buffaloe's 'elders circle', piles of hippoes, and sunning crocodiles. We saw cheetahs chased off by a territorial lion, and a cheetah pushed out by a heard to Topi protected a Thompsons Gazelle. I would love to think that Mother Nature arranged a show just for me, but this is just another day in the lives of these majestic animals, and I am grateful to have a glimpse.
It had been wonderful. I recommend Sarova Mara 100 times over.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Anthony K, Manager at Sarova Mara Game Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for having chosen SWarova Mara Game Lodge for your stay during your visit to the maasai Mara. We are honoured to get such a lovely account of your breathtaking feedback on your experience with us. The team highly appreciates this and we sincerely look forward to your return.

Karibu tena.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Beautiful camp - stunning rooms, amazing cuisine, great guides (thanks Peter and Anthony - you were the best!) BUT one of our group had medication taken from their room. While staff members were scouring their tent to find it (it was not there - it had been thrown out or taken by the turn-down service) a ring belonging to her husband was removed from the tent (he had removed it to wash his hands and had not replaced it when his wife found her medication missing). Neither item was recovered and the attitude of management dismissive and insulting. We (10 of us) were offered a free bush breakfast on our last day. I explained that the persons needing compensation were the couple who lost precious items and politely declined. Again, front desk weak, rest of staff delightful (not withstanding those with sticky fingers). On the upside, they did have a resident doctor who was able to replace some of the lost meds, but not the anti-malarials. Fortunately I had some to spare (perhaps that is something they should have in stock!) Finally, while I'm happy to pay for alcoholic and soft drinks I really think charging for bottled water with meals is a bit much.

Room Tip: Club tent on the perimeter - wake up to Zebras and giraffe saying good morning. And don't forget...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lynne53
Anthony K, Manager at Sarova Mara Game Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear guest,

It was indeed a pleasure hosting your group during your recent visit to the Maasai Mara. We are happy that you had a 'WOW' experience as from your review. We thank you so very much for this.

However, from your review, your also express dissapointment in certain areas which we would like to shed some light on.

At Sarova Mara Game Lodge, we take pride in getting and developing highly trained employees at all levels. We also take pride in having engaged employees of high moral standings and integrity. This allegation is indeed 'a first' and bearing in mind the effort that the management put in trying to assist the clients, it is rather harsh to describe it as 'dismissive and insulting'. We run a very well stocked clinic and it is here that most of the surrounding lodges and camps seek medical assistance when their capacity is exceeded before they can refer. Being in the tropics, malaria is one of the most common ailment and as such very strange that there is this claim of us not having drugs in stock whereas we do have a wide variety of them. On the material day, the Clinical Officer in his effort to be of assistance to the client offered to replace the drugs that were claimed to have been lost and clearly the guests claimed that they had anti malarials from one in their team. Again this is strangely rather harsh.

We have noted the suggestion of bottled water with meals and will look into factoring this in our pricing in future as indeed the rates on our offer are relatively very competitive.

We highly appreciate your feedback as it does go a long way in helping us improve.

We do look forward to your next visit and assure you of a very memorable and restful stay with an even bigger 'Wow' moment.

Thank you.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Very luxurious, amazing food and catering even for veggies. Gorgeous swimming pool. Fantastic staff, good entertainment and great night game viewing even from inside the park. The Masai Mara is surely unrivalled in Africa for wildlife. Our guide Abdi Latif was the best we'd ever had. The only problem is the slight insecure feeling as you can't 'lock' your tent, just zip it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Anthony K, Manager at Sarova Mara Game Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear guest,

It was a pleasure hosting you and even more that we did meet your expectation. The team is highly encouraged by your feedback as it goes a long way in motivating the team to raise the bar.

We look forward to your earliest return and assure you of yet another 'refreshing african experience'.

Asante sana!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

we stayed at cottage no 74 and 75 right at the end of resort requiering lots of walking but these cottages about 10 are the biggest and the best. very spacious well plannned huge bathrooms veranda inthe front. excellent is the word.
however as with my other reviews of hotels in kenya you also need to provide more drinking water in rooms for indian travelllers and also on table with meals. provide health faucets in toilets.
need to i,prove the food quality.

