Fairmont Mara Safari Club
Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels(Masai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
US$190
US$178
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Azure Mara Haven(Masai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
US$291
Travelocity
Sarova Mara Game Camp(Masai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
US$228
  • Breakfast included
Mara Leisure Camp(Masai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
US$211
  • Breakfast included
Porini Mara Camp(Masai Mara National Reserve)
Mara West Camp(Masai Mara National Reserve)
  • Restaurant
Mara Siria Camp(Masai Mara National Reserve)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
AA Lodge Masai Mara(Masai Mara National Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
Leopard Hill(Masai Mara National Reserve)
TripAdvisor
Lobo Wildlife Lodge(Serengeti National Park)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshippo cornerthe rivergame driveswake up callroom attendantluxury tentsour waiterbeautiful propertygame driverthe main lodgehot coffeeelusive leopardshower and toiletour tour guidewonderful experiencehippos and crocseach morning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 August 2008

Would highly recommend this tented safari camp. It is luxurious, but still feel like you're getting a great safari experience. Here are my thoughts:

- Wow factor entrace lobby/ lounge area. The main communal area of the hotel is gorgeous, lots of leather sofas with a high vaulted celing. The outside decking area where you can have drinks and lunch overlooks the mara river. Every so often you can hear a hippo or see one swimming down the river.
- The accommodation is in individual well spaced out tented lodges. They have a hard base with canvas sides and top. It does feel like you're camping, but very firmly in a lovely 4 poster bed. It is everything that you would hope for in a safari lodge. Looking at some other websites, the tents might be smaller than other more expensive places, but plenty big enough for the limited time you'd spend in them. The bathroom is also lovely and colonial feeling marble basins. There is even an outside enclosed shower area.
- The safari themselves was absolutely amazing. You are allocated a guide on arrival, and we had 3 drives each day. We stayed 3 days/ 2 nights which is plenty to see everything you'd hope for. We had 6 people in total in our jeep, so we did not know them before. It works out fine, everyone has plenty of room and a window seat. Just make sure you take plenty of water and a hat. They supply water, but you might want extra, and the sun streaming through the open top roof makes a very hot head. We saw all the wildlife we had possibly hoped for. The abundance was absolutely amazing.
- The site of the whole camp felt very secure. I wasn't sure before arriving whether you'd be able to walk between tents and the main restaurant area, but you can. There is a huge fence surrounding the whole camp, so even at night you could walk around, and you're given a torch.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
6  Thank HelenBerkshire_UK
Reviewed 12 August 2008

We found this resort by accident, after being lost in the savanah looking for Masai Mara reserve.

You stay in Deluxe tents with showers and toilets, meals are included in the price.

They provide affordable safari packages with excellent guides

* hydro is turned off from 12:30 pm - 4:30 am to conserve energy.
This was my only concern as we had foodstuffs and insulin we us.

1  Thank FrankyandLouise
Reviewed 25 July 2008

We, did not stay with Fairmont, however we did witness woefully unprofessional behaviour from Fairmont's Mara guides and their vehicles.

It is impossible to be truly unobtrusive in the Masai Mara but on our final morning game drive I was staggered by the behaviour of Fairmont's and other companies' guides.

We (with our most excellent guide from another camp) were ourselves positioned maybe 400 metres or so away from a group of 6 lionesses (and out of their path) which were quite clearly stalking wildebeest from their cover in knee-high grass. At least they WERE stalking the wildebeest until upwards of 6 vehicles cut off their route, surrounded them and forced them into the bush.

The lions gave up and went hungry.

Now, I'm sure the tourists on those vehicles got some excellent photos and some nice close ups of lions (hard not to from 5 yards) but how much more spectacular it would be to view natural behaviour by one of the most amazing predators on earth. Just the previous night we had seen a wildebeest taken by a lioness and it was one of the most amazing sights I have ever seen close up. Those sights are rare and the likelihood of seeing it with the Fairmont guides that we saw that morning is probably slim to none.

This safari to the Mara was one of the most thrilling and enjoyable experiences of my life. I implore visitors to buy a long zoom lense for close up photos and don't be tempted to encourage guides to drive right up to wild animals, particularly the cats. You'll learn so much more about the animals from a distance.

Incidentally, my complaints to a Fairmont representative at the Ngerende airstrip that same afternoon were barely acknowledged and later, so I'm told by friends, dismissed.

I have no beef with Fairmont - I'm a tourist who happened to witness this behaviour and I have video and photos to prove it. Look up Largewood on Flickr if interested.

Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Largewood
Reviewed 22 June 2008

Christmas 2006. Spent 4 days in the Masai Mara what a treet. Arrived to a very friendly welcome from the staff and went straight to our Tent.This was an experience,It was fronting the Mara River and before I had unpacked I had counted over 30 hippos.The TENT WAS very well placed, cleen, a shower room and loo, Hot water and electricity, Now that's what I call camping. The tent was on stilts with a nice decking area over looking the river. The Tents are situated well appart from each other in the grounds of the main Lodge.The Lodge is with a thach roof and lots of beams, Dinning area ,Bar,Lounge with open fire and comfortable seeting. The food was I think the best I have had in any Lodge over the years.Nothing was to much trouble to the the staff all of whom friendly and pleasent. The Safari's are with very good and experienced driver/guides, and they knew so much about the area.The wild life in the Mara has to be the best.and you get the chance to get upclose to the animals,if like me you are a photographer, just heaven. All the Camps and Lodges in the Mara Are quite expensive but well worth it and you get what you pay for.I would reccomend this lodge as first class for accomodation and location and of course the food, You could survive on just the lunch all day, plenty to eat. To get to the Masai Mara takes a bit of travelling but can be reached from Mombasa/Nairobi in just a couple of hrs.The in park transport is either 4x4 or 6/8 seeter transits and every one gets a window seat.Its a great fun place to visit, then to sit round the fire in the evening at the lodge and relate your day's story's with fellow guest's, makes for a very sociable lodge.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank BRIDGETKOTCHIE
Reviewed 26 March 2008

Had another brilliant stay at this fantastic luxury tented safari site. Booked cheapest flights thru ebookers, and used **easternvacations-kenya.com** based in Mombasa to book the lodge and internal flights. Excellent service again, met us at Nairobi airport and arranged transfers on both incoming and outgoing flights.
Didn't bother with the beach - just spent 10 nights on the beautiful Maasai Mara at this lodge. Paradise!! 10 nights was still not long enough - and that followed the 14 nights we spent here last Autumn!

Stayed: March 2008