Room Tip: choose the new added 10 tents at the end of property if you dont mind walking. otherwise closest to...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear guest,

We thank you for taking time to send this positive and encouraging review. We are happy that our club tents exceeded your expectations. Indeed we do have 20 club tents, 2 family tents and 51 standard tents. This gives clients the variety to choose from.

We have also taken note of the areas that you feel we could improve and will consider factoring the same in our pricing specifically to the issue on bottled water.

We look forward to your next visit.

Cheers!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

This was a return trip to the Sarova Mara Game Camp and the property continues to impress. The camp is located right in the Massai Mara. It is a tented camp, but don't let that concern you. The tents are well constructed and VERY comfortable. They are built over cement foundations and come well appointed with very comfortable furnishings and extremely comfortable bedding. The bathrooms are phenomenal! There are times when you will forget that you are in the middle of one of the most famous game reserves in the world! We felt spoiled and secure throughout our stay. They thought of everything to insure a wonderful stay....from bottles of water in the tent to a hot water bottle between the sheets when you retire in the evening.
The meals are served buffet style. There was always plenty of variety at each food service. We always found items that were tasty and enjoyable. We were especially pleased to see that they tried to incorporate several local dishes into the menu cycle. The breads are made fresh and some of the local breads are made in the ovens right in front of you!
The charm of this property, however, is the staff. From the moment you arrive at the main gate, you will be impressed with the level of attention and the professionalism of the people taking care of you. Throughout the property and throughout the day, we were always greeted warmly by the people that we met. The manager, Anthony, greeted us in the morning to see how our stay was going. The guards at night would walk us to our tent and make sure that all was well. You saw the same wait staff at all the meal services and they would be eager to ask you about your day. A particular shout out to Daniel and Mathew who made our stay an enjoyable one!
The one down side that we experienced was the weak WiFi service we had in the out lying tents. We were farther from the main lodge and our service was sporadic. Having more consistent service would have been beneficial since we were communicating with the folks at home via VIBER and the internet. But, again, we were in the middle of the Massai Mara, so the fact that we had a connection at all was a bonus!
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Sarova Mara Game Camp. I would stay there again on my next journey to Kenya and would recommend it to others who have a desire to experience a game safari in comfort and style. Asante Sana to the people of Sarova Mara Game Park for a wonderful experience and a wonderful holiday!

Room Tip: We stayed in Tent 58and 60. These tents are larger and bit better appointed, but are further away f...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear guest,

It is always a pleasure to have our return clientelle at Sarova Mara. Thank you for your continued support. Your candid review is very motivating to the team as we strive to build on service excellence.

We are working on the areas you have pin pointed as requiring improvement and we are sure that you will appreciate the difference in your next visit.

Karibu tena!

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed here 2 nights as part of a Globus tour. When we arrived at the camp, it was during one of their power outages to conserve energy. It delayed our check in, but not a big deal.

My tent was down the path from the main building. It was spacious and well appointed. The sleeping area is in a tent and then the tent extends to a permanent section where the bathroom is. The floor was VERY slippery and I found it was much safer to wear shoes at all times in the tent. I did note that I had to ask for bug spray as there was none in the room to spray the zipper with and bugs had gotten into the room. I also noted that they never replenished the bottled water in my room during my stay. On the second night, I discovered that they my tent was in between 2 families. They did not use the path and would walk on the woods side of my tent and even congregate there. I had zero privacy and had to keep the windows zipped when in the tent to temper the noise. I also paid for the internet and it never worked. The front desk immediately removed the charge from my reservation when I told them though.

The restaurant is impressive decoration wise, but I was disappointed in the offerings. The pasta was overcooked and I didn't find there to be much variety unless you enjoy food drenched in sauce. Others commented that the meat was tough and overcooked. The boxed lunch left much to be desired as well.

Overall, I enjoyed the tent experience itself, but the noisy family and other hiccups left much to be desired at this camp.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank anonymous9257
Anthony K, Manager at Sarova Mara Game Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for having chosen to stay with us. Your feedback is of value to us as we strive to improve in all aspects.

We have taken note on the areas that we did not meet your expectations with every intention to make improvements.

We do hope to host you once again in the near future and assure you of service excellence.

Thank you